Johnson in Goblin's Camp

NOTICE: This forum is archived as read only.
Please use the Github Discussions at https://github.com/exult/exult/discussions
Forum rules
NOTICE: This forum is archived as read only.
Please use the Github Discussions at https://github.com/exult/exult/discussions
yhevhe

Johnson in Goblin's Camp

Post by yhevhe »

Well, I was just curious to know if there is some way to get Johnson to Monitor after releasing him from the Goblin's camp. I just couldn't make him go through the stairs in the caves... is he supposed to do nothing at all, or he goes automatically to Monitor, or is there some way of getting him go down the stairs?

Thanks, and sorry for the stupid question... :P
MV

Re: Johnson in Goblin's Camp

Post by MV »

Usually he just up and dies before you get to the stairs, (has a heart attack). Usually through the tunnels going south from the treasure room where you get the helm.

No, there is no way to get him back unless you carry his dead body.
yhevhe

Post by yhevhe »

How weird, he didn't die...

Well, I have another question here... is it normal no find several Chas Hierophants in didderent locations like the ourse near the mint, or a cave in the frozen lands?

Thanks
Gradilla Dragon

Post by Gradilla Dragon »

Yea, that's normal. It's a bug in the original game. As a general rule, don't speak to any ghost.
- Gradilla Dragon
Gradilla Dragon

Well, ghosts with humanoid form, I mean. There are ghosts that look like a blanket, and they are safe to talk to, if they talk.
- Gradilla Dragon
Natreg

Post by Natreg »

the chaos hierophant bug is a bit strange... I know it´s in the english version, but I don´t remember it in the spanish version at all. I´m sure I tried to talk to the ghosts (just because I remember that I could talk with them in Skara Brae)
Daemongar

Post by Daemongar »

I was wondering how hard it would be to do a if Pomdragon dead then ("Thank you for rescuing me, I think I can find my way back to Monitor because I was peeking from behind my blindfold, etc" next Johnson runs off screen, control returns to Avatar, Johnson is now the tattoo artist in Monitor or something next time you return) else ("It's safer here!")

Not that I could do it, but that guy is probably one of the loosest ends in the game - just kind of drifts off after a little while or gets stuck somewhere, and no matter what you do he just doesn't go anywhere. Poor sod.
MV

Post by MV »

Yea, it was always bugged for me in the original version of the game as I'd speak to one of the chaos ghosts in that house (they go hostile too, I've killed a heap), and later in the game I can never summon the hierophant then. That always bugged me.

Anyway, as for that guy you rescue, I've had it happen a few times too that you reach the stairs, just keep walking back and forth while keeping him with the group (don't walk too fast), and he should eventually just die.
Neutronium Dragon

Post by Neutronium Dragon »

Yep, Johnson's doomed. I can't remember if he gives a farewell speech, though.

Neutronium Dragon
Tylius

Post by Tylius »

Eeh gad, Johnson's *supposed* to die!?
I always got frustated trying to walk him back, so I hackmoved him into my pack and ran there (though I don't remember if that worked properly, it's been a while)
yhevhe

Post by yhevhe »

I see it's a common problem... hehe

Oops, sorry for the last post, just had so many typos, I didn't realize that!

I think that at last I have found the place where the Chaos Hierophant died, but he just attacks me... (in an underground cave with a fire pit in the middle of some water, with a juggernaut hammer in front, or 'tis just another buggy place?).

And another thing... (I should change the post's name by now...) Have any of you found out that secret entrance to the great temple, where the walls of light is? I just felt bad, because I freed the banes and all (by the way, quite music the banes one), and then I found out that before that I had to enter to the hierophant's library, or watch through the moon's eye! Zounds!

Thank you all!
SB-X

Post by SB-X »

Don't change the topic name yet. I want to add to the number of people who wanted to take Johnson with them back to Monitor at least. I had no idea he was supposed to die because usually he would start attacking me before we even got to the cave. I reloaded so many times before figuring out he can't go with you anyway. How annoying.

I wish there were real walls of light.
Neutronium Dragon

Post by Neutronium Dragon »

That cave with the juggernaut hammer is a little treasure room - the juggernaut hammer is the prize.

The chaos hierophant's corpse is in a different location.

Yes, there is a secret, back entrance to the Spinebreaker temple. I've used it a few times rather than going in the main way.

Neutronium Dragon
Daemongar

Post by Daemongar »

Is there an egg that one can remove so he doesn't have a heart attack? Any way to save that guy - like everyone else, I tried a hundred ways to save him.

What would be the barebones one would have to do to have him follow me back to Monitor and resume a productive life?
Gradilla Dragon

Even if you delete the egg, Johnson will certainly be following you perpetually. That's the way it has to be. He will follow you until he dies. He will never have a productive life.
- Gradilla Dragon
Colourless
Site Admin

Post by Colourless »

Another problem. Johnson will the cached out and deleted if he gets too far away from you. He's not supposed to live.
Ken Oh

Post by Ken Oh »

That's funny because he isn't following my party around. I can still find him hanging out in/around that hut.
yhevhe

Post by yhevhe »

Well, that Johnson thing can be modified, right? I mean, with Exult Studio, could I/you change the plot so he just goes to Monitor, or he follows the party correctly, and then makes a living in the town? Anyway...

I really apologize for bothering you with my petty problems with the game, but now that I reached the Isle of Crypts, I can't go any further... I went through the south passage, followed the serpent mark in the floor, oppened the secret door, found the two plaques that read "To continue in balance stand here"... Even pushed a button in that small room, but nothing happened. I was tempted into reading a walkthrough, but it only sayed that it should transport me into another room...

Some light unto this would help...

Thanks.
drcode
Site Admin

Post by drcode »

If I recall, Johnson follows you because his schedule is set to 'hound', and he dies when you trigger an egg on the way back. You probably could teleport both yourself and Johnson past the egg, but it's possible that the egg also sets/resets one or more important game flags.
Ken Oh

Post by Ken Oh »

heh

Ultima 7: Part 3 - The Quest to Save Johnson

Seriously, I know he's a big loose end, but the rest of Monitor is toast soon enough after that point anyway.
MV

Post by MV »

And he'd have to be a party member anyway to use the stairs. ;)

Unless he gets a script saying he'll meet you back in monitor and is teleported there with a schedule.
Mel C.

Post by Mel C. »

I also used hackmove with Johnson, but just to get him past the stairs. I swear, all I used it was on the stairs and he followed me all the way back to Monitor. I left him at the pub.

He stayed there and the game seems to continue without incident (I am not finished yet) and doesn't seem to realize he's already back in Monitor, because when I talk to him I get his "Don't waste time, let's get back to Monitor before we get eaten" speech. Then he starts following me again and I have to lose him.

Guess I'll try taking him back to die...

I second the idea of sending him back to Monitor though if he survives. Why not tie up a loose plot end? Lots of things about SI annoy me, like the lack of good subplots, and the way the game forces you to stay in one town for such long periods of time, and you don't get full mobility until you almost really don't need it.

But it would be funny to see Johnson as the last vendor in Monitor alive after the Banes. Maybe he and Harnna could shack up. ;)
Dominus
Site Admin

Post by Dominus »

Johnson is not a loose end. Just not a happy end. He is supposed to die, that's it.
--
Read the documentation and the FAQ! There is no excuse for not reading them! RTFM
Read the Rules!
We do not support Piracy/Abandonware/Warez!
SB-X

Post by SB-X »

I think they would have let you take him back to Monitor if they had time to add all that would have to be added.
But they did "tie up the loose end" already by adding an egg. The only thing I'd want to change about SI is restoring the original plot.
Ken Oh

Post by Ken Oh »

I didn't really mean loose end. I sort of meant abrupt or premature in a way that it seems like one.
Ken Oh

Post by Ken Oh »

I didn't really mean loose end. I sort of meant abrupt or premature in a way that makes people want more (ex. this thread).
yhevhe

Post by yhevhe »

SB-X, and what was the original plot?

I think one could say so about ultima 8 or 9.... but maybe 7 could even be better than it is!
SB-X

Post by SB-X »

The thing with the banes killing people didn't occur (well maybe in Moonshade it did to a point).

Again Serpent Isle plot.
http://exult.info/forum/viewtopic.php?p=16345#p16345

Serpent Isle cut plot SOURCE DOCUMENTS
http://exult.info/forum/viewtopic.php?p=14590#p14590

Hidden conversation in SI
http://exult.info/forum/viewtopic.php?p=17141#p17141

Hidden Conversation (SI) part 2
http://exult.info/forum/viewtopic.php?p=20460#p20460
Mel C.

Post by Mel C. »

These are great! I'd like to see these happen, too. I had no idea how much plot they just threw out.