Ultima Online Demo

NOTICE: This forum is archived as read only.
Please use the Github Discussions at https://github.com/exult/exult/discussions
Forum rules
NOTICE: This forum is archived as read only.
Please use the Github Discussions at https://github.com/exult/exult/discussions
Skutarth

Ultima Online Demo

Post by Skutarth »

Where can I find a demo of Ultima Online to see if I like it?
Eric

Re: Ultima Online Demo

Post by Eric »

Well... you see... there is and there isn't.

Ultima Online is a MMORPG classification of multiplayer game, with multiplayer being the keyword. You can only play the game online, and it costs money to play the game online.

If you purchase UO you receive one month free of online playing. So in a sense, there is your demo, if you really want to call it a demo because you still have to pay to buy the game.
Daniel

Post by Daniel »

Well you don't actually have to pay. There are many unoffical servers that people have put up around the place and these servers have lots a benefits despite being free. Also, UOX3 on sourforge.net is a project that lets you create UO servers for lans. VERY GOOD!
kila

Post by kila »

Nice. BUT the gfx are bad ( I need screenies is what I mean) lol.
XxVenomxX

Post by XxVenomxX »

You still have to pay for the game itself, is what Eric was getting at. As for the graphics, I have to disagree (of course, just my opinion). While they're not 'brand spankin new, 3d-ariffic!' graphics (UO3D blows chunks, so I dont even acknowledge it), I find that the isometric view and graphic style lends itself perfectly to a medieval setting. I tried DAOC, which was okay, played EQ at a friends house, didn't enjoy it, but I dunno, UO just seems (and I'm only speaking cosmetically here) a lot more solid to me. Granted it takes ages for new stuff to come out, but I like to see spoken text come from a character rather than a chat box. I don't play UO as much as I'd like (I'm part of an excellent role playing guild), but my time playing is *fun* and thats the point, even if I'm not playing an Ultima.

Check my new comic I've been making based on my guild and UO as a whole. It takes some good shots at it :)

http://venom.gamersgraveyard.com/DC
http://venom.gamersgraveyard.com
Fantasy art/Illustration by Brendan Setaro
Skutarth

Post by Skutarth »

No, actually there is a demo for it. It's a single player kind of thingy with this stupid wisp that follows you and won't shut up, like Zelda! Anyway, I just trap it...

Hehehe...

But where can I find it to download? You sent me garbage. :P
XxVenomxX

Post by XxVenomxX »

No, actually, there's no demo
Eric

Post by Eric »

He's right, there is no demo, you can't have a demo, you don't understand anything I said, the game is an MMORPG. War3, Asherons Call, and other MMORPG's don't have demos either.
Skutarth

Post by Skutarth »

I KNOW IT DID ONCE! It's completely single player.
Look here once. It's the only thing I can find on it:

http://www.mwc.ne.jp/kettya/uo/2nd/2ndage05.htm

But it's in Japanease...
Like I said, there is a wisp in the demo that won't leave me alone!
I remember playing the demo, so humph.

Please translate it if you can!
Eric

Post by Eric »

Goto here and translate from Japanese to English
http://world.altavista.com

This is some rip off of "UO: Lord BlackThorns Revenge". According to this it's some "UO: The Second Age" game. I'm not a big Ultima geek freak so maybe there is an EAGAMES game called this. So I dunno what this is, but I don't think it's UO.

Anybody agree or disagree with me?
SB-X

Post by SB-X »

"Ultima geek freak"? :)
XxVenomxX

Post by XxVenomxX »

The Second age was the 2nd installment of UO which added new lands and creatures, etc. For all those screen shots show, they could just be a mock up in a UO server emulator to give an idea of how the games played. Either way, there's no demo for it. Even if there was one a long time ago, the games changed so much that playing single player for a little bit wouldn't do much good, hehe.
Once in a long while PC Gamer has a CD with UO on it with a free month of playing, I suspect if there was a demo, they wouldn't do that.
Darkfist Dragon

Post by Darkfist Dragon »

I agree.
There is no demo for Ultima Online. For Screenshots go to www.uo.com or uo.stratics.com.
I checked also the link to the japanese "demo" and have to say: It reeks very much like a mock up on a server emu. One example is the glass sword that does not exist in the current "original" Ultima Online.
I personally like the 3D version a little bit better than the old version with pre-rendered sprites.

(maybe a demo would be nice.. gonna have to talk to OSI, maybe a small demo, random character, not saved, no money, and limited area.. hmmm)
Soul Harvester

Post by Soul Harvester »

Venom and darkfist, you are both wrong. I've been playing the game since the alpha, (I've since quit), but I believe the charter (not sure on that one) and I KNOW the T2A CD came with a single player "demo" (optional during the install of the game itself, ran on a seperate executable) that put you with a generic character called "Avatar" alone on Occllo island with you, NPC's, and a wisp. The wisp would tell you how to interact with objects, how to talk with NPCs, and how to do some other basic things. It was buggy and was a little messed up. You can't die in the demo until after you kill a dragon in the woods with a "glass" sword, and the engine itself is very akin to the original release of UO, i.e. is not "patched".

So, yes, there IS (or should I say WAS, I've never purchased a ren or LBR CD) a demo.
Stephan

Post by Stephan »

My T2A CD doesn't have a UO demo.
Soul Harvester

Post by Soul Harvester »

If I have to take a screenshot of it to prove it, I will. After you install UO, before setup exits, it will ask you if you want to install the demo. If you do, it runs a mini-setup to install it, and creates a shortcut to it.

IT DOES EXIST.
SB-X

Post by SB-X »

*SB-X pats Soul Harvester on the back.*

"Don't worry. We believe you." ;)
XxVenomxX

Post by XxVenomxX »

hehe, don't freak out man. I've played since the beta, my beta disc has no demo on it. I actually have a disc of every version (I only paid for 2, got the rest for free through OSI related stuff) and none of them have a demo on it. Anyways, I said even if there *was* one, there's not now. Here, let me quote myself:
"Even if there was one a long time ago, the games changed so much that playing single player for a little bit wouldn't do much good, hehe. "
So my statement stands firm. There's no demo for it. There might be an old demo for an older version of it. It's like running a demo of Adobe Photoshop 1.0 and expecting to get used to 6.0. They're 2 different things. If you want to see if you'll like UO, get it and try it online.

Either way, calm down dude! It's all just a game ;)
Darkfist Dragon

Post by Darkfist Dragon »

True... Ultima Online has now so much changed a Demo of UO Second Age would not be a very valid demo anyways. I dont know if there is a Demo on my 2nd Age disc cause I never cancelled the installation but generally finished the install.

And as Venom stated: Its just a game!
Valliant Dragon

Post by Valliant Dragon »

Well, for everyone who likes to actually roleplay, there is an awesome shard to play on

www.mytharria.com

You still have to buy the game, put you can gnab it for 10 bucks canadian, so ...

Thanks,
Valliant Dragon

Oh and btw, I *am* back! =)
Dominus
Site Admin

Post by Dominus »

Soul Harvester:
I just installed UO:t2A and no mention of the Demo, either when you complete installation or if you cancel it halfway through. BUT there was an empty Dir named Demo after the installation.
Even though, we all agreed it's just a game I would really like to see screenshots of where in the installation you got the Demo option.
--
Read the documentation and the FAQ! There is no excuse for not reading them! RTFM
Read the Rules!
We do not support Piracy/Abandonware/Warez!
Skutarth

Post by Skutarth »

Actually, Soul Harvester, your right. I seem to have read that on a few different pages how it says "it comes with a single player demo that you don't have to connect to the Origin servers to play too!"

Just remember that I started this topic!

Hey, can you put it up on an FTP server or something so I can download it?
I haven't been able to find it...

BTW, what kind of ill logic would make Origin put a demo on the retail disc?
Can't even mention how many times I've seen that.
Hehehe.

EXULT RULES!!!
Eric

Post by Eric »

I wouldn't really call it ill logic. Some people (like myself who has money coming out of my yinyang!! ~sarcastic~ hehe) have mixed feelings about paying for a game and then having to pay to play it before even getting the chance to play it just once. From an MMORPG standpoint, as long as the game is single player, cannot connect to a any sort of server, and cannot be patched, and is very very limited then having a demo is alright.

IMO anyway :)
Nuclear Loser

Post by Nuclear Loser »

wow..If i would've known about that I might have actually played the game rather than just letting my month expire, but then I'd be addicted to DAOC like my roommates are :(
Mirek

Post by Mirek »

YES, there was off-line demo (I think on UO: Second ). There was some wisp explaining you what to do.

The demo was on game CD and I think it required to have UO installed before (probably using the same data files?).

I do not know whether this was ever available somewhere separately from UO CD.

So to sum it up: there was a demo :-) , but it was on the CD with the game itself :-( .
And now I guess it would be rather obsolete. It is also probably impossible to get right impression of online game from off-line demo.

Mirek
Stephan

Post by Stephan »

Well, then it must've been on some special version of UO:T2A. I know that my T2A doesn't have a demo included.
XxVenomxX

Post by XxVenomxX »

Right, so posting a demo thats only included on a game CD that you must buy would be considered 'WAREZ', right? Isn't that against your morals Skutarth? hehe

:P
Lance

Post by Lance »

Why is it on the RETAIL cd when it's a DEMO?
Skutarth

Post by Skutarth »

Exactly my question!
XxVenomxX

Post by XxVenomxX »

Probably because it's an effort to get people cancelling an install (as it seems) to try it out and re-install it. Or maybe give people a taste of the game to see if they like it before using the new account code which comes with each CD, in order to make a new account. That way if they didn't like the single player (way back then), they could return it without invalidating the code.
Wow, 2 people from cox-internet.com post after each other in the same minute. Strange coincidence!
Skutarth

Post by Skutarth »

Yeah...
Lance

Post by Lance »

Yeah...
Raving Idiot

Post by Raving Idiot »

>>Wow, 2 people from cox-internet.com post after each other in the same minute. Strange coincidence!>So to sum it up: there was a demo :-) , but it was on the CD with the game itself :-( .
And now I guess it would be rather obsolete. It is also probably impossible to get right impression of online game from off-line demo.<<

I'll have to dig up my t2a cd tonight and check for the demo. And yeah, the demo wouldn't help now considering how much OSI's changed their policy in the span of two and a half years, which is how long I've been playing.
Skutarth

Post by Skutarth »

It's S-K-U-T-A-R-T-H. Like this: Skutarth
Andrew LB

Post by Andrew LB »

There is a Demo for UO and it is on the upgrade disk for "the second age".
Skutarth

Post by Skutarth »

WE KNOW ALREADY!

DROP THE STUPID POST!!!
HellRazor

Post by HellRazor »

I think it was intended to be more of an offline tutorial than a demo.

HellRazor
Skutarth

Post by Skutarth »

!?!
SB-X

Post by SB-X »

?!?
suraimu

Post by suraimu »

*begin sarcasm*
I don't know if you guys noticed this or not, but the wisp's ass is shiny.
*end sarcasm*
Darksheer Dragon

Post by Darksheer Dragon »

shiny shiny ass.... OHH NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!! NOT AGAIN!!!!
Elcangri69

Post by Elcangri69 »

I actually downloaded UO 4 free, inwhich i guess it was a demo cuz i only had it 4 3 days but da thing is, dat i needed a password and a username and 2 get that, u would need 2 pay.....so in other words, it waz a rip off and that u have 2 pay to play it, or just hack it............ u can hack it buy installing a program but i couldnt do it because it was firewalled. But my cousin, Eric, downloaded the game, free, and emailed this guy, and he got a password and a username the next day. I dont know wat he did and he made me an account, but he also erased it just cuz he felt like it, which suxxx........oh well, @!#$ happens.... so there is a demo, but u just can't play it.........
SB-X

Post by SB-X »

!?!?!
Debonaire Hero

Post by Debonaire Hero »

I'm scared. What does it mean?
nex666

Post by nex666 »

Uhm...I remember I got a UO cd off a magazine that had the demo on it, and some free days on OSI. It was T2A.
Most of the ones you download for free give you 30 days.
"So close to my mind and my heart, So far away from my arms and my body"
Justaguy

Post by Justaguy »

While there may not be a demo for UO, isn't there a 15 day free trial? You can download the game legally free at gigex.com. Pretty sure the download doesn't include the Samurai Empire (groan) expansion though.
XxVenomxX

Post by XxVenomxX »

Yay for three years ago, hehe.
Michele

Post by Michele »

EA has publically released various versions of UO for free from time to time.
Most can be found somewhere on the web.
Norfic

Post by Norfic »

Okay, read a few posts and didn't see the correct information...

The Ultima Online Demo was included only on the T2A Upgrade disk.
They quickly realized it was a mistake and haven't included it on anything else.

You do the full install of UO and then when done, it will ask you, if you want to install the Demo. Then when you run the demo it walks you through a Quest. Once you complete the quest you can run around playing as you would in game.

Problem is no one buys anything, the Wisp bugs the heck out of you until you finish the quest. Not alot of starter creatures to build up on. Nothing is locked down, no save option, so if you quit, you start again.

Hope this helps. Yes I own 2 or 3 of these CD's. If price was right I might ship it to you. First come first served. No I won't burn you a copy, upload an .iso or anything else, and no the account doesn't come with it.

Grin.
WID3R

Post by WID3R »

Edited by Dominus. Behave!