Are the EStudio stats on equipment accurate?

NOTICE: This forum is archived as read only.
Please use the Github Discussions at https://github.com/exult/exult/discussions
Forum rules
NOTICE: This forum is archived as read only.
Please use the Github Discussions at https://github.com/exult/exult/discussions
Oblivious

Post by Oblivious »

That is, for instance:

--The stats for leather and magic boots in BG are identical
--All footwear in SI gives identical defense (1) (only warmth varies)
--The attack power for a Great Dagger is only 5 (whereas the books in BG claim it is as powerful as a 2h sword)
--Chain and Scalemail both give identical defense of 2
--Kidney Belts don't offer any defense in BG

Are these all correct?
Warder

Re: Are the EStudio stats on equipment accurate?

Post by Warder »

I'm pretty sure all those are correct, but I am not sure about the kidney belt, to be honest.
marzo
Site Admin

Post by marzo »

Yes; Exult/ES take the values from the same data files as the originals, so the values are correct.
------
Marzo Sette Torres Junior
aka Geometrodynamic Dragon
[url=http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html]How To Ask Questions The Smart Way[/url]
alagner

Post by alagner »

>>
--The stats for leather and magic boots in BG are identical

Hey, you spoiled all the fun ;) It was really great to look for magic stuff thinking it would provide better protection. And now...? ;) You've just ruined the placebo effect ;)
A.M.Miera
vel. Alagner Dragon
Oblivious

Post by Oblivious »

Well, the other magic armor pieces are all superior. Basically, Swamp Boots are the best footwear in BG.

The best single-handed weapon (other than the glass sword obviously) is the lightning whip (which inflicts 'nilla magic damage rather than lightning damage, and has an attack power of 10, plus slightly better range than the swords)

According to Estudio, all footwear in SI gives a protection of 1, so there's nothing special about the magic boots in SI, either.
TDI

Post by TDI »

You could set the defense for swamp boots to zero and add swamp protection to the magic boots.
And the universe would be okay again.
Oblivious

Post by Oblivious »

The only advantage there might be to the magic boots is that they look pretty, especially with a full magic set.
Guru Dragon

Post by Guru Dragon »

If I recall, don't all pieces of magic armor have a weight of only 1 stone? Though, I forget how much swamp boots and leather boots weight, but if it's more than one stone, at least that's something.
Oblivious

Post by Oblivious »

No. The leather leggings have a weight of... .5 stones, and the armor 1.5 stones.

The leather boots and magic boots weigh the same. (.5 stones)
Salicias

Post by Salicias »

Right, the magic part of magic armour is that it is supposed to weigh almost nothing compared to otherwise equivalent armours.
Oblivious

Post by Oblivious »

Hold on let me check the old-fashioned way, because Estudio claims they both weigh the same.

Nope, Magic boots and Leather Boots both weigh .5 stones. So there are absolutely no special properties for magic boots.
marzo
Site Admin

Post by marzo »

Hold on let me check the old-fashioned way, because Estudio claims they both weigh the same.
Like I said, the data shown by ES comes from the same data files as the originals. Thus, except for stuff that was hard-coded in the originals (virtually all of which Exult/ES handle correctly), the values reported by ES will always be equal to those from the original games, and looking the "old-fashined" way is a waste of time. And an insult -- people have worked hard to discover the meaning of those data files, you know.
------
[url=http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html]How To Ask Questions The Smart Way[/url]
Crysta the Elf

Post by Crysta the Elf »

I can't check right now, but I remember the magic boots working the same as swamp boots in SI, so that would at least be something. Or was that in BG? Hm.. could also always be wrong..
marzo
Site Admin

Post by marzo »

Looking at it, Exult has magic boots also protect from swamp poison in SI. But it would be good if we were to check it in SI, as my memory seems to indicate the original didn't work that way. (and I can't check right now)
------
Malignant Manor
Site Admin

Post by Malignant Manor »

Magic boots do not protect against swamps in the original SI engine.
marzo
Site Admin

Post by marzo »

Thanks. That will be fixed in the next snapshot (which is when I finish everything I am working on, that is).
------
Malignant Manor
Site Admin

Post by Malignant Manor »

I remember thinking it weird a long time ago, but it slipped my mind when working on the patch.
Earthquake Damage

Post by Earthquake Damage »

I wouldn't mind seeing magic boots doubling as swamp boots in the next Keyring and SI Fixes releases. They're just as rare, if not more so, and don't provide more protection anyway. Sure, it breaks from tradition, but magic boots is purtier than swamp boots. :P