Now what do I do with it?

NOTICE: This forum is archived as read only.
Please use the Github Discussions at https://github.com/exult/exult/discussions
Forum rules
NOTICE: This forum is archived as read only.
Please use the Github Discussions at https://github.com/exult/exult/discussions
Ugotta Bekiddingme

Now what do I do with it?

Post by Ugotta Bekiddingme »

What my topic for discussion is today has to do with why did I download something called "Exult", which apparently is the game engine for Ultima VII, and it tells me I need data files? (Please allow me to vent further).
Reading and sifting for hours is not my idea of a good time. Why does it seem that whenever I get on the trail of something interesting, I am derailed every time by either a geek language or actual foreign lang, or a host of a thousand other reasons? I have tried to locate the necessary data files to run with this "Exult", but now have read on here that there still may be a copyright issue for this game????? and in the "read b4 u post" area, it specifically tells you to not ask for game files???? So why did someone create this exult if there is no way for us to obtain the data files to play the actual game The Black Gate?

I am going to buy a timer, and whenever I become engaged in another project like this again, I will set the timer to go off after 1 hour, after which I will stop "trying" to figure something out that will probably just lead me to another dead end.
Ugotta Bekiddingme

Re: Now what do I do with it?

Post by Ugotta Bekiddingme »

Guess I have to go out and find an old DOS copy of this? Then why do I need exult? OMG, why cant everything just work together with newer versions of stuff???
Donfrow

Post by Donfrow »

Exult is just a way to run Ultima7 on newer platforms than what it was originally designed for. It contains none of the needed game files to run as that would be piracy. Exult is NOT Ultima7, merely a vessel for which to play it.

Even if you find a dos copy of U7 it will still need something like Exult or DosBox to run the actual game. Even DosBox is just a vessel in which to run Ultima7 (and other older games).

Nowadays you can't really just install U7 and have it work (not to mention that even when you could back when it was released there were a bunch of memory problems that I hated dealing with to get it working), you pretty much need something like Exult (or similar as Exult is not the only option available).
marzo
Site Admin

Post by marzo »

What Donfrow said. And just something more:
As computers evolve, we risk losing classic games from the not-so-distant past. One of these, Ultima 7, an RPG from the early 1990's, still has a huge following, and many consider it to be one of the most immersive games ever produced. Exult is a project to recreate Ultima 7 for modern operating systems, using the game's original plot, data, and graphics files.
This should cover most of your issues (and you get a cookie if you know where this is from).

But I got to say: with the handle you have chosen, and the tone of your post, I have strong suspicions that you might be a troll. But just to be on the safe side, I am locking down this thread.
------
Marzo Sette Torres Junior
aka Geometrodynamic Dragon
[url=http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html]How To Ask Questions The Smart Way[/url]