Combat System Questions

NOTICE: This forum is archived as read only.
Please use the Github Discussions at https://github.com/exult/exult/discussions
Forum rules
NOTICE: This forum is archived as read only.
Please use the Github Discussions at https://github.com/exult/exult/discussions
Andar the Avatar

Combat System Questions

Post by Andar the Avatar »

Okay, I have recently installed both Exult and all four 'versions' of Ultima 7 (BG, FoV, SI and the one I can't remember)

I'm having a very enjoyable time playing Black Gate. I've been playing the series in reverse, first playing Ascencion, then Pagan, and now Ultima 7.

I've got a few questions involving the systems in the game. First, the paperdoll screen for the party members has several buttons. There's a dove/sword (which I figured out is combat/standard) a heart (which is player stats) and two I couldn't figure out. The 'halo' and the button that seems to change combat commands? I can't figure the use on either of these, perhaps someone could explain it?

Is there a way to directly open someone's backpack, without opening their paperdoll? That's just annoying. I do like how the toolbelt works in Ultima 9, I always had ALL my bags in there.

Is there a system the game uses to decide when someone's pack is 'full'? It seems like I can have two bags inside and its considered full, but I can stuff a Fellowship Staff, twelve peices of meat and Lady Tory's baby inside of another character's pack. (Neither is the Avatar)

Speaking of that baby, will it be a problem if I carry him around for a while? I found him before I found her, but SOMEHOW I knew whose baby he was.

I know its in the original, but you know, it doesn't make much sense that someone can't carry a bag on their belt and a shield at the same time (or wear a kidney belt, for that matter). Oh well.

I've got the Avatar, Iolo, Spark, and two more I can't remember their names yet (the trainer from Britain and the Ranger from Yew) The trainer from Britain appears to be able to carry a shield in his left hand, AND something on his belt/back. Now Spark especially, but the others too don't seem to have this ability. Is this like the ambidextery feat in dice-roller RPGs? They just CANT carry things left handed? Maybe I'm missing something.

Will it hurt anything to drop keys right next to the door they unlock?

Are there certain places where things will stay where you drop them? I dropped a whip and two bottles in the street in Britain and they vanished, but other things seem to stay put.

Well, thats enough stupid questions for now. Oh wait, one more. Is there only one choice for the Avatar's walking animation? He walks strangely compared to the others. Ok, THAT's it for now. I apologize for my dumbness, but I don't have the original games, only the Collection, with which they did not send the instruction books.

Thanks, Allan (Andar the Avatar)
Dominus
Site Admin

Re: Combat System Questions

Post by Dominus »

First, the paperdoll screen for the party members has several buttons. There's a dove/sword (which I figured out is combat/standard) a heart (which is player stats) and two I couldn't figure out. The 'halo' and the button that seems to change combat commands?
This should all be explained in the original's documentation. The collection has it in various forms on the CD, I think.
I know its in the original, but you know, it doesn't make much sense that someone can't carry a bag on their belt and a shield at the same time (or wear a kidney belt, for that matter). Oh well.
Yup, doesn't make sense, take it up with Origin :)
But also towards your next question, I suggest, turn off the SI-style paperdoll in BG to see the different slots. All party members have the same carrying abilities (only limited in how much they can carry, relativ to their strength).
Will it hurt anything to drop keys right next to the door they unlock?
Nope, it's mostly a good idea.
Well, thats enough stupid questions for now. Oh wait, one more. Is there only one choice for the Avatar's walking animation? He walks strangely compared to the others.
There is something about this in the FAQ, I think.
--
Read the documentation and the FAQ! There is no excuse for not reading them! RTFM
Read the Rules!
We do not support Piracy/Abandonware/Warez!
Andar the Avatar

Great! Thanks for the input. I don't *remember* seeing the docs on the CD, except a fakey text only version, but I might have missed something. I just DLed the replacementdocs.com version and made myself a new manual.

I figured out why Spark couldn't carry the shield. He was using a two-handed weapon, the sling. It's not exactly intuitive that it would be two-handed, but I guess he needs a free hand to 'load' it. But then why is Iolo capable of using a crossbow and a shield at the same time? Just checking to see if its a bug.

The manual mentions that 'some items are bulky, so either rearrange your items to other party members or purchase a new backpack.' Can a character actually carry two packs? As long as their strength is fine, it sounds like it should work, but take up another slot.

Thanks for your help. Although I have only just begun this game, I'm already tempted to attempt another U7 add-on (to make one, not play one). I really shouldn't, I've got two RPGs, an adventure game, and a robot in-progress already. :)

Laters,
Allan
Dominus
Site Admin

Post by Dominus »

The manual mentions that 'some items are bulky, so either rearrange your items to other party members or purchase a new backpack.'
unfortunately, this is misleading, though you can carry two backpack but then one of your arms is used for it :(
--
Read the documentation and the FAQ! There is no excuse for not reading them! RTFM
Read the Rules!
We do not support Piracy/Abandonware/Warez!
Andar the Avatar

Well, that's better than nothing. On that note,

Is it really useful at all to equip someone with two one-handed weapons and a back-weapon (such as two swords and a two-handed sword?) If not, then I have a couple of characters that I would gladly equip with that extra pack.

Thanks for your help,
Allan
drcode
Site Admin

Post by drcode »

I don't think it's useful. In exult, even if you have a weapon readied in each hand, I believe only the one in the 'weapon hand' will be used. Can anyone confirm that the original works that way too?

I seem to remember playing a game with turn-based combat (maybe an earlier Ultima), where you could strike with each hand when it was your turn.
SB-X

Post by SB-X »

Ultima 6 let's you use each weapon, so it's like you get two turns. Probably U5 too.
Gradilla Dragon

Post by Gradilla Dragon »

U5 allows the main gauche as second weapon, and the spiked shield counts not only as armor, but as a second weapon too. There are also spiked helmets which make for a third weapon.

As for the backpacks and bulky items... were crates and barrels able to carry more bulk than a backpack? Can they be equipped on the backpack slot? I can't test at the moment.
- Gradilla Dragon
Timo Takalo

Post by Timo Takalo »

I thought the only limitation in U5 was that you couldn't equip two weapons of the same type? A shame though. Imagine the damage you could do with two magic axes. The combat gets a bit ridiculous if you've equipped a spiked shield, collar and helm. Four attacks per turn, three of which are virtually useless.
drcode
Site Admin

Post by drcode »

Thanks. I think U5 is what I was thinking of. Seems a little funny, though, to use a spiked helmet as a weapon.
Warder

Post by Warder »

The spiked collar was not usable as a weapon. ;)
Andar the Avatar

Okay, the only reason I got off on this tangent is because I'm getting to the point that the carrying limits (both in volume and in weight) are getting close to their limits.

Please don't spoiler it, but there must be a way to increase strength in my characters. They're all in the 30s or below right now (as far as carrying weight go).

I just get tired of casting "help" to get out of a particular cave, because the dragons get too tough and I need to unload my stuff.

And what's with the parts of the caves that just cause damage for no apparent reason? Are they just rocky parts?

Allan
Tristan de Inés

Post by Tristan de Inés »

>As for the backpacks and bulky items... were crates and barrels able to carry more bulk than a backpack? Can they be equipped on the backpack slot?

Black Gate let you equip crates and barrels on the backpack slot. They fit quite a bit more stuff than a backpack, so doing this was rather useful (but only for the Avatar) after Fire Island.

Serpent Isle didn't allow this anymore.
Andy

Post by Andy »

Please don't spoiler it, but there must be a way to increase strength in my characters. They're all in the 30s or below right now (as far as carrying weight go).
Have you trained yourself, or anyone in your party? In most towns there are trainers that will boost atributes like strength, dexterity, etc... Each trainer is different though. Also, everytime you train it uses some of your experience points (of course that's what they're for).
drcode
Site Admin

Post by drcode »

The damage in dungeons is probably from caltrops. They're translucent and hard to see, but you can move them out of the way.
SB-X

Post by SB-X »

Have you investigated the cause of the earthquakes? Finishing this quest will improve the Avatar's stats, at least.