1.2 -> 1.4 (Mac OS)

NOTICE: This forum is archived as read only.
Please use the Github Discussions at https://github.com/exult/exult/discussions
Forum rules
NOTICE: This forum is archived as read only.
Please use the Github Discussions at https://github.com/exult/exult/discussions
Anthony

1.2 -> 1.4 (Mac OS)

Post by Anthony »

Hey everyone!

I've been playing U7 Part 1 the past couple weeks using 1.2 when I noticed that 1.4 is active and supposed to be less buggy. I built a copy of 1.4 on my mac which is apparently 1.4.05svn.

It seems to want me to create new save games and I was kinda hoping not to have to start over. If need be, I guess I'll just play Black Gate with 1.2 and then serpent isle with 1.4 but if anyone has a quick fix I'm missing, let me know!

Happy New Year!

-Anthony
Dominus
Site Admin

Re: 1.2 -> 1.4 (Mac OS)

Post by Dominus »

You *should* be able to use your old savegames, you just have to point the .exult.cfg at the correct location for the savegames. Best done with the
setting in exult.cfg.

BUT when you use old savegames with SVN, some bugs that got fixed in the game might still linger in the savegames. So I'd advise against using the old saves but you can try anyway :)
--
Read the documentation and the FAQ! There is no excuse for not reading them! RTFM
Read the Rules!
We do not support Piracy/Abandonware/Warez!
Anthony

Post by Anthony »

So my ~/Library/Preferences/exult.cfg (from 1.2) already has a set to ~/.exult/blackgate which is where the save games appear to be.

One oddity tho:
When I launch Exult 1.4, in the upper left it says "blackgate" and in the upper right, "ULTIMA VII\nTHE FORGE OF VIRTUE" which makes me think something isn't configured properly. Selecting "Journey Onward" from either provides the "You must start a new game first" message.
Ezric

Post by Ezric »

I know nothing of Macs, but I know know a bit of something of how Ultima VII works. "Journey Onward" requires that the gamedat folder have a decompressed save in it. The easiest solution would be to start a new game in the new installation, then as soon as you are able to, load the savegame you're wanting to play. "Journey Onward" will behave as expected after that.
Dominus
Site Admin

Post by Dominus »

Thanks Ezric for pointing me to the right direction :)
Yes, if you don't specify your old gamedat dir (see http://exult.info/docs.php#dir_config) you need to start a new game but once you started it you can load your old savegames.
When I launch Exult 1.4, in the upper left it says "blackgate" and in the upper right, "ULTIMA VII\nTHE FORGE OF VIRTUE" which makes me think something isn't configured properly. Selecting "Journey Onward" from either provides the "You must start a new game first" message.
Hmm, you might have a slight mess in your cfg file. Could you copy/paste your the entries between the and tags? It's nothing to worry about through :)
--
Read the documentation and the FAQ! There is no excuse for not reading them! RTFM
Read the Rules!
We do not support Piracy/Abandonware/Warez!
Anthony

Post by Anthony »

Well, I ended up using 1.2 and finishing Black Gate. I'm using 1.4 with Serpent Isle but having an annoying issue (see my new post :))