problems with exult

NOTICE: This forum is archived as read only.
Please use the Github Discussions at https://github.com/exult/exult/discussions
Forum rules
NOTICE: This forum is archived as read only.
Please use the Github Discussions at https://github.com/exult/exult/discussions
brent

problems with exult

Post by brent »

hi i have a problem with just downloading or running or something exult. i download the source file, and when i extract it, i get this notepad with 90%computer giberish. could someone please help me. thank you.
wjp
Site Admin

Re: problems with exult

Post by wjp »

Why did you download the sources? Just get the Windows binary from our download page.

P.S. "giberish" is not the best word to describe things. What's gibberish to you might be perfectly understandable to someone else.
brent

Post by brent »

i tried downloading the windows one and when i extracted the file it says that it is not suitable for ms-dos or something and then asks me to close it.
Dominus
Site Admin

Post by Dominus »

what file did you extract and said that?
The windows download is an installer. You may have tried to download it with a download manager, don't do that or you might not be able to chose a mirror.
--
Read the documentation and the FAQ! There is no excuse for not reading them! RTFM
Read the Rules!
We do not support Piracy/Abandonware/Warez!
brent

Post by brent »

when i dl the windows binary, i save it on my desktop, it has an installer icon named exult1.2win3.2 whenever i try to open it is when i get that message saying it is not suitable.
wjp
Site Admin

Post by wjp »

As Dominus said, you most likely downloaded the mirror webpage instead of the installer. If you have a download manager, disable it.

If not, how big is the file you downloaded?
brent

Post by brent »

im sorry, i have no idea how to turn off dl manager, and file size is 1.98 mb. it also says im using a mirror.
Dominus
Site Admin

Post by Dominus »

could you download it again? Just maybe it didn't download completely. And what Windows are you using?
--
Read the documentation and the FAQ! There is no excuse for not reading them! RTFM
Read the Rules!
brent

Post by brent »

i have downloaded almost every mirror from the windows binary, i have windows xp
wjp
Site Admin

Post by wjp »

What's the exact error message you get?
Dominus
Site Admin

Post by Dominus »

and could you right click on the exult-1.2-win32.exe and chose properties? What does it say there?
--
Read the Rules!
brent

Post by brent »

it calls itself sfx maker (self extracting archive)
Dominus
Site Admin

Post by Dominus »

hmm, I really don't see why it won't start. I use XP myself and downloaded the file to check if something went wrong and it just works for me.
--
Read the Rules!
brent

Post by brent »

yeah im very confused too. when i click on the windows binary, then choose a mirror, then download, what should i do next. maybe im doing something wrong
wjp
Site Admin

Post by wjp »

What is the exact error message that you get?
brent

Post by brent »

this is exact word for word

C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\AUTOEXEC.NT. The system is not suitable for running MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows applications. Choose 'Close" to terminate the application.

and i get 2 options, close and ignore. either one terminates the application.
Dominus
Site Admin

Post by Dominus »

hmm, do you have winrar or winzip installed? You could open the exe in those programs and extract it manually (not sure about winzip, but I guess that should work as well as winrar).
Just renaming the exe to zip should make any unarchiver recognize it as sfx.
When you have extracted the files move the exult dir and all its contents to wherever you want Exult to be. Then edit exult.cfg.example according to the documentation and rename it to exult.cfg.
--
Read the Rules!
brent

Post by brent »

i just got rar, and i am getting much more results. i will post when i run into problems
brent

Post by brent »

ok how do you open up ultima 7. should i click on the u7 icon or the should the exult file automatically run it.
Dominus
Site Admin

Post by Dominus »

--
Read the Rules!
brent

Post by brent »

YES! after reading installation (because i did not read it because im an idiot) i am now playing it and loving it. it brings tears to my eyes, i cant believe. seriously, you guys are the best, thanks for helping me out along the way too.