Ultima 7 on 5 1/4" Floppies

NOTICE: This forum is archived as read only.
Please use the Github Discussions at https://github.com/exult/exult/discussions
Forum rules
NOTICE: This forum is archived as read only.
Please use the Github Discussions at https://github.com/exult/exult/discussions
Fingersmith

Ultima 7 on 5 1/4" Floppies

Post by Fingersmith »

I would love to be able to play Ultima 7 but my box came with 5 1/4" floppies and I can no longer use them. Does anyone have any suggestions about what I can do?
Dominus
Site Admin

Re: Ultima 7 on 5 1/4" Floppies

Post by Dominus »

with 5 1/4" floppies? Strange! I have BG in an original box and have 3 1/2"
--
Read the documentation and the FAQ! There is no excuse for not reading them! RTFM
Read the Rules!
We do not support Piracy/Abandonware/Warez!
Armchair Avatar

Post by Armchair Avatar »

Why can't you use them?
Is it because you don't have a 5 1/4" drive, or because the data has become corrupt?
Fingersmith

Post by Fingersmith »

If I remember right at the time the game came in both formats but we didn't have a 3 1/2" drive at that time.

I don't have a 5 1/4" drive anymore, I hope the data is still intact, do you think I could take them to a shop or something to get them converted onto CD or 3 1/2" floppies? Would Origin give me replacements?
Dominus
Site Admin

Post by Dominus »

forget origin.
I'm not sure how i would go about getting them off the 5 1/4" disks. I'd have to get my old drive from back home (700 km away). I know no one who still has a drive...
--
Read the documentation and the FAQ! There is no excuse for not reading them! RTFM
Read the Rules!
MV

Post by MV »

Pity it doesn't look like you're in Australia, otherwise we could easily organise you to send them to me for conversion. (I have about 4 5 1/4" drives here. I've just got so much old stuff).

Anyway, my only other suggestion is to pick a drive up off ebay. Preferably a new one too. It'll be hard, but not impossible. I got a new external toshiba 5 1/4" drive not too long ago from AU ebay.

Or even another option is to just either find U7 on a compliation CD from a shop in the cheap section, or just buy it on ebay.
Fingersmith

Post by Fingersmith »

Yea I'm in England which is a shame because your offer is very generous, thanks MV.

I hadn't thought much about it but now that I've found exult I'll ask around my family and friends, someone must still have one of the old 5 1/4" beasts.

I didn't know I might be able to get a new 5 1/4" drive and I didn't know they did Ultima compilation CDs. There's some options for me. So thanks for your help!
Ezric

Post by Ezric »

I recently picked up a used high density 5 1/4" drive at a used computer parts store for something like $2.50 US. They're dirt cheap if you can find one for sale.
Annorax

Post by Annorax »

I have Ultima 7 on 5.25'' floppies, it needs about 7 to fit! I also have a 5.25'' drive in my current computer running Windows 2000. You should have no problem installing the drive, just make sure your motherboard supports it. It goes on the same IDE chain as the 3.5'' floppy.
--------------
Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Become evil.
Armchair Avatar

Post by Armchair Avatar »

I got a new external toshiba 5 1/4" drive not too long ago from AU ebay.
Is it a USB drive? ;-)
MV

Post by MV »

Is it a USB drive? ;-)
Nope, printer port.

But the drive itself is a standard drive and can mount internally if you remove it from the external housing.
teamster1975

Post by teamster1975 »

Fingersmith, where abouts do you live? I'm in Woking in Surrey, if you're local we can sort something out.
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Highly recommend you get the Compilation CD if it's not too much money. There are usually a few available on Ebay fairly cheap. You'll get the forge of virtue add-on, plus Serpent Isle and its add-on.. which means exult can pull the paper-dolls from SI into Ultima VII for you, making it even better.

You'll still be able to use your map and manuals from your original copy...
Darkstar

Post by Darkstar »

> It goes on the same IDE chain as the 3.5'' floppy.

I wouldn't recommend connecting a floppy to an IDE cable ;-)

--Darkstar
MV

Post by MV »

Just as long as it's a 34pin ide floppy cable. ;)

I just wouldn't try plugging a floppy into the ATA interface unless it was a ls120, zip or something similar (40pin). :)
teamster1975

Post by teamster1975 »

Don't forget you'd need a convertor for the edge connector on the 5 1/4!
Annorax

Post by Annorax »

>> It goes on the same IDE chain as the 3.5'' floppy.

>I wouldn't recommend connecting a floppy to an IDE cable ;-)

Well, whatever you call it. :)
It's the same chain as the 3.5'' drive. I hooked mine up with no problems, and the BIOS and OS recognize it fine.
--------------
Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Become evil.
wintermute_turing_ai

Post by wintermute_turing_ai »

Okay, honestly, and I mean no offense to you hard working and WELL MEANING folks, but these are some of the worst suggestions I've ever seen.

Want to know what piracy is? Paying $70 for U7 in 1991, and then paying another $20 for the Ultima Collection in 2003 to play U7 because your diskettes are truly useless now. Even sillier, spending countless hours shipping fragile (and collectable) diskettes halfway across the country for conversion. Or better yet, waste a weekend chasing down relatives for some stinking yellowed 5-1/4" sony drive that hasn't been cleaned or used in 10 years, only to find out that its so dirty that it scratches your diskettes and permanently destroys the data on 'em.

If EA execs want to be that completely unyielding in situations where their products are literally unplayable after several years.. well, I don't know what to say. I doubt there's any civil word for it.

[Edited by Dominus: We REALLY don't want to see something like this on the forum, no matter what you think about EA]

cheers,
WM.
MV

Post by MV »

So your suggestion is to find it on a P2P network and download it?

Just because I payed: (u7 ONLY orientated, much more spent on other ultimas):

~$80 for u7, ~$40 expansion (disks suffed up)
~$100 SI, ~$40 SS. (Disks stuffed up again)
~$80 U7 CD collection. (Full collection with ALL manuals, not value)
~$90 (I think, probably more though), U9 dragon edition
~$50 (I think), for some 'top 10 pack' with U7 on it.
~$10 recently on ebay for an original U7 with working disks.

All I can think of right now.

Does not mean I'll pirate U7 because I hate EA. ;)
wintermute_turing_ai

Post by wintermute_turing_ai »

Dominus: Fine. I'll relent.

Fingersmith: if you'd like some help, e-mail me.
Dominus
Site Admin

Post by Dominus »

thanks
--
Read the Rules!
Telemachos

Post by Telemachos »

I doubt anyone really care much if you download U7 or now - as long as you do so *silently* ;) No need to post here about it.

Personally I'm a big Ultima collector and have just about all Ultimas one or more times in their original version and packaging. As long as you have the UC cd you are pretty much set for most of the games but there are a few that isn't included on that cd. And I'll be the first to admit that my personal policy is that once bought some way or the other I can use any means nessesary to play. Hmm.. although now that I think of it I cannot think of any of the games that I don't have on the UC cd or on 3'1/2 discs... but lets say just for arguments sake that I bought SE for example and it only came on 5'1/4 discs.. then I would probably download it - but I wouldn't tell ya ;)

- Tele
Telemachos

Post by Telemachos »

Ahh, now I remember.. actually SE *doesn't* include both floppy formats.. the first version I found only came on 5'1/4 actually! Then later I got another one on 3'1/2... but to be honest I think that was *after* I played the game, so there ;)

- Tele
Dominus
Site Admin

Post by Dominus »

Now I remember the last time I used my 5" 1/4 - to copy SE from the disks to hd, right after I received it. Won on Ebay.
--
Read the Rules!