SFX question

NOTICE: This forum is archived as read only.
Please use the Github Discussions at https://github.com/exult/exult/discussions
Forum rules
NOTICE: This forum is archived as read only.
Please use the Github Discussions at https://github.com/exult/exult/discussions
Donfrow

SFX question

Post by Donfrow »

Ok, so I have been using the jmsisfx.flx sound pack for nearly a year now and all the sounds are great EXCEPT for the shoreline. It's a very rapid beeping sound almost and makes it nearly unplayable around water due to the annoyance of it.

I finally got fed up and put in the sqsfxsi.flx sound pack which fixed the shoreline and made it sound as I remember which actually sounds like a shore. However, this made all the other sounds completely messed up. An example is when you open a door it sounds right, but when you close it it makes the sound when you turn the portcullis.

Is there some way I can put the sound effect from the sqsfxsi into jmsisfx? Or is there something else that I'm missing?
marzo
Site Admin

Re: SFX question

Post by marzo »

However, this made all the other sounds completely messed up. An example is when you open a door it sounds right, but when you close it it makes the sound when you turn the portcullis.
It shouldn't be doing that... I have been using sqsfx?? for quite a while now (as it sounds better than jm??sfx) and never had problems. About the only things I can think of are (1) the download being corrupted and (2) it not being set up right (for example, using sqsfxbg in SI or sqsfxsi in BG).
------
Marzo Sette Torres Junior
aka Geometrodynamic Dragon
[url=http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html]How To Ask Questions The Smart Way[/url]
Dominus
Site Admin

Post by Dominus »

First off, I remember other people with the shore line sfx problem. Are you using 1.2 or a snapshot (and if you do, a recent one?).

As for the sounds worse after your tinkering, it could be that you messed up the flexing order when you tinkered with it.
--
Read the documentation and the FAQ! There is no excuse for not reading them! RTFM
Read the Rules!
We do not support Piracy/Abandonware/Warez!
Donfrow

Post by Donfrow »

I've re-downloaded both packs and same problem. I did go into BG however and noticed the waves are not messed up. I am using 1.4.04 snapshot, but it has been doing this for about a year. I know it was working fine in one of the 1.4 snapshots but then it started after I updated it and has been like it for all subsequent updates.

Also, I noticed upon harder listening that the shore sound IS there in SI, and it's the correct shore sound, just that for some reason there is the beeping along side it.

I changed the SI portion of it at one point to use the sqsfxsi

sqsfxsi.flx

And the shore sounded like someone hammering in a blacksmith shop.

My exult.cfg with the good sound except for the shore is as follows:

E:\UC\Ultima7

blackgate

(default)

jmsfx.flx

E:\UC\Serpent

(default)

jmsisfx.flx

2xSaI

no

no

yes

no

yes

no

no

no

original

no

yes

yes

yes

yes

yes

no

yes

yes

gm

no

no

no

no

yes

gs

yes

blackgate

gimp-remote -n

Thanks
Donfrow

Post by Donfrow »

Hmm I started a new game without the patch directory and the waves were working as expected. Anyone have any idea a file that is automatically created in the patch folder when modding could cause the sounds to change?
Malignant Manor
Site Admin

Post by Malignant Manor »

Maybe the "shape_info.txt" is to blame. I don't remember it being automatically created, but I know Marzo made changes to the version of the file Exult uses as default (I can't remember the specific changes).
Donfrow

Post by Donfrow »

I guess I shouldn't exclude it to automatically created, I figured that may be the case since I haven't actually done anything to the files that deal with sound.

Looking at shape_info I see there is bubbles in it as well, which also has the same problem. Though it mainly seems to deal with animating it instead of sound?
Malignant Manor
Site Admin

There is an animation section used when an object has the "animated" flag checked for a shape in Exult Studio. After that section, there is a sound fx section that is used when the flag is checked.
Donfrow

Post by Donfrow »

Well, I finally fixed the issue.

The shapes info had sound 49 playing for the waves (sort of like a blacksmith sound) so I went through a bunch of different sounds until I came across the wave one... at 109.

If anyone needs a list that describes (as best as I could anyway) what each sound is like let me know as I have one up to 109.
Donfrow

Post by Donfrow »

On the same vein now I am having issues with music. The music is very choppy and doesn't sound right, so I want to ensure my sound settings are correct. I looked up the documentation and I noticed it said you can change the MIDI Device by using win32_device in exult.cfg but I do not have that (my older post has my exult.cfg).

Where does the fit into the config file?

Thanks
Malignant Manor
Site Admin

Create it under the '' section.

-1 # device number specified in stdout.txt goes here
Donfrow

Post by Donfrow »

Woohoo, setting it to 0 (0: Microsoft GS Wavetable SW Synth) worked and music now sounds as it should!

Thanks!
PimpUigi

Post by PimpUigi »

Would it be possible to change 1 sound in a soundpack?

I want the gate opening sound from the jmsfx pack, and to put it in the sqsfx pack.

anyone know how I can do this?
Malignant Manor
Site Admin

You would need to use the expack tool ("expack.txt" has instructions on how to use it. ) to extract all the shapes from each pack (do it in different directories). Then you would need to replace the the one sound with the one you want (changing the name to the file you are replacing is probably easiest to remember the order for importing it. Then you would need to use expack again to put all the files into a flx.
PimpUigi

Post by PimpUigi »

Sweet, I'll post again if I need anymore info.