Mac Install

NOTICE: This forum is archived as read only.
Please use the Github Discussions at https://github.com/exult/exult/discussions
Forum rules
NOTICE: This forum is archived as read only.
Please use the Github Discussions at https://github.com/exult/exult/discussions
Olthadir

Mac Install

Post by Olthadir »

So...

After not running Exult for a long while, and popping in every now and again, salivating with joy over the talk of everything that has been added, I must say I am very pleased.

So, going over the thread(s) about actually installing Exult on a Mac I slowly became confused as many different attempts to fix it, and bug reports filled the thread.

My question is: Is there a 'simple' set of instructions for the installation of the newest version of Exult?
monotremata

Re: Mac Install

Post by monotremata »

Search the last bunch of replies in this post..

http://exult.info/forum/viewtopic.php?p=335830#p335830

Somewhere in there is when the configuration was changed and the instructions were posted by Dominus (and often messed up by me!)

I was going to give you it in a nutshell but just looked at my Mac and seems I have duplicate folders in both spots so I have to go back through that thread myself and clean up my own install haha.
Morbius Dragon
-==(UDIC)==-
Since 1992!
Dominus
Site Admin

Post by Dominus »

Sorry for confusing you :)
You can just go ahead and install the Mac snapshot and follw the instructions for OS X in the documentation.

The bugs in the latest threads are just concerning setting up a working environment for easy compiling, the snapshot itself is working fine.
--
Read the documentation and the FAQ! There is no excuse for not reading them! RTFM
Read the Rules!
We do not support Piracy/Abandonware/Warez!
monotremata

Post by monotremata »

Oh duh I forgot you updated the actual docs for it haha..
I need to go look through them myself now and clean up my own install!!
Morbius Dragon
-==(UDIC)==-
Since 1992!
Olthadir

Post by Olthadir »

Sorry for the late response. Thank you for the help!

I am on the road, moving cross-country. I'll install the wonderful new things you guys have done in the next few weeks when I have more time and a stable internet connection!
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

How do you install exult for osx? (10.6)
I'm currently trying to run the svn snapshot.

I have copied blackgate into:
/Library/Application Support/Exult/blackgate

Is this all I have to do? I have tried a number of settings for the exult configuration in ~/Library/Preferences including setting the data path, game, path, static_path, gamedat_path, etc, etc, etc. none of this works.

Can someone show me a copy of a correctly configured exult.cfg file for OSX?

The windows version of exult works with my data files just fine.

Also, quitting exult doesn't seem to work, I always need to force quit via activity monitor.

Thanks in advance.
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

Forgot to mention the error message I get is:
"Could not find the static data for either "The Black Gate"..etc..
Dominus
Site Admin

Post by Dominus »

nuke your exult.cfg.
Exult will make a new one on next start and if the files are in the correct location it will just pick it up on its own.
Also make sure that you copied the files to /Library/Application Support/Exult
and not ~/Library/Application Support/Exult
The difference being that ~/... is in your users folder and Exult will not pick it up there.
--
Read the documentation and the FAQ! There is no excuse for not reading them! RTFM
Read the Rules!
tanktopoulos

Post by tanktopoulos »

hello everyone i am new to this and dumb. a few years ago i was somehow able to download serpent isle and exult together, and it was just a matter of clicking the exult sign and i could very easily play the game. after trying to download si and exult again (i have since bought a new computer) and not very successful at that, it is impossible for me to play the game. i am very computer illiterate and i have no idea how to alter configuration files. its like mumbo-jumbo to me. can someone please help me! i am looking for just a simple step of how to download the package (si with exult) like i once somehow did years ago. thanks!!
Dominus
Site Admin

Post by Dominus »

Unless you paid for it at gog.com there is no legal download of the Ultima 7 games. We do not support illegal downloads. Good luck.
--
Read the Rules!