Keyring mod, II

NOTICE: This forum is archived as read only.
Please use the Github Discussions at https://github.com/exult/exult/discussions
Forum rules
NOTICE: This forum is archived as read only.
Please use the Github Discussions at https://github.com/exult/exult/discussions
wjp
Site Admin

Keyring mod, II

Post by wjp »

Started a new thread because of the length of the previous one:

http://exult.info/forum/viewtopic.php?p=27360#p27360
marzo
Site Admin

Re: Keyring mod, II

Post by marzo »

I added ones for Jaana, and Katrina, in my mod
I am stealing them into the keyring mod if you don't mind :-)
------
Marzo Sette Torres Junior
aka Geometrodynamic Dragon
[url=http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html]How To Ask Questions The Smart Way[/url]
Wizardry Dragon

Post by Wizardry Dragon »

Tehehe. Its not in the current snapshot, but it will be in the next one (I added it last night after the last snapshot).

Is it just me or have the two active mods here been borrowing liberally from each other? ^_~

~ Wizardry Dragon
Cheers, Wizardry Dragon
Lead Designer, Ultima VII: The Feudal Lands
www.thefeudallands.ca
marzo
Site Admin

Post by marzo »

If both mods end better for it, then why not? :-)
------
[url=http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html]How To Ask Questions The Smart Way[/url]
Crysta the Elf

Post by Crysta the Elf »

i should probably say that any sprite i end up making i wouldnt mind being in either mod :P
Wizardry Dragon

I wasn't complaining Marzo, I jsut thought it was kinda funny ^_^

~ Wizardry Dragon
Cheers, Wizardry Dragon
www.thefeudallands.ca
Kyle

Post by Kyle »

I am really enjoying the keyring mod, thanks a lot. Just one thing, I haven't actually found the keyring yet. Can you tell me where to find it?
marzo
Site Admin

Post by marzo »

You get it when you complete Zauriel's quest. You can find Zauriel just outside LB's castle.
------
Kyle

Post by Kyle »

Ahh, I had forgotten to return the journal to get it. Thanks a lot. I did notice a problem and I was wondering if you were aware of it.

I tried to mark a 'virtue stone' on the shore south of the shrine of the codex and everytime I target a stone the game crashes. The spell works in other places such as the Isle of Fire and Britian.
Crowley

Post by Crowley »

Strange. I marked a stone around that area too to get easily back from the Shrine of Spirituality and had absolutely no problem.
Wizardry Dragon

The Stone has been changed so you cannot mark it within the Shrine of the Codex; after all, that would bypass the requirement that you have to be on a Sacred Quest.

Seems the code that prevents using a Stone in such a way is buggy.

~ Wizardry Dragon
Cheers, Wizardry Dragon
www.thefeudallands.ca
marzo
Site Admin

Post by marzo »

I have tested it extensivelly and found no bugs; I can mark and recall stones anywhere on the map without crashes. It seems that Crowley can too.
------
Wizardry Dragon

It doesnt mean a bug cant exist ^_~

To squash the easy problems:

Kyle:
- are you running TBG with the Forge of Virtue addon?
- do you have installed the latest version of Exult?
- have you correctly installed the keyring mod and have had other portions of it work properly?

If so, then try to find steps to reproduce the problem and exactly what happens, and post them here.

~ Wizardry Dragon
Cheers, Wizardry Dragon
www.thefeudallands.ca
Kyle

Post by Kyle »

I have black gate with forge of virtue. Exult version 1.4.01cvs. I'm pretty sure that the keyring mod is installed properly. I followed the instructions and all of the additions seem to be there.

When ever I try to mark a stone, near the shrine of the codex, the game automatically exits with no other warning or side effects.

Also, Exult seems a little unstable before I load up TBG. For example when I start Exult and choose TBG 2/3 of the time the game will crash before the Black Gate menu appears much in the same manner. Once the game loads however it seems stable enough.
Wizardry Dragon

On the first account: this sounds like a bug in the 'Mark' spell code.

(But I don't believe the modular spell system is included in the current release distribution of the Keyring mod?)

On the second account: Exult snapshots are rarely stable. This is Exult itself, not the Keyring mod that is causing this.

And for the record, Marzo, I checked it out and I have the same problem, intermiddently. Sometimes the spell fails out properly; other times it crashes Exult. Most odd.

~ Wizardry Dragon
Cheers, Wizardry Dragon
www.thefeudallands.ca
wjp
Site Admin

Post by wjp »

Can you detect any patterns to when it fails? I've tried a couple of dozen times in front of the shrine of the codex guardians without any crashes or failures.

If not, do you have a savegame from which you can reproduce it at least occasionally? (And if so, how often?)

Does it only happen after playing for some time, or also close after starting Exult?

For those who do see mark crashes: do you get any other crashes in the same area, unrelated to the mark spell? Can you think of anything special that you did before the crashing mark that could have had an effect?

Sorry for the question-overload, but I'm hoping more information will shed some light on this bug.
marzo
Site Admin

Post by marzo »

I tried it several times so far, and I never had the problem. Does stderr say anything useful? Also, out of curiosity: can you post the first 10 lines of stdout?

And the new 'mark' code was in the keyring mod since last June (when I first wrote the 'mark' code). It is the one of the most tested functions in the Keyring mod, which is why I don't think it is responsible for the problem he is having. And if you actually take a look at the code, you will see that the only bug in it is that it doesn't check the map the stone is in... and that it treats all cases the same way (by forwarding the call to the original usecode), which means that the crash would occur throughout the game map if it really were the new spell code.

And since he says the game crashes 2/3 of the time, the problem might well be something else entirely.

But there is one way to know for sure: move/rename/delete the 'usecode' file in your patch dir, start Exult and try casting 'mark' in a location that has been crashing the game. Does it still happen?
------
Wizardry Dragon

It does; I can therefor only assume it's something in the snapshot somewheres.

~ Wizardry Dragon
Cheers, Wizardry Dragon
www.thefeudallands.ca
marzo
Site Admin

Post by marzo »

It *might* (BIG emphasis on the might) be something related to the modified chunks in that area (as it works normally in other areas). I am unable to reproduce the problem, so I can't know for sure. You could try seeing if there are crashes in Serpent's Hold (both above-ground and in the basement), the Lycaeum and Empath Abbey (and near the shrines too) to test it.
------
Wizardry Dragon

I'll give a hack at testing that thoery a bit later, when Im not engrossed in TFL programming ^_^;

I dunno though, I don't *think* that'd be the problem. I'll try though.

~ Wizardry Dragon
Cheers, Wizardry Dragon
www.thefeudallands.ca
marzo
Site Admin

Post by marzo »

I don't *think* that'd be the problem
Which is why I put a BIG emphasis in the might ;-P
------
Paulo

Post by Paulo »

people, how do i find the time lord using the keyring mode? i tried to use the orb of the moons NW, but it takes me to the shrine of spirituality...i can´t find the time lord, so i can´t go on with the plot...someone please help me!
marzo
Site Admin

Post by marzo »

I have already dealt with Paulo's problem by private mail. For those who are having the same problem, I recommend reading the readme file or paying more attention to what the wisp actually says instead of what you remember it saying ;-)
------
Crowley

Post by Crowley »

I was thinking, wouldn't it make sense for the Shrine of Honor to be in a defiled state as well with the nearby harpies doing their misdeeds?
marzo
Site Admin

Post by marzo »

It should, indeed. I will add it to the next version.
------
Crowley

Post by Crowley »

By the way, I didn't manage to trigger the appearance of the liche, skeletons and the woman's corpse in the Shrine of Sacrifice until my fourth visit there. Seems like nothing appears if you keep to the north side of the shrine. Could you take a look at that?
marzo
Site Admin

Post by marzo »

The liche and skeletons are from the original, and they should appear only at night. Their presence there is one of the reasons I decided to make the shrine of Sacrifice start defiled.
------
Crowley

Post by Crowley »

Alright, I did some testing and they do indeed only appear at night, but it doesn't work very well. When you first walk up to the altar, there is nothing around. Only after you run around the shrine a bit the skeletons, corpse, liche and dagger suddenly appear out of thin air.
marzo
Site Admin

Post by marzo »

Yeah. I am still trying to figure out what is going wrong there. I am thinking about replacing the original's eggs by my own, so that I am at least sure it works correctly.
------
Johnnyboy

Post by Johnnyboy »

Hi guys! I´ve played Marzo´s Keyring mod and finished the new quest (saving Laurianna from the mad mage). But I´m still finding a way to add Laurianna to my team. Is there a way? And Jaana´s and Mariah´s spellbooks? Where it can be found? I´ve search a lot to find those anwsers! if someone knows, please, tell me! Thanks!
marzo
Site Admin

Post by marzo »

Laurianna can't join yet, and neither can Mariah. The spellbooks aren't working (or appear) in the version publicly available because the spellcasint system isn't finished yet.
------
Wizardry Dragon

Although my TFL snapshot has an early version of NPC spellcasting ^_~

The finished version will be much more in-depth, though.

~ Wizardry Dragon
Cheers, Wizardry Dragon
www.thefeudallands.ca
Azulmagia

Post by Azulmagia »

Quote:

Alright, I did some testing and they do indeed only appear at night, but it doesn't work very well. When you first walk up to the altar, there is nothing around. Only after you run around the shrine a bit the skeletons, corpse, liche and dagger suddenly appear out of thin air.

I think that also happened in the original. I also think that the liche suffers from the same problem as the dead gypsies in the sawmill; if you miss them and they happen to disappear, they'll never appear again... (i don't know if THAT still happens)
Paladin

Post by Paladin »

This is fantastic! You people never cease to amaze me! :D

Anyone, I just got one little thing to say. The link on the previous discussion doesn't work. Can someone post a working link so that I (as well as everyone else) can download this wonderful mod? :)
marzo
Site Admin

Post by marzo »

The link on the previous discussion doesn't work.
It is because the hourly bandwidth limit has been reached; if you wait a bit and try again, it will work.
------
Paladin

Post by Paladin »

I did that and it worked, thank you. :)
Hammerite

Post by Hammerite »

Hey im grateful for this mod and find the Zauriel quest to be done very well, however I have run into some difficulty, mainly with the keyring item 1100. I changed the K try_keys in the bgdefaultkeys with the replacement:

K useitem 1100 # Use keyring
Alt-K try_keys

only after starting the game. It does not seem to be reflecting the change though. Does it mean that the confiduration for quickkeys are decided before starting the game? And is reflected in the prior starting condition? If it is so, than I will not add all my keys to the keyring. Its not a big deal, but I will like to know.
marzo
Site Admin

Post by marzo »

No, the key configuration is loaded when you start Exult. Also, is it in the correct place? In exult.cfg file, look for '' then for '' (the latter must occur before ''). Select all text after '' but before '' and replace it by the path + filename of the bgdefaultkeys you edited. You can also read the documentation:
http://exult.info/docs.php#exult_keys
http://exult.info/docs.php#exult_config
------
Kadarack

Post by Kadarack »

I've had some trouble with this... namely I'm not really sure how to install and run it. The info differs between the thread and the readme and neither is very detailed or clear. Maybe someone could break it down for me?

keyring mod readme:
"to install the mod, simply unzip the contents
of the zip file into your Black Gate's 'mods' folder. By default (that
is, unless you changed it specifically in your 'Exult.cfg' file), this
would be the 'mods' subdirectory of the path you set for Black Gate in
your 'Exult.cfg' file."

Did that. Haven't noticed that anything is different when I run the game at this point though...

from readme:
"OPTIONAL: You can create a shortcut to start Exult directly in the
keyring mod. To do so, make sure that the command-line is similar to
the following example: \Exult --bg --mod keyring"

When I run the shortcut I created the screen goes black for a bit as if exult is starting, but then I'm back in Windows with no exult running.

I'm using
Exult: Windows snapshot from 10/25/07
Keyring mod: 0.11.09

Exult is installed to c:\exult and Bg is installed to c:\ultima7\BG

I'd appreciate any help.
Kadarack

Post by Kadarack »

Nevermind. I downloaded the latest version of the mod and got it to work.
Beorne

Post by Beorne »

I've downloaded Keyring-0.11.09.zip but I haven't understood where is the location of the mod dir as stated in the readme.txt. Is it in the exult dir or in the original Ultima VII dir??

thanks
Quentin

Post by Quentin »

you have to put the Keyring mod into the ultima7 dir. Make a folder called "mods" under \ultima7 and dump the contents of the mod into it. So, you'd most likely have c:\program files\exult\ultima7\mods. You'll see "mods" in orange in the Exult main menu.
marzo
Site Admin

Post by marzo »

Keyring-0.11.09.zip
There is a much newer version available through my website.
Is it in the exult dir or in the original Ultima VII dir??
The latter. Your folder structure should look like this:

Code: Select all

ultima7
 +- gamedat*
 +- mods*
     +- Keyring
 +- static
* denotes a folder which may not be present yet. Simply create the "mods" folder and unzip the Keyring zip file into it; everything should fall in the correct place.
------
Beorne

Post by Beorne »

Thanks!
Malignant Manor
Site Admin

Post by Malignant Manor »

Would you be interested in adding any of the following things I have written and the added frames and shapes to go with them into your mod/s? I'll send you the files if you want them.

Mining function added to pickaxe (just add code as weapon function, also added smaller nugget frames)
Allowing sealed boxes to be resealed (also additional sealed box shape for the green wax)
Rats face cage and Iron Maiden now open and close
Rudyom's Wand can be used as a weapon to explode blackrock (The original let you do this, Just add the weapon tab put usecode 0x303 make sure it is 0 damage, and set a high range.)
marzo
Site Admin

Post by marzo »

I might eventually add them, yes.
------
Carcerian

Post by Carcerian »

marzo
Site Admin

Post by marzo »

*Two* thread necromancers in the same week! Woot!
You can also download the mod at the "official" website at http://www.lfs.lfhost.com/seventowers/.
------
Petrell

Post by Petrell »

Also files at reconstruction are no longer kept up to date but you can download most ultima related files from Ultima: Aiera (http://www.ultimaaiera.com/).

I also mirror Marzo's mods http://koti.mbnet.fi/ton_hur/ -> links -> ultima

Post by Soule »

Do I have to start a new game?
Is there a way to integrate the mod in with my current characters?
I have gotten quite far into the game and I don't want to restart.... how do I continue my game with the mod?