Games made with ES need original data files?

NOTICE: This forum is archived as read only.
Please use the Github Discussions at https://github.com/exult/exult/discussions
Forum rules
NOTICE: This forum is archived as read only.
Please use the Github Discussions at https://github.com/exult/exult/discussions
LordHart

Games made with ES need original data files?

Post by LordHart »

After you've made a game with Exult Studio, and want to distribute your game across the internet, will people who download it, need to have Ultima 7 or Serpent Isle installed on their computer to run it? Or can we distribute the neccessary files that the game uses along with it?
Dominus
Site Admin

Re: Games made with ES need original data files?

Post by Dominus »

if you are making use of Ultima 7 files then people need to own the original games as well or you are distributing files from the orignal which is the same as distributing the whole game anyway.
I wouldn't risk that.
--
Read the documentation and the FAQ! There is no excuse for not reading them! RTFM
Read the Rules!
We do not support Piracy/Abandonware/Warez!
drcode
Site Admin

Post by drcode »

You could make an entirely original game with ES that doesn't require any of the U7 files. If you select the File-new in the menus, that's what you'll get. But you'll also find that you have to create a lot of graphical content yourself to get anywhere.

What might be nice is a community effort to provide some free art - basic shapes, faces, fonts, palettes, etc. - that we could distribute with ES. Right now, 'new' will get you some *very* primitive stuff that I did like the stick-figure Avatar:-)
Ethan

Post by Ethan »

Just a technical question, how does Exult Studio output a newly created game? Does it work like fps mods, or that legend of zelda engine, or something entirely different? Just curious.

E
Dominus
Site Admin

Post by Dominus »

a newly created game will look just like Ultima 7. What I mean is that it will have the same filenames in the static dir and perhaps similar files in the patch dir.

An altered BG/SI will only have similar "override" files in the patch directory.
--
Read the documentation and the FAQ! There is no excuse for not reading them! RTFM
Read the Rules!
We do not support Piracy/Abandonware/Warez!
artaxerxes
Site Admin

Post by artaxerxes »

I would like to officialy donate a graphic I've made from scratch but I don't know what is the best way to proceed.

Forget about the portrait since I didn't make that, but the other one, feel free to use in ExultStudio.

http://si-french.sourceforge.net/ancien ... ew_npc.png

Artaxerxes
LordHart

Post by LordHart »

That looks pretty good, but I think that the eyes shouldn't be as prominent as they are, it kind of throws off the balance of the face. Perhaps using a darker fleshtone colour would be more suitable, as it would blend with the rest of the face better.
Gruch, Curiousis, Hoeksma

Post by Gruch, Curiousis, Hoeksma »

Madame Curie? You don't have weird ideas involving Martian Dreams do you?