Sound Problem

NOTICE: This forum is archived as read only.
Please use the Github Discussions at https://github.com/exult/exult/discussions
Forum rules
NOTICE: This forum is archived as read only.
Please use the Github Discussions at https://github.com/exult/exult/discussions
shazza

Sound Problem

Post by shazza »

Hi everyone.

I recently purchased a new computer, and it is excellent. I installed Exult on it, however much, if not all of the music on BG/SI sounds off key and weird; quite different to the music on my old computer.

AMD64 3000+
1024MB RAM
160GB HDD
Windows XP

My new speakers are 1600watts and came with a subwoofer. I wish I could give you an example of how it sounds like, is there a way?

Cheers.
yhevhe

Re: Sound Problem

Post by yhevhe »

What about the sound card? :P
Dominus
Site Admin

Post by Dominus »

I should make that a FAQ. Remind me when I'm home again.
The reason it sounds different is that you are most likely listening to the midi music. The midi music you are hearing now is for sure generated differently than when you were playing the original. That is the problem of midi music :)
What you can do is either download the music pack or choose fmopl as your music in Exult (see the docs for this) or use the same soundcard and soundfont as when you played the game in dos.
--
Read the documentation and the FAQ! There is no excuse for not reading them! RTFM
Read the Rules!
We do not support Piracy/Abandonware/Warez!
shazza

Post by shazza »

I wasn't playing the original games on my old computer. I was using Exult as well, and have been for quite awhile. Sorry if that confused you.
shazza

Post by shazza »

Wow, I wasn't aware my old account still worked; anyway FMOPL sounds a bit better; but still some things sound off key. Indeed weird.
Dominus
Site Admin

Post by Dominus »

what is your sound card? Especially with Creative and their Audigy software it may happen that you are applying EAX effects that make your music sound weird.
--
Read the documentation and the FAQ! There is no excuse for not reading them! RTFM
Read the Rules!
We do not support Piracy/Abandonware/Warez!
shazza

Post by shazza »

Well, after downloading the OGG files; it sounds much like the original U7 and the Exult on my old computer.

My Sound Card is "SoundMAX Digital Audio".