SI Second Map?

NOTICE: This forum is archived as read only.
Please use the Github Discussions at https://github.com/exult/exult/discussions
Forum rules
NOTICE: This forum is archived as read only.
Please use the Github Discussions at https://github.com/exult/exult/discussions
Knight Captain

SI Second Map?

Post by Knight Captain »

How much work would it be to copy the Serpent Isle game map and then remove the dungeon areas and Silver Seed parts from the main map? Then just change the teleporters to go back and forth between the overland and dungeon maps?
Dominus
Site Admin

Re: SI Second Map?

Post by Dominus »

You *could* do it "easily". You would just need to add a another map and then copy over all the map files from the main map, this would mean the main map file, the u7ifixnn and the u7iregnn files (u7iregnn files are in initgame.dat - you would need to unzip, copy and zip the dat file again) (I think Exult Studio gives you the option to duplicate a map when you create a new one - never tried that yet).
THEN you would need to check every stair egg and edit those that point at the dungeons.

So it could be done and doesn't sound too hard, just very time consuming.

BUT I wouldn't do that. It will screw with every existing guide that mentions coordinates. Not to mention the memories of everyone that played the game extensively. And the starting scenes protection against cheating will need more work than the above mentioned one.
I'd extend the map a lot via a second map but not go the full distance.
--
Read the documentation and the FAQ! There is no excuse for not reading them! RTFM
Read the Rules!
We do not support Piracy/Abandonware/Warez!
Knight Captain

Post by Knight Captain »

The reason I asked was the second half of the game (post-Batlin) included Hawk giving you his ship, and clearing those "ocean" areas would allow the Avatar to sail. And I wouldn't mess with the dungeon locations, so the coordinates would be the same except for being on the second map. It would be ugly for the scripted teleportation parts, though, unless Exult uses the Avatar's current map by default.

It would be possible to re-implement the opening scene using Usecode. Instead of teleporting from center strip to western strip to the "real" eastern part, the boat's shapes could be placed via Usecode, and any items dropped could be removed via Usecode that makes Thoxa appear. This might actually be useful for non-modded games on larger resolutions.
agentorangeguy

Post by agentorangeguy »

That would be pretty cool, I say if you can and are willing to do it, then go for it! You could probably have a usecode egg or even put it in the script to delete all the items in a set radius (all possible locations that stuff could be dropped without cheating).
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ultima 6 Mod for Exult site: http://www.ultima6.realmofultima.com/
Donfrow

Post by Donfrow »

Aside from the teleport eggs already discussed, I deleted all of the dungeon/water areas when I first started my mod/game many years ago. It's was a long and tedious process but it wasn't hard; I simply used the combo picker and kept selecting and deleting.

Be weary of small hidden roof tiles though. A lot of the areas seem to have a small or clear roof time which I had to replace with a custom shape so I could see and delete them. I believe it's shape 941 frame 0.
Knight Captain

Post by Knight Captain »

ES very much needs a click-and-drop area selector for this to be smooth.