Buildmap Parameter

NOTICE: This forum is archived as read only.
Please use the Github Discussions at https://github.com/exult/exult/discussions
Forum rules
NOTICE: This forum is archived as read only.
Please use the Github Discussions at https://github.com/exult/exult/discussions
buedi

Buildmap Parameter

Post by buedi »

Hi all,

I tried the buildmap Parameter in my Linux Version of Exult. But it says, that my Video Device does not support a resolution of 2048x2048. Is it really necessary to have a Graphics Card which supports such a high resolution??
I tried the same in Windows, but I fear that the buildmap parameter only works under Linux. Is this correct?

cu...

buedi!
suraimu

Re: Buildmap Parameter

Post by suraimu »

Try expanding your virtual desktop to that size.
wjp
Site Admin

Post by wjp »

Buildmap should work in windows, too.

I might try to 'fix' it sometime so that it doesn't actually create a 2048x2048 window. Could be tricky, though, since Exult kind of expects that it has a (properly sized) window to draw to :-)
Dominus
Site Admin

Post by Dominus »

well, if you have Exult running in a window and not fullscreen it will work. Either in Windows or Linux (I guess).
--
Read the documentation and the FAQ! There is no excuse for not reading them! RTFM
Read the Rules!
We do not support Piracy/Abandonware/Warez!
wjp
Site Admin

Post by wjp »

Dominus: ah, good point. Forgot about that :-)

Yes, you definitely need to run in a window.
buedi

Post by buedi »

YES! Starting it in a Window works! I tried it under Windows and it works great :-)
Now I have over 300MB PCX Files... maybe I will try to get them together in Photoshop to make one BIG Map :-)

Thank you very much!

cu...

buedi!
wjp
Site Admin

Post by wjp »

One other thing: it creates a map of the game you're currenlty playing, so make sure you start a new game before putting too much time & effort into manipulating the generated files.
buedi

Post by buedi »

Thanks for the Tip! I will start a new game and generate the files again. I wonder how big this PCX File gets when I "puzzle" all the Parts together... maybe I should try to print it out on my DIN A0 Plotter :->

I hope I find time on weekend...
Colourless
Site Admin

Post by Colourless »

VERY VERY VERY Big.

The entire world is approx 24000x24000 pixels. Yes that's 24 Thousand.

-Colourless Dragon
wjp
Site Admin

Post by wjp »

The version I keep around is scaled down to 3072x3072. This is still high-res enough to be able to clearly see individual dungeon passages and houses.
buedi

Post by buedi »

WOW... 27000x27000... urm... that will be a VERY big File :-)
I wonder how it looks on a DIN A0 Paper... hehe.
wjp
Site Admin

Post by wjp »

The 144 individual .png files total about 120Mb, so I guess that would be about the filesize of the total file too. (It would probably be a little smaller, though)
Darkstar

Post by Darkstar »

Well, I don't know how big a full PNG Image would be (never tried it due to memory constraints :-), but the Photoshop Images (27000x27000 pixels) are between 400 and 600 mb...

And even on a 2x2 meters poster, there would be over 10 pixels per millimeter... I already thought about it, but to get a perfect effect I think the printed image should be at least 5x5 meters.....

You could maybe put it on the floor of a large dining room or something and put transparent PVC over it... If someone does that I'd really like to see *that*

--Michael