Serpent Isle List Field Bug

NOTICE: This forum is archived as read only.
Please use the Github Discussions at https://github.com/exult/exult/discussions
Forum rules
NOTICE: This forum is archived as read only.
Please use the Github Discussions at https://github.com/exult/exult/discussions
Automaton Dragon

Serpent Isle List Field Bug

Post by Automaton Dragon »

This only happened to me once, and after reloading and trying again it did not happen, but...

.. I trained Iolo at the list field, and after he walked onto the field, nobody attacked him. He just stood there. I even tried leaving him there for 15 minutes (real time) but nothing happened. I had to kill exult and restart. My theory is that this might have happened because all of the trainers were off-screen.

Which brings up another possible bug: when you choose to train with Shazanna, for example, you might end up fighting against Caladin on the list field. It seems like you just fight the nearest person there. I thought in the original that you fought only against the person you chose to train with.

But on a much better note: I finished SI! I have owned this game since it came out in stores (1993, I think) but never was able to finish it because of bugs in the original. Specifically, in the original, Pothos would never acknowledge that I had brought him bloodmoss..

Anyway, no such problems in Exult! The few problems I did have were either my fault (didn't do something completely/correctly) or minor enough not to prevent the game from playing through!

My hat is off to the developers, testers, artists, maintainers, etc of this great program! Thanks! You've outdone the original!
drcode
Site Admin

Re: Serpent Isle List Field Bug

Post by drcode »

The List Field might work a little better in the 1.1x snapshot. I've seen problems similar to what you've seen. The trouble is that they're random; and when I try to debug them, they don't happen!
ascendence

Post by ascendence »

alright, i know cheating isnt the best thing in the world to do, but ive completed both ultima 7's god only knows how many times.. in the list field, if you destroy the chests to open them (yeah, pointless i know), the game really has a problem when you try to fight afterwards. the pikeman goes on about not having his keys and such, and the code is shown in his conversation about not engaging. which is a nice debug strategy btw. i was just curious if there's any way around it without reloading a previous save game, its kind of funny watching him talk nonsense though.
-kel, deity of sarcasm
suraimu

Post by suraimu »

Nooooooooooo!!! The list field will never work!! It must be cursed!!! AAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!@^%#

I think we should find whoever wrote that particular chunk of usecode and hang them by the saq. :P