Spoony Experiment reviews of the ultima series...

NOTICE: This forum is archived as read only.
Please use the Github Discussions at https://github.com/exult/exult/discussions
Forum rules
NOTICE: This forum is archived as read only.
Please use the Github Discussions at https://github.com/exult/exult/discussions
Skutarth (not logged in)

Re: Spoony Experiment reviews of the ultima series...

Post by Skutarth (not logged in) »

TDI: Underworld's voice acting certainly is at the level of mediocrity when compared to its contemporaries. That's the problem, though: all the voice acting was @!#$ back then. You might as well not have it if it's going to be terrible. His complaints for that are still valid.
TDI

Post by TDI »

I disagree. He might as well have complained about the pixelated graphics and billboard 2D characters, but if we didn't have shitty 3D then, we wouldn't have incredible 3D graphics today. If we didn't have shitty plots then, we wouldn't have Dragon Ages and Mass Effects today. If we didn't have shitty voice acting then... you get the idea. Whatever you start with will usually be low quality, but you've got to start somewhere.
Skutarth (not logged in)

Post by Skutarth (not logged in) »

TDI: While CGI may not have advanced as fast as it did without video games, it definitely would have continually improved over time. The reason 3D sucked early on was because it was used for the most part as a gimmick; Everybody was doing it, and thus started the 3D craze. People naturally got better at it.

Voice acting and plots would have evolved either way just due to the fact that game development budgets have increased exponentially. While the "pixelated graphics and billboard 2D characters" were mostly products of technological limitation, both voice acting and plots could have been much better sans budget limitations.

There really haven't been any actual innovations for either. Movies like The Godfather did perfectly fine for both quality of acting (including voices) and plot, and that movie came out 20 years beforehand! The quality of the acting itself is what sucks -- not the quality of the PCM used to reproduce it.

The reason the voice acting sucks is because they didn't have any money to hire real voice acting talent. In fact, I bet most of the voice acting for the cutscenes is done by the programming team and Richard Garriott. Not exactly cream of the crop, is it? It might actually have been less painful to read text instead of hearing it reduced to complete garbage by its final voice-acted presentation.
Scythifuge

Post by Scythifuge »

Baron Almric from UUWI is voiced by Richard Garriott.
Dominus
Site Admin

Post by Dominus »

--
Read the documentation and the FAQ! There is no excuse for not reading them! RTFM
Read the Rules!
We do not support Piracy/Abandonware/Warez!
TDI

Post by TDI »

I really should make the leap to Aiera for my Ultima-Fix one of these days...

@Skutarth, I know what you mean, but games had a development process, just as movies had. Just because we had Godfather movies before Ultima doesn't mean that games could have been able to mirror that kind of plot and voice acting quality at the time. The budget as you say is a very good reason for this. It took time for games to become big business as movies and until then you had to work with what you had.
Dominus
Site Admin

Post by Dominus »

yes, you really should take the leap to Aiera. Plenty of news all the time and mostly good and interesting discussions on stuff. The kind I wouldn't allow here but participate over there :)
--
Read the documentation and the FAQ! There is no excuse for not reading them! RTFM
Read the Rules!
El Guesto

Post by El Guesto »

Serpent Isle review is out
El Guesto

Post by El Guesto »

I have to say I agree about the combat, which of course goes for U7 as well. It's just random and meaningless, I wish U7 had better combat
Funster

Post by Funster »

I've been following Spoony's reviews for a long time. I've never been interested in Ultima since the only one I really knew was U6 on the SNES which was a hassle to play. After the BG and SI reviews, I had to pick em up. For the first time in my life I am finally playing these bad boys.
andar_b

Post by andar_b »

Good luck with them! They're good fun, even after all these years. I loved the Spoony review of Mazes and Monsters, it was hilarious.
Guesto

Post by Guesto »

I find SI easier to get into. The plot is more linear and "in your face" so it feels more engaging in that sense. At least for me who never played them when they came out
monotremata

Post by monotremata »

Man I have to go find this review of Mazes and Monsters now hehe.

I just barely got around to watching the U7 review just now..

At the beginning when hes talking about having to upgrade his computer just to play the new Origin games.. Is it just me or does the guy on the Crusader box look JUST LIKE one of the Clone Troopers that would show up yeeears later in Attack Of The Clones???
Morbius Dragon
-==(UDIC)==-
Since 1992!
Guesto

Post by Guesto »

Did he die or something?
Dominus
Site Admin

Post by Dominus »

Look at his site, the last thing he did was on the 24th, he just takes some time with the Ultimas
--
Read the Rules!
Exolon2

Post by Exolon2 »

Yeah, the Final Fantasy reviews took a long time too. It does take a long time just to play the games, let alone write a lengthy and (purposely) OTT critique. Looking forward to the SI one now!

I'd probably have to agree with the combat feeling a bit meaningless. Although it might feel like that in RL anyway. Recently tried the highest combat difficulty with Exult and it was waaaay tougher, so that's interesting - armour and careful training (and sneaky tactics like moving out of range and placing caltrops in front of NPCs, or even cheaper - putting them to sleep) become more important.

On that note, some of the U7 pages on the web suggest that armour merely reduces the probability of being hit, rather than reducing the damage taken directly. In Exult (actors.cc@2745) it does seem to reduce the damage, which seems more intuitive; I'm assuming those webpages are wrong (or I'm wrong and didn't understand the code, equally likely).
Kensu

Post by Kensu »

I'm curious about how the U8 review is going to be. The trouble is that, unlike U9, Pagan COULD have been a great game if it was finished. What's there is pretty damn good, it's too bad that there isn't more of it. (I mean, seriously, compare the NPCs and their conversation branches to the ones in SI. For christ's sake, you can get Marsten to tell you every last detail of his life when you first meet him in the catacombs before he even bothers to ask who you are.)

And because it's driving me mad: what IS that purple Planescape box behind Noah? The others look like they're just the regular campaign setting box, but I've never seen a purple one before, and I didn't think any of the other Planescape material was boxed...
Paulon

Post by Paulon »

Re Planescape: I think it's Planes of Conflict, the third large boxed set in the Planescape line after the original set.
Dominus
Site Admin

Post by Dominus »

The U8 review is up. Follow the link in the 1st post. Haven't watched it yet - but on Aiera WTFs verdict is that it's again pretty unfair ;)
--
Read the Rules!
Kensu

Post by Kensu »

I'd say it's pretty fair. He doesn't mention how revolutionary it was for the time, and how nothing like it had been seen before at that point. He also doesn't mention that the conversation system is better, and what NPCs there are are much deeper than the ones that Ultima 7.
However, he does take a lot of effort to get the point across that Pagan WAS UNFINISHED, so I'll forgive his rancor (especially because it made the review pretty funny. The 1812 Overture part was hilarious!)

I do wonder something though... In all those years when they were "working on Ultima 9" (which invovled through away complete engines and changing team members, to the point where at the end the only person still on the team from the old days was RG himself), why the hell didn't it ever occur to them to first go back and FINISH ULTIMA 8 instead?
Dominus
Site Admin

Post by Dominus »

Never go back and U8 was officially done and sold. No one would have given any budget to finish u8. And it wouldn't have sold...
--
Read the Rules!
Scythifuge

Post by Scythifuge »

According to an Origin associate that I spoke to on the phone back in the day, the plan was to create a CD-Rom Special Edition that would have added world interactivity, SVGA graphics, new quests, etc.

The backlash prevented this from happening, along with "The Lost Vale."
TDI

Post by TDI »

I'm inclined to agree with a lot of the review; the god damn jumping, the exploding chests and books, the insta drowning death... what he didn't mention is how back in the day the frustration of these deaths was amplified by the insanely long loading times.

Some of the things he mentioned didn't disturb me at all that mutch, like the predominance of grey architecture and grey dungeons filled with skeletons and zombies. Pagan is just a relatively small island, so how much variety can there be? I took them for a feature of the generally morbid setting.
I didn't have a grudge with the combat. It's not great and it feels as clumsy as the entire movement system does, but it did have it's exciting moments.

I don't agree about the complaints regarding the magic system and the plot. The magic system and plot are some of the best things about U8. Refreshingly unique and interesting, if not very well executed.

And I'm a little put off that he didn't mention the best thing in U8. The music and "the moods" it sometimes conveys at various moments in the plot are great. For such a mediocre, frustrating game experience, I have a lot of memorable moments playing U8.
El Guesto

Post by El Guesto »

Wow, that review took a while
Crowley

Post by Crowley »

He mentions romance subplot that was left dangling, apparently with Darion's daughter. I wouldn't call that a romance, since Darion was trying to marry off his daughter and she wasn't interested. And wasn't she seeing the farmer's son before he went to become a theurgist?

What bothers me much more is the potential romance between Devon and Mordea's servant being left dangling. If you speak to her, she is all smitten by Devon. You'd expect something to come from that once Devon is revealed to be the legitimate ruler of Tenebrae, and he moves into the palace so now they see each other every day. But nope, the servant's dialogue doesn't change!
Wizardry Dragon

Post by Wizardry Dragon »

I don't think he was angry enough for this to be a genuine Ultima 9 playthrough.

Cheers,
Peter M Dodge
aka Wizardry Dragon
Cheers, Wizardry Dragon
Lead Designer, Ultima VII: The Feudal Lands
www.thefeudallands.ca
Kensu

Post by Kensu »

Well, Wizardry Dragon, he hasn't really even gotten started yet. :D
Looks like this is going to be a good and long one, like the Final Fantasy X one.
(and btw, the disembodied voice at the beginning was actually Hawkwind and not the TimeLord, right?)
Paulon

Post by Paulon »

There's a note in the game saying that Hawkwind is the Time Lord.
Crowley

Post by Crowley »

Specifically, I think it was the note with the Time Stop spell in the Abyss which was signed "Hawkwind, The Time Lord".
Wizardry Dragon

Post by Wizardry Dragon »

Hah, Origin/EA laughs at your expectations of continuity!
Cheers, Wizardry Dragon
Lead Designer, Ultima VII: The Feudal Lands
www.thefeudallands.ca
monotremata

Post by monotremata »

So LB was a fan of weird 70s psych/prog rock I take it??
Morbius Dragon
-==(UDIC)==-
Since 1992!
Kensu

Post by Kensu »

Does anyone else remember the name of Lord British's cartographer who drew the Ultima III map, but died before he could fill in the names? Yep, Hawkwind!
VisElEchNon

Post by VisElEchNon »

Heh... heh heh.... lol... And I'll probably do that in 10 minutes when I'm done downloading the thing...
Kensu

Post by Kensu »

He doesn't do the source credits at the end of this one like he usually does. Does anyone know where that clip of the two gods fighting comes from? I'm thinking Xenoblade Chronicles, but I could be wrong...
agentorangeguy

Post by agentorangeguy »

On a Spoony related subject, apparently there has been some drama where he left (or was forced out) of Channel Awesome. http://ohinternet.com/The_Spoony_Experiment

See "The Great Meltdown", otherwise known as SpoonyGate!
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ultima 6 Mod for Exult site: http://www.ultima6.realmofultima.com/
Aka825

Post by Aka825 »

Spoony's Ultima IX finale is up. Personally, I find his ending to be genius. Pure, beautiful genius. Over the top? Yes, and wonderfully so. I mean, this IS the best ending to a review he's ever done.

http://spoonyexperiment.com/2012/08/11/ ... ale-uncut/
Paddywhacker

Post by Paddywhacker »

On Youtube, rather than blip.tv

[Mod edit]Removed links to pirated videos.[/Mod edit]
Malignant Manor
Site Admin

Post by Malignant Manor »

Thanks. Hopefully that account will be banned soon.
Paddywhacker

Post by Paddywhacker »

You are Spoony?

That makes sense. I couldn't access the bip site, you would have better been advised to use youtube.
Slobbedybob

Post by Slobbedybob »

What's a paladin?

I think it was an awesome and well done ending and all together retrospective and I agree with him so much
Dominus
Site Admin

Post by Dominus »

What's with all those necroposts. I understand that one maybe wants to take part in these discussions but 13 months later it's not going to work well...
--
Read the Rules!