How stable is the current 1.4?

NOTICE: This forum is archived as read only.
Please use the Github Discussions at https://github.com/exult/exult/discussions
Forum rules
NOTICE: This forum is archived as read only.
Please use the Github Discussions at https://github.com/exult/exult/discussions
Skullguise

How stable is the current 1.4?

Post by Skullguise »

As the title says.

I just discovered this site and have played EVERY Ultima except for the 7's. What a stroke of luck!

Now should I try 1.4 or stick with 1.2? Has anyone completed them both with 1.4?

Thanks for any info.
Annorax

Re: How stable is the current 1.4?

Post by Annorax »

It's been working fine for me, with no stability issues.
--------------
Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Become evil.
Anderewrey

Post by Anderewrey »

So... When the 1.4 will be ready to be call "Final", or "RC" at least ?
Dominus
Site Admin

Post by Dominus »

the answer almost any project will give you that doesn't have a fixed release date.
When it's done.
:)

Seriously we'd need someone to play through BG+FoV and SI+SS with 1.4 to at least know that recent code tidying didn't blow anything up. And even then there is no hurry for us, I think.
--
Read the documentation and the FAQ! There is no excuse for not reading them! RTFM
Read the Rules!
We do not support Piracy/Abandonware/Warez!
kaszeta

Post by kaszeta »

I'm most of the way through BG+FoV with 1.4 with no problems. I'm trying to be good and not take any plot shortcuts to make sure all is well.
drcode
Site Admin

Post by drcode »

Yes, I'd like to fix a few more bugs (seems like I've been saying that for about a year:-)), then play through BG+FoV.
Vasculio294

Post by Vasculio294 »

The mouse is the only thing that needs to be tweek mostly.

If they could get the mouse to at least run like the original game. i'd be in heaven.

True! I can always use the arrow keys to move the avatar and his party around.

Also i hope they finish adding all the F2 cheats in the game.

No rush! But would like it happen.
Dominus
Site Admin

Post by Dominus »

hmm, what is different with the mouse?
--
Read the documentation and the FAQ! There is no excuse for not reading them! RTFM
Read the Rules!
WWWWolf

Post by WWWWolf »

Exactly what cheats are missing in Exult that were in the original? Just curious - I haven't played the original that much =)

Anyway, for me, 1.4 has been pretty stable. Have had some issues with NPC schedules not really working that well, and the House of Games being busted, but that was months ago, no idea if those have been fixed since (or just being My Typical Luck(tm)). But hey, playing beta versions is a good excuse to use cheats =)
- Weyfour WWWWolf, a lupine technomancer from the cold north
[a.k.a.: Hoki-Aamrel the Cherry-Red Dragon -==(UDIC)==- ]
Garrett

Post by Garrett »

For starters there was a way to replace people's display names (peasant, jester, whatever) with their NPC number. As it is gigantic lists of NPC numbers (like Dan Simpson's) are now the quickest way to find out.

My only problem with 1.4 thus far is that when I use the "F" shortcut my party whines about the virtuousness of it, as if the food "cleansing" trick doesn't work any more. Or maybe that was because I was playing the Ultima 6 mod...
Dominus
Site Admin

Post by Dominus »

For starters there was a way to replace people's display names (peasant, jester, whatever) with their NPC number. As it is gigantic lists of NPC numbers (like Dan Simpson's) are now the quickest way to find out.
For that we have the shortcut ctrl+n. Implemented ages ago and mentioned in the documentation :)
--
Read the Rules!
Vasculio294

Post by Vasculio294 »

The mouse is some what loose, like when you were moving the avatar.

Lets say you want him to journey north, twelve o clock. And you decide to make the avatar go into a eleven o clock angle, while holding down the mouse button.
Sometimes the mouse makes the avatar go into a complete nine o clock turn. or
But the speed the mouse is perfect.

All i'm saying is needs tweeking, but its decent. I could live with using the arrow keys to move the avatar around though.
LinkDragon

Post by LinkDragon »

I had an interesting issue with 1.4 recently. I was in the middle of playing after starting a new game in BG+FoV. After leaving Britain by carriage I was on my way to the desert when I got ambushed in the swamp, so I hit C to enter combat mode, and the game just completely vanished. And like the idiot I am, I forgot to save since I had started the new game. But I'm not sure if that would really be considered a problem with Exult or just with my computer.
LinkDragon

Post by LinkDragon »

Argh. It just happened to me again. Luckily I've been saving this time.
It's rather annoying, though..
Gunnar

Post by Gunnar »

@linkdragon when something like that happens, you should check if it's reproducible (especially since you have a savegame from just before), and in any case save your stderr.txt, as it may contain info on why it happened.