Various other misc. questions on U7

NOTICE: This forum is archived as read only.
Please use the Github Discussions at https://github.com/exult/exult/discussions
Forum rules
NOTICE: This forum is archived as read only.
Please use the Github Discussions at https://github.com/exult/exult/discussions
ultima7fan

Various other misc. questions on U7

Post by ultima7fan »

I couldn't really classify these into any category other than 'miscellaneous', so I thought I'd put them in one post before the admins ban me for asking too many questions :)

Before Exult, I used to have this really wierd bug on my U7 game which prevented me from getting much farther than Britain after leaving Trinsic. Basically, the walls of the game started disappearing...so much so you could walk around Lord British's castle without pressing the levers or walk into the bank and steal the gold. It completely spoiled the game. Did this happen to anyone else?

Is it possible to have more than one spellcaster in your group? Even if you don't cheat, I've found another spellbook and I don't know if its possible to get another member (say Jaana) to become a second spellcaster.

How do you get Tseramed to make you more sleep arrows? I've only managed to get him to make me one set (a dozen) just before he joined my party, then he doesn't make them any more.

Where is the cheapest place to get arrows/bolts? I seem to think Trinsic is the best place: 10gp for 12 arrows and 15gp for 12 bolts.

Is the 'cheapest' healing tool (other than Lord British) to buy cloth from Vesper's supply shop for 3gp and to cut it into bandages?

Some of the water pools in the game have healing/poison/protective waters. You get the first 2 outside the mayor's house in Trinsic and the 3rd next to the unicorn. Anyone know of any other pools?

Is it possible to fill empty bottles with the contents of these pools? I've tried and I can't seem to get the action + from the arrow button by double-clicking on the vials. If so, where can you buy empty bottles?

Has anyone noticed that the 7th circle 'Create Gold' spell only creates 1 gold nugget from a chunk of lead, instead of 10, as cited in the manual?

Unopenable chests in U7: So far I've encountered 2 chests which seem to be impossible to open. One of them is the one in the room just south of the magic weapons room in Serpent's Hold. I forgot where the other one was. Anyone know if some chests just aren't meant to be opened?

Is there a limit to the number of charges wands and magic rings have?

Would you agree with me that the crossbow is better than the bow in terms of damage output/gold piece? The triple crossbow does 28 damage and fires 1 bolt (although the animation shows 3), the magic bow does 12 damage.

In the U7 walkthrough, some other places where magical weapons are supposed to be are listed (pg 3 of Dan Simpson's guide). But in some cases when I fly over the place with the carpet there is just open ocean. ??? I mean for when it is under a mountain I know it could be because of a dungeon, but under the sea?

Is there an XP cap which depends on how far you've gone along the game? I've spent ages killing dragons in Dungeon Destard for the gold but my XP doesn't increase...

What determines mana regeneration? The manual says the less active you are, the more your mana regenerates. But I've tried sleeping for 12 hours and it doesn't regenerate, but when I kill monsters and then sleep it does.

If you keep on attacking the wall in a dungeon with a pickaxe, will you get an iron/lead/gold nugget eventually?

In U7 before Exult, it was possible to steal food/supplies from under people's noses, literally. Now they complain, and then call the guards. I found it amusing that it could be done, and found that to be a reliable source of food (hehe). How do you do it with Exult running?

Sorry for all the questions, and thank you for your patience. You're looking at someone who has waited for several years to play U7, because of the disappearing wall bug. I finally got to play it with Exult (bug seems to not have appeared so far...)
Gradilla Dragon

Re: Various other misc. questions on U7

Post by Gradilla Dragon »

Ok, answering your questions:

Disappearing walls? That means you didn't have enough free RAM to play the game, period.

Another spellcaster? I don't know for sure, but in Black Gate you can train your companions in magic with anyone that offers such training, which enhances their intelligence, Magic and gives them Mana. I have not tried to put spellbooks in the companions and casting spells, though. Try yourself.

More Tseramed Arrows? I have wondered that myself.

Cheapest arrows? Find out yourself :P

Cheapest way to heal? Find out yourself :P

Healing pools? Not me.

Bottles for filling? Use buckets!

Create Gold spell? Yes, there was already a thread discussing that.

To every chest there is a key. Find it. If you can't, there are some chests that can be destroyed with your weapon.

What do you mean "limit in the number of charges"? Well, maybe I should try answering your question. Rings, fire wands and lightning wands do have a number of charges. Once spent, the item disappears. Magician wands have unlimited use. You can find that info in-game, in some books.

Bows have the added bonus of the variety of arrows. The triple crossbow has the problem that you can hit your companions. The bow is safer, at least in the original. I think in Exult the triple crossbow no longer hits your companions randomly.

Magic items under the sea? Well, there are two possibilities: 1) The guide is wrong; move along. 2) Maybe you have to fish them, I don't know. Don't ask. Try!!

XP cap? No idea.

Mana regeneration? I don't know.

Attacking the wall with a pickaxe? No, that will never ever work. The pickaxe works by double clicking on it. I don't know if you get anything from hitting dungeon walls, though. Again, try yourself.

Stealing? Try yourself.
- Gradilla Dragon
Bomb Bloke

Post by Bomb Bloke »

NPCs use picks on stones which spawn. They turn those stones into rubble, and sometimes gems. I've tried the same thing in the original U7 with no effect, so I just follow mining NPCs and take the gems. Well, I don't, cause I don't need money that bad; but where there be miners, there be gems, and I take what I see...

There is a healing pool in the middle of LB's castle. There are many other pools everywhere else, too many to list.

Only you can equip the spellbook and use it as a weapon.
---------------------------------------------------------------------
You're just jealous 'cause the voices only talk to me. :P
Snizzle

Post by Snizzle »

Do the items in the water refer to the island of fire? it is only there if you have FoV