Walkthrough to get U-VII to run?

NOTICE: This forum is archived as read only.
Please use the Github Discussions at https://github.com/exult/exult/discussions
Forum rules
NOTICE: This forum is archived as read only.
Please use the Github Discussions at https://github.com/exult/exult/discussions
Cherchez la Femme

Walkthrough to get U-VII to run?

Post by Cherchez la Femme »

Hi all.

Hey, I know next to nothing about codes or even shallow much less in-depth computer stuff (Unix? Linux? Wha'?) but I did love playing this game.

Ya know, I barely know how to unzip a file.

I tried downloading both the regular download (comes up as U7 in my Programs) and the Exult, can't get anywheres.
Exult keeps telling me in the Setup Wizard "No valid game installations found. Do you wish to continue?"
& of course I do and of course get nowhere.

So is there an Idiots Guide to setting this up?
I bought Diablo II a year ago, set me back $36 for an OLD game, couldn't get it to run so never got to play it. Got so disgusted I got deliberately careless with the disks, so even IF I learned some new tricks, don't know if I could play it now

But I adore this game 10X more than that!

Sooo... anyone care to help, by direction to links or help, a true know-nada?

It's too bad we can't join in together on a game.
Yea, I know there's UO, played it for well over a decade (even a couple beta accounts; at one point we had a dozen accounts going!) but my multi-house per shard accounts inadvertantly fell (husband wasn't as interested as I was in keeping all our accrued property, rares, etc. even though we were down to just 3 accounts)
All I know, whoever looted our fallen houses, Keeps, Large Towers, 18x18's got a TON of great stuff -- I even had million dollar checks in the houses, for char swaps, full sets Ethy's. full sets (& dyed) statues, 5 full collections every color of gift 'blessed' sandies, all kinds of specials, like every gauntlet weapon, about 7 sets of over 1K luck/max LMC/max LRC (Lower Reagent Cost - over 100%), fast cast suits;
over 400K ea: reagents, each ingots, each leathers, ore, wood, lots of pure white & black items & special blessed hooded & non-hooded shrouds/robes, BOD's in books (bigguns);
so much more I'm sure I've forgotten the best stuff

gah, makes me want to cry *boo hoo*
(There are so many sets of things because we played GL, Atlantic & Lake Austin, Legendary Chars of every stripe on each)

I've got 7X Wyrms, Dragons, Mares, Uni's & Cu's on those shards too, if anyone wants them let me know & I'll see if I can get in. A real shame for those pets to go to waste. I just don't have the heart to start all over again. Would cost me literally thousands RL cash to replace all that stuff and will NEVER get multiple houses on any single account again...

Sorry for all the whining. It's just very, very depressing.

Soooo, back to the reason for this post... any set-up walkthroughs for Dummies?

Thanks in advance!!!

Cher
Dominus
Site Admin

Re: Walkthrough to get U-VII to run?

Post by Dominus »

You need to own ultima 7. Then you need to install u7 (there is a guide for that in the documentation), then you start the exult installer and point it at the games (bg or si) when the installer asks for the games' location.

We do not offer Ultima 7.
--
Read the documentation and the FAQ! There is no excuse for not reading them! RTFM
Read the Rules!
We do not support Piracy/Abandonware/Warez!
VisElEchNon

Post by VisElEchNon »

The program you get here is kind of like a single game emulator. It doesn't have the files you need to run the game, it simply allows you to run the game on windows, or linux, or mac, or .
Cherchez la Femme

Post by Cherchez la Femme »

I do have Ultima VII, in the present form I'm using it's from a CD entitled "EA Top Ten Pak". It won't work for me.
When I try to start it under Exult/U7 (or /Ultima7) a black screen starts, minimizes itself immediately, then disappears.

Does this mean anything? (in a file entitled stderr)

"Warning, trailing slash in path: "\"
Warning, trailing slash in path: "\"
Warning, trailing slash in path: "\"
Warning, trailing slash in path: "\""

If it does, I haven't found any way to correct it.