SDL update screwed up?

NOTICE: This forum is archived as read only.
Please use the Github Discussions at https://github.com/exult/exult/discussions
Forum rules
NOTICE: This forum is archived as read only.
Please use the Github Discussions at https://github.com/exult/exult/discussions
MeddlingMonk

SDL update screwed up?

Post by MeddlingMonk »

Not sure what to make of this. I'm starting to get this when I make. The strange thing is that I get it with older snapshots that I use to be able to build ok. The problem seemed to begin after I got an SDL update and I also can't run the already-built snapshot nor run other things like ScummVM. I think there's maybe something messed up with that SDL update (although some other things that use SDL are still working). But even if I'm right about that, I don't know if the errors I'm getting actually tie into that (because I get no errors when configuring).

/home/meddlingmonk/Desktop/exult/xdrag.cc:51: undefined reference to `XQueryTree'
/home/meddlingmonk/Desktop/exult/xdrag.cc:53: undefined reference to `XFree'
/home/meddlingmonk/Desktop/exult/xdrag.cc:59: undefined reference to `XGetWindowAttributes'
xdrag.o: In function `Xdnd':
/home/meddlingmonk/Desktop/exult/xdrag.cc:88: undefined reference to `XInternAtom'
/home/meddlingmonk/Desktop/exult/xdrag.cc:89: undefined reference to `XInternAtom'
/home/meddlingmonk/Desktop/exult/xdrag.cc:90: undefined reference to `XInternAtom'
/home/meddlingmonk/Desktop/exult/xdrag.cc:91: undefined reference to `XInternAtom'
/home/meddlingmonk/Desktop/exult/xdrag.cc:93: undefined reference to `XInternAtom'
xdrag.o:/home/meddlingmonk/Desktop/exult/xdrag.cc:94: more undefined references to `XInternAtom' follow
xdrag.o: In function `Xdnd::select_msg(XSelectionEvent&)':
/home/meddlingmonk/Desktop/exult/xdrag.cc:258: undefined reference to `XGetAtomName'
/home/meddlingmonk/Desktop/exult/xdrag.cc:275: undefined reference to `XGetWindowProperty'
/home/meddlingmonk/Desktop/exult/xdrag.cc:307: undefined reference to `XFree'
xdrag.o: In function `Xdnd::client_msg(XClientMessageEvent&)':
/home/meddlingmonk/Desktop/exult/xdrag.cc:132: undefined reference to `XGetAtomName'
/home/meddlingmonk/Desktop/exult/xdrag.cc:190: undefined reference to `XSendEvent'
/home/meddlingmonk/Desktop/exult/xdrag.cc:154: undefined reference to `XGetWindowProperty'
/home/meddlingmonk/Desktop/exult/xdrag.cc:200: undefined reference to `XConvertSelection'
xdrag.o: In function `Xdnd':
/home/meddlingmonk/Desktop/exult/xdrag.cc:108: undefined reference to `XChangeProperty'
/home/meddlingmonk/Desktop/exult/xdrag.cc:108: undefined reference to `XChangeProperty'
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make[2]: *** [exult] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/meddlingmonk/Desktop/exult'
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/meddlingmonk/Desktop/exult'
make: *** [all] Error 2
drcode
Site Admin

Re: SDL update screwed up?

Post by drcode »

Looks like the x-windows libraries aren't getting linked in. Must be a configuration problem. I'll try getting a more recent SDL and see what happens this weekend.
MeddlingMonk

Post by MeddlingMonk »

Although, since most of the programs I have that depend on SDL won't even run for me now, I think the latest SDL update for Fedora 5 (Fedora's reverse Star Trek curse made me downgrade from 6) is itself messed up. Or the process of updating went wrong somehow. But Fedora 7 final is coming out next week so I don't think I'm going to bother trying to troubleshoot my SDL issues. I'll just let the upgrade take care of it.
drcode
Site Admin

Post by drcode »

I still have an older version of SDL. Running sdl-config gives:

"sdl-config --libs":
-L/usr/lib -Wl,-rpath,/usr/lib -lSDL -lpthread

"sdl-conifg --static-libs":
-L/usr/lib -Wl,-rpath,/usr/lib -lSDL -lpthread -lm -ldl -L/usr/X11R6/lib -lX11 -lXext -lvga -laa
Colourless
Site Admin

Post by Colourless »

As Exult is directly using X11 itself when compiling in with ExultStudio support, shouldn't configure be adding the X11 compiler args itself, and not rely on the SDL compiler args to add in X11. Of course if X11 isn't found, ExultStudio support should be disabled, to hopefully stop these problems.
MeddlingMonk

Post by MeddlingMonk »

I found an easy way to revert to an older version of SDL. That fixed my problem.
drcode
Site Admin

Post by drcode »

Yes, Colourless is right. I'll look into this. I looove working on configuration:-)
drcode
Site Admin

Post by drcode »

I can't figure out what's going on. The Makefile generated on my system doesn't have any references to libX11 or -lX11; and when I 'make exult', the libtool line doesn't refer to it, but the command that libtool produces for linking does have '/usr/lib/libX11.so' in it. Looks like libtool sticks in the X-libraries when -lSDL is included. I'll look into this more tomorrow.
MeddlingMonk

Post by MeddlingMonk »

I still wonder whether it's really due the SDL problem I had. But it turned out not really to be because of an SDL update, at least maybe not directly. The SDL update for my distro was just SDL at first. The corresponding update for SDL-devel didn't appear for several more days. I'm no coder (as if that really needs to be pointed out) but the only time I was having trouble building/running Exult was when I had the 'mismatched' SDL and SDL-devel.
drcode
Site Admin

Post by drcode »

Okay, then I won't mess with it. The hard part about playing with autoconf/automake is that I can get it right for my Linux box running Gentoo, but have no way of testing it on everybody else's machine.