Ultima Remakes

NOTICE: This forum is archived as read only.
Please use the Github Discussions at https://github.com/exult/exult/discussions
Forum rules
NOTICE: This forum is archived as read only.
Please use the Github Discussions at https://github.com/exult/exult/discussions
Tony V

Ultima Remakes

Post by Tony V »

It would be cool if someone could remake all the early Ultimas using the Ultima 7 engine. It would be easy once someone does one complete game then it would just be a matter of adding or removing buildings from a map but having the whole map built as a template.

I wish i had the time to draw stuff and program, it would be a lot of fun!
Mimu Bunnylin

Re: Ultima Remakes

Post by Mimu Bunnylin »

A fun suggestion, but it is all too easy to underestimate the sheer amount of labor such an undertaking would require.

Although, a clever hacker could write resource converters to create quick half-baked versions of all the old Ultimas - very simple map and script converters... and then, over several years and with crowd-sourced help, polish them into playability. Or until EA notices what's going on.
Dominus
Site Admin

Post by Dominus »

There is already a nice project for u6.
--
Read the documentation and the FAQ! There is no excuse for not reading them! RTFM
Read the Rules!
We do not support Piracy/Abandonware/Warez!
Colourless
Site Admin

Post by Colourless »

The problem with this is the effective world size of U7 is smaller than the games before it. 1 Tile in U6 is bigger than one tile in U7. It gets worse if you consider the other previous games. Those games had an overland map and then separate town maps. The effective world size in those games is significantly bigger than U6, let alone U7. Converting U6 into U7 while not a trivial exercise would be possible. Converting U5 and earlier into U7 would not work well at all. You'd need to be quite creative with how you'd do the conversions
Raptomex

Post by Raptomex »

It would be awesome. I love the visual style of U7. But I doubt this will happen.
Incriptus

Post by Incriptus »

When I day dream about doing the impossible, I like to imagine using the multiple map feature and 'detach' my cities from the rest of the world. I pretend that I'm talented enough to create the optical illusion of seamlessly entering and leaving the city but the insides just being that much larger.

It's fun to make believe
agentorangeguy

Post by agentorangeguy »

We are working on the U6 remake for Exult, here is our website: http://www.ultima6.realmofultima.com/ (if it is allowed to be posted. If not, just google us).

A big undertaking, yes, but we're getting pretty far along. The overworld is pretty much done, with just a few touchups here and there left, and a few areas such as Stonegate castle left to do. I've been working on doing the converstation code for the npcs lately, all towns are finished complete with working npc's except Paws and Moonglow. We should be updating the site soon with the latest update of what I've been working on.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ultima 6 Mod for Exult site: http://www.ultima6.realmofultima.com/
drcode
Site Admin

Post by drcode »

Pretty cool! Am I to understand that you're doing a complete remake of U6 using Exult and ExultStudio? That will be a first, I believe.
Dominus
Site Admin

Post by Dominus »

Agent, of course you are allowed to post the link. I wonder *why* I haven't added the project to our links page and the mods description in the FAQ. It's not as if I haven't known about this project for quite some time now ;)

How did the cry for books fare now? Anything besides my story?
--
Read the documentation and the FAQ! There is no excuse for not reading them! RTFM
Read the Rules!
monotremata

Post by monotremata »

Man the U6 remake looks awesome from the screenshots! Cant wait til this gets finished!
Morbius Dragon
-==(UDIC)==-
Since 1992!
agentorangeguy

Post by agentorangeguy »

Dr Code - yes, I'm using Exult and Exult Studio. The intro will be scripted in-gamerather than the original U6 intro, I thought I'd try something different :D I actually got quite far in the intro but that part of my map was corrupted, but the code is still there, I just need to restructure that map.

Dominus - I couldn't remember if links could be posted on the forums, and i was too lazy to look :D Yep we've gotten about 5 or 6 submissions so far with a few on the way I think.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
William

Post by William »

This project excites me in ways that I have not been excited for a very long time :p
Dominus
Site Admin

Post by Dominus »

link to this project is now on our links page :)
--
Read the Rules!
drcode
Site Admin

Post by drcode »

Looks really nice! How are you handling 'usecode'? I don't know anything about U6 internals.
agentorangeguy

Post by agentorangeguy »

Doing it from scratch. Most of the U6 stuff is similar, just different coding I guess. I use that U6edit program to view all the conversations and convert them to U7 format.
drcode
Site Admin

Post by drcode »

You're recoding all of U6 in U7 usecode? Cool, but what a lot of work that must be!
agentorangeguy

Post by agentorangeguy »

Yes its definitely a pain in the butt. I've got a decent template made for conversations so it goes by quicker, although some take more time and effort than others.
Skwerl

Post by Skwerl »

I just happened to come by to see if Exult happened to have any resent updates, and stumbled across this post. I'm pretty thrilled to see a U6 remake, and I'm going to be keeping my eye on it now, especially considering it' still in active development. So major props for the effort you are putting in, and I am excited to see where it goes.