Silver Seed Mushroom Easter Egg

NOTICE: This forum is archived as read only.
Please use the Github Discussions at https://github.com/exult/exult/discussions
Forum rules
NOTICE: This forum is archived as read only.
Please use the Github Discussions at https://github.com/exult/exult/discussions
Kawolski

Silver Seed Mushroom Easter Egg

Post by Kawolski »

I don't think it was implemented into Exult, but in Serpent Isle's Silver Seed, I discovered this unique easter egg by accident a long time ago. :D

If you have the Silver Seed manual, the location where this is is in the Abandoned Outpost, Level 3 in the room marked with stairwell "E" (If you don't have the manual, go here: http://www.bootstrike.com/Ultima7si/manuals.html )

Coordinates: (05ab, 0bbf, 01) or (1451, 3007, 01)

If you double-click the big mushroom near the crack (I'm not sure if this is triggered by double-clicking multiple times or double-clicking the 1x1 target area near the crack), you can get a crosshair. Click one of your party members and they'll say "I am the lizard king!" and start muttering gibberish. :D
wjp
Site Admin

Re: Silver Seed Mushroom Easter Egg

Post by wjp »

There are two conditions for this easter egg to trigger:

1: One of the flags from the bane plot has to be set. (Doing this after the entire bane plot will do the trick) It's flag 0004, btw, if you want to set it manually.

2: It has to be before 7am (game-time)

When these are met, you get a crosshair one in seven times. (Randomly)
ToasterThief4

Post by ToasterThief4 »

How the devil was this egg even found? That's incredible luck.
Gileathane Dragon

Post by Gileathane Dragon »

Quote:

Iolo: "I am the Lizard King! I can do anything!"
Avatar: "May I borrow thy balloon? Mine seems to be hormonal with much consternation."

End quote.

Seriously though, did you find that accidentally or did you just browse through the egg lists ?

Gil
irinotecanHCL

Post by irinotecanHCL »

Hehe, good egg.

Apparantly it's tied to the mushroom, and not the coordinates. If you turn on the hackmover, and put the mushroom in your inventory, you can turn anyone into the "lizard king" :-)
Kawolski

Post by Kawolski »

Yay! It works! I found this purely by accident at said coordinates. I've never seen this egg listed before or else I would've known how it was triggered exactly. ;)
Knight Captain

Post by Knight Captain »

I came across this myself while digging into the SI usecode. It is tied to the larger magic mushroom shape, not to a location.

The larger magic mushroom:
void shapeMushroom shape#(0x3C0) ()
It calls:
void theLizardKing 0x91A (var object)

That has a 1-of-7 die roll, and if before 7AM and if the Banes are released:
if ((UI_die_roll(1, 7) == 7) && ((UI_game_hour() < 7) && (gflags[BANES_RELEASED])))

Which then calls back to the same larger magic mushroom, and that appears to only turn off the LIZARD_KING flag if there's a successful 4-of-7 die roll.

It will also set the Avatar to confused if used on him. My guess is this was put in to test the Oink! copy protection system and not taken out.
Dale

Post by Dale »

Amazing.. the game that keeps on giving.
agentorangeguy

Post by agentorangeguy »

wow! I love how this game had all these secrets and little things hidden in plain sight. This is one of the better known ones, but you can, ahem, "mount" a sheep if you double click it long enough lol
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ultima 6 Mod for Exult site: http://www.ultima6.realmofultima.com/
Knight Captain

Post by Knight Captain »

Speaking of that, did you know there's an apparently unworking check for the NPC ID number of the sheep that is supposed to prevent the Avatar from violating each sheep more than 3 times?
Gotcha!

Post by Gotcha! »

I did not even know you could violate them.
I do vaguely remember something happening to Smudge the cat (Monitor) after double-clicking him too much.
Dale

Post by Dale »

My life just keeps getting better and better...
Paulon

Post by Paulon »

IIRC, Smudge is a trifle explosive if you keep on bothering him.
Dominus
Site Admin

Post by Dominus »

Sorry OT:
@Paulon, we were talking about you the other day in the UDIC Facebook group
https://www.dropbox.com/s/50hj9wjkadc0n ... n.png?dl=0
So, you can't make it to the UDIC anniversary bash? Too bad, I would have loved to meet you!
--
Read the documentation and the FAQ! There is no excuse for not reading them! RTFM
Read the Rules!
We do not support Piracy/Abandonware/Warez!
Gotcha!

Post by Gotcha! »

Smudge probably ate too much of the gunpowder that Standarr engineered.
Knight Captain

Post by Knight Captain »

Found another mistake, this time in the egg for the Fellowship Sermon egg. Notice all the NPCs bark to close the sermon as you approach except Scots? His bit of code in the egg actually lists Kylista as the barker instead, so he says nothing.
agentorangeguy

Post by agentorangeguy »

Hahahha didn't know it checked for a ID number to prevent it after 3 times lol.

I've always heard about the exploding cat but I never treid it. If i'm remembering correctly Smudge would tear up some goblins during the apocalypse. Wasn't he all buffed up stat wise?
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ultima 6 Mod for Exult site: http://www.ultima6.realmofultima.com/
Knight Captain

Post by Knight Captain »

Yes, Smudge is a Cat-Knight:
Dex: 28
Int: 3
Str: 28
Com: 26
Hits: 30

So someone manually set him into beast mode.

The sheep-violation-limit doesn't work because the check for NPC ID number if fails continues to something that reset the NPC ID to zero, effectively preventing the violation-limit from being reached.

It's also interesting that cutscenes are embedded in several shapes' code rather than as their own functions in SI. The Gwani child has a few Monk scenes, the Moonshade Banquet is in the Filbercio shape, and the famous sex scene is in the naked blonde woman shape.
Gotcha!

Post by Gotcha! »

No wonder Smudge blows up when repeatedly poked. That cat is filled to the brim with steroids!
Paulon

Post by Paulon »

@Dominus: While I'd have liked to be able to get to the Anniversary, I'm not in a position to do so. I'd probably be a disappointment in person though. :-/

On Topic:
After so long, I'm not completely sure, but I _think_ I hit the Lizard King on my very first playthrough of Silver Seed. It is knid of memorable. I never got it again though, and the flags explain why: my first game I was using a save from near the end after the Bane plot was complete, since I'd bought Silver Seed separately later on, and in subsequent games I always went for the Silver Seed plot as early as possible, during the Moonglow/Monk Isle section of the main game, which meant the trigger flag was never set for those later playthroughs.

Nifty to know.
Knight Captain

Post by Knight Captain »

Others have posted that The Silver Seed expansion reverted some Usecode to pre-release status. I wonder if this is in the plain old SI? It doesn't seem to be in the Beta, searching for 'lizard'.
Lavacopter

Post by Lavacopter »

Yeah, it's in plain SI.
Dale

Post by Dale »

I am blanking... Lizard King?