Worlds of Ultima FREE on GOG.com

NOTICE: This forum is archived as read only.
Please use the Github Discussions at https://github.com/exult/exult/discussions
Forum rules
NOTICE: This forum is archived as read only.
Please use the Github Discussions at https://github.com/exult/exult/discussions
Wizardry Dragon

Re: Worlds of Ultima FREE on GOG.com

Post by Wizardry Dragon »

Best price ever :D

I knew GoG would get those two eventually, but I didnt expect free.

Cheers,
Peter M Dodge
aka Wizardry Dragon
Cheers, Wizardry Dragon
Lead Designer, Ultima VII: The Feudal Lands
www.thefeudallands.ca
Malignant Manor
Site Admin

Post by Malignant Manor »

For people on systems other than Windows (or Wine), GOG uses Inno Setup for the installers. You can use the two programs on this page to see if they extract the files.
MeddlingMonk

Post by MeddlingMonk »

As to that, the Mac DOSBox frontend, Boxer, will also take care of the GOG installers for DOS games.

Edit: Phorum codes to make urls or show images are found at Phorum Codes.
MeddlingMonk

Post by MeddlingMonk »

Oh, how I wish I could edit posts in this forum. Damn!
Malignant Manor
Site Admin

Boxer says in its blog that it can't though and release note more current than this post don't mention anything about it.
Note that Boxer cannot open GOG’s Windows-only installers yet: you’ll still need Windows to extract the game files themselves. I hope to nail this one in an upcoming release.
MeddlingMonk

Post by MeddlingMonk »

Double damn! I really should have checked my memory. But, after you do extract the game files, Boxer is still the best DOSBox front end for Macs.
monotremata

Post by monotremata »

Wow Boxer looks like its come quite along way since the last time I tried it out!
Ive been using DBGL for a long time now but might have to go try out Boxer now.

Thanks for the heads up BTW! I never got to play either of the Worlds games 'back in the day'. For some reason they just never appealed to me at the time, but now that Ive already beaten all the rest of the Ultimas, might as well give these a go now!
Morbius Dragon
-==(UDIC)==-
Since 1992!
Paddywhacker

Post by Paddywhacker »

um, ...

does this mean that they are abandonware?
Malignant Manor
Site Admin

um, ...

does this mean that they are abandonware?

No. Consider it a promotional giveaway from GOG. It's the only site that is allowed to host it and the only place to legally download the games. They get people to register and hopefully buy games from them. Many people who already are registered likely come back for another visit. Their downloads also contain a ton of advertising.
Dominus
Site Admin

Post by Dominus »

@paddy: you are confusing freeware with abandonware but it's not even freeware in the sense that everyone can offer it for download. Only GOG is licensed to do that and eventualy might change pricing (though highly unlikely).

Abandonware is a shitty term coined by people trying to legitimize their pirating of games. It's supposed to mean that either there is no copyright holder or that current copyright holder makes no use of the game anymore. It's not a valid legal term and as can be seen in this example things might change radically.
--
Read the documentation and the FAQ! There is no excuse for not reading them! RTFM
Read the Rules!
We do not support Piracy/Abandonware/Warez!
Paddywhacker

Post by Paddywhacker »

It wasn't a serious question. It was a serious attempt to yank somebody's chain.

As for Gog advertising .... not that I have seen. I've purchased from them and the downloads were pristine pure. Payment was by PayPal and there was no DRM. I much prefer Gog to Steam.
Malignant Manor
Site Admin

There's 5.59 MB of pictures advertising for GOG inside of the installer telling you to buy their games. That's more than double the size of both games combined if you don't include the bloated pdfs.
Dominus
Site Admin

Post by Dominus »

It wasn't a serious question. It was a serious attempt to yank somebody's chain.
nice...
--
Read the documentation and the FAQ! There is no excuse for not reading them! RTFM
Read the Rules!
We do not support Piracy/Abandonware/Warez!