Windows Phone 7 and XNA?

NOTICE: This forum is archived as read only.
Please use the Github Discussions at https://github.com/exult/exult/discussions
Forum rules
NOTICE: This forum is archived as read only.
Please use the Github Discussions at https://github.com/exult/exult/discussions
MagooChris

Windows Phone 7 and XNA?

Post by MagooChris »

I know there is a build for the PocketPC in the download section (I've downloaded that and started playing around) but I'm looking at updating to the Windows Phone 7 and was thinking that playing Ultima VII on the trains in and out of work is the perfect time killer... but as far as I see there hasn't been any talk of XNA here except once in a topic about the iPhone. Does anyone have any idea if the Windows Phone 7 requires the strict rules on managed code as the xbox does? The last time XNA was mentioned it was thought it might be possible to take Exult to XNA but wouldn't run on the Xbox and so there was no point in it.
Dominus
Site Admin

Re: Windows Phone 7 and XNA?

Post by Dominus »

As with the other ports, as long as none of us has such a device the chances are slim that we will ever even look too closely into it.
Betting on it I'd say the chances are higher that one day there is an Android and/or iOS ports...
--
Read the documentation and the FAQ! There is no excuse for not reading them! RTFM
Read the Rules!
We do not support Piracy/Abandonware/Warez!
Colourless
Site Admin

Post by Colourless »

It really depends on if C++/CLI is usable with XNA on Windows Phone 7 and what libraries are available. Exult would probably compile to as C++/CLI pure managed code, but chances are that it wouldn't run due to the C/C++ run time libraries being missing on Windows Phone 7.

I agree with Dominus' statement "Betting on it I'd say the chances are higher that one day there is an Android and/or iOS ports..."
devon2

Post by devon2 »

I'm pretty sure the win7 phone runs the compact .net framework same as the 360 so it has to be all managed code, with no external native libraries. You can compile C++/CLI to 360 with the commandline compiler, but it requires /clr:safe compile flag which means it has to be completely managed c++, ie no pointers, weird managed reference and class syntax which makes it just as useful as rewriting the whole thing in C#.