Monster Respawning

NOTICE: This forum is archived as read only.
Please use the Github Discussions at https://github.com/exult/exult/discussions
Forum rules
NOTICE: This forum is archived as read only.
Please use the Github Discussions at https://github.com/exult/exult/discussions
Josh Parker

Monster Respawning

Post by Josh Parker »

I couldn't find an answer on the board or in the docs, so I figured I'd post. I enter an area and kill monsters. I leave the area and walk maybe one or two screens-worth away. If I return, the monsters have already regenerated!!! I understand that regeneration should happen over a certain time period, but this is terrible. I have to slay and re-slay monters that I killed just seconds ago. I know this wasn't the way the original worked, so is this a known issue in Exult? It's really tough to explore caves when those darn Cyclops and the like keep respawning all the time. Thanks.
drcode
Site Admin

Re: Monster Respawning

Post by drcode »

Whenever I've checked, the original did the same. It's because eggs reset themselves when you move a screen or two away.
Josh Parker

Post by Josh Parker »

Hmmm, I didn't realize the monsters respawned at such a quick rate in the original. If that's the case then I stand corrected. Sorry.
SnowyThing

Post by SnowyThing »

Also, if you hit 'E' to turn on the eggs then Ctrl D, you can delete regeneration eggs you've already visited, to make it a bit more realistic.... in a sense.
Dominus
Site Admin

Post by Dominus »

Since when does Ultima have to be realistic :-)
Well, if I play the original game with u7dpmi it is quite painful to walk back even one screen so with that you won't ever see instant regeneration (because you won't play the game like this :-))
--
Read the documentation and the FAQ! There is no excuse for not reading them! RTFM
Read the Rules!
We do not support Piracy/Abandonware/Warez!
IgnitusDragon

Post by IgnitusDragon »

Well, why should Ultima have to be realistic? Because its annoying that- "I have to slay and re-slay monters that I killed just seconds ago."
drcode
Site Admin

Post by drcode »

Well, like I forgot to say: If you verify that there's a spot where the original doesn't respawn, but Exult does, let us know and we'll fix it.
SB-X

Post by SB-X »

There are especially bad spots like this on the Isle of the Avatar, in the tunnels. In some of these places you have to keep going back and forth to solve some puzzle, and every time you turn around the same enemy has respawned.
But this stuff also happened in the original version.
IgnitusDragon

Post by IgnitusDragon »

What really bugs me is the guards who pop up from the middle of no where(dagger isle or something) and start killing you.
Blah.
There should be triggered eggs, like if you steal in Britain, depend on the section your in, a monster egg creates a troupe of guards a screen from your left or right(so that they don't just suddenly pop up).
Then again you'd need to fix it so they don't pop up in houses or walls.
Then destroy the "global" guard egg so that you can steal in certain places where it doesn't make sense for guards to be.
Sorry I got confusing, hope this makes sense to some of you, maybe someone who hopes to develop an Ultima-ish game can remember this problem and avoid is somehow.
drcode
Site Admin

Post by drcode »

We're not doing the guards correctly. I think they should only show up when you're in a town, but haven't looked at it much yet.