Pikeman at List Field

NOTICE: This forum is archived as read only.
Please use the Github Discussions at https://github.com/exult/exult/discussions
Forum rules
NOTICE: This forum is archived as read only.
Please use the Github Discussions at https://github.com/exult/exult/discussions
Kuroshi

Pikeman at List Field

Post by Kuroshi »

Does the Pikeman at List Field (the one you ask to train) have a schedule? I haven't been able to find him. I just happened to notice because I got back from the Silver Seed quest and haven't been able to get Luther to give the shield back because I can't train. Going back through my savegames it seems he disappeared within an hour period between getting my wolf's pelt and going to the banquet. Hasn't been in a single savegame since (and it's been a long time!). :D

Any suggestions on how to bring him back?
Kuroshi

Fawn Tower

Post by Kuroshi »

Heh, apparently Fawn Tower is co-inhabited by Goblins and Pikemen at the same time as well. I wonder if I did something out of order to cause that.
wjp
Site Admin

Re: Fawn Tower

Post by wjp »

Hm, the pikemen seems to disappear occasionally when doing the banquet. We've had several other reports of this.
RazorBlade

Post by RazorBlade »

This happened to me in the original game some times. A workaround for getting your shield is to try to walk on the wall and ask him for the shield. It worked for me, but the Pikeman never returned. So it is no Exult bug I think. I recommend trying an older savegame though.
drcode
Site Admin

Post by drcode »

Yes, he doesn't have a schedule, but is supposed to be created by an 'egg' by the desk each time you approach. There must be a bug causing that egg to disappear, but I've never been able to duplicate it.
wjp
Site Admin

Post by wjp »

Kuroshi: if you still have the savegames right before and right after the pikeman disappears, could you email them to me?
Kuroshi

Post by Kuroshi »

Just sent them. Went through the banquet in the first save twice earlier today and wasn't able to repeat the disappearing pikeman, just so you know. Maybe just savegame corruption?
wjp
Site Admin

Post by wjp »

I tried three times, and couldn't get him to disappear :-(

Can you remember anything else you did between the savegames?
Kuroshi

Pikeman

Post by Kuroshi »

Well, the first save was at 23:01 game-time and the second was 23:09, it takes about :04 to walk there, and I remember that I had a little trouble finding the hall (forgot where it was). Essentially, I didn't do anything but walk around looking for the place. I think the only reason I have a save during the banquet is because I was wondering if I could (save that is). :)
Kuroshi

Re: Pikeman

Post by Kuroshi »

I got all my times mixed up. It was 23:01 and 23:09 my time, and it was :22 between saves game-time. I probably exited the game during that time to go get a drink or something, but I'm not sure, it was a few days ago. It takes :04 to walk there and I'm not sure how much time had been spent in the banquet. If I did anything in-game it would have been inventory management, though I could have talked to someone (it would have had to have been quick). I'll try to figure it out.
Kuroshi

Post by Kuroshi »

Hmm I was just able to repeat it. I made the mistake last time of just checking to see if the Pikeman was there instead of looking for the egg. I just walked to the banquet in the first save, went through the banquet as quickly as possible, saved before I got my party back, walked over to the Pikeman and the green U was gone (the one near the desk). Sometimes when I load he's there, and sometimes he's not, but the U is always gone.

Tried again and both he and the U were there. Still working at it. :|
Kuroshi

Post by Kuroshi »

I got one that has worked five times in a row. Instead of using the banquet doors when I'm right in front of them, I used them before I got to the front of the building, and the Avatar auto-walked over there to open them. Every time the Pikeman was gone. Tried it twice using the door when right in front of it, and the Pikeman was there both times. I'll try it a bit more. I don't think saving, quitting the game, alt-tabbing out, or using a window has any bearing on it, because I haven't done any of those during the tests. I use 400x300 resolution, mainly because it's the lowest one for Exult that looks right on this monitor.
Kuroshi

Post by Kuroshi »

Forgot to mention that I'm walking down the left side of the banquet hall, the one near List Field. Haven't had the Pikeman disappear when I walk down the other side to get there, though I only tried twice.
wjp
Site Admin

Post by wjp »

Hm, from what location did you open the doors exactly? left, right? Also, what path did you take to the banquet hall? past the list field or approaching it from the east?
wjp
Site Admin

Post by wjp »

Never mind; got it :-)

Approach from the left, and open the doors as soon as you can see them. This way, the pikeman's egg is closer to the avatar than the egg that controls the banquet doors. This causes find_nearby to return the wrong egg, and it is then deleted.

Thanks for the help!
Kuroshi

Post by Kuroshi »

Good to be of help.

For anyone that this might have happened to earlier but wasn't willing to go back to an earlier save (like me): I suggest loading an earlier save and looking at the egg near the pikeman. Then you can create it in your current save with ExultStudio.
drcode
Site Admin

Post by drcode »

Thanks! I just tried it in the original SI, and the same thing happens.

We have to be really careful about fixing this, as other things depend on the order in which find_nearby() finds things.
Dominus
Site Admin

Post by Dominus »

aargh, those bugs from the original. Bugger!!!
We can do without them.... :-)
--
Read the documentation and the FAQ! There is no excuse for not reading them! RTFM
Read the Rules!
We do not support Piracy/Abandonware/Warez!
drcode
Site Admin

Post by drcode »

Maybe we should report them to Origin:-)
Colourless
Site Admin

Post by Colourless »

It's another case of we are emulating the original engine so perfectly that the originals bugs also appear in Exult

-Colourless Dragon
British Fiend

Post by British Fiend »

How can you take pride in having errors? ;)
wjp
Site Admin

Post by wjp »

Easy: they're not our errors :-)

(The errors are in the data files. In this case the egg placement and/or usecode are faulty)
Soul Harvester

Post by Soul Harvester »

Here's a question for the exult coders or anyone who knows something about the Usecode.

In the original U7:SI, if you smashed the two chests closest to the door (I could never break the door) with a long weapon or powder keg or smth (you could do it through the door), the pikeman then, upon ever asking him about training or sparring, says he can't because he has "Lost the keys"(i am NOT joking).

Why does it cause this, and if it is because the object is gone or there was an egg inside it or something, why oh why were eggs in a visible container or even in a location where a non-cheating player could mess with them?
Neutronium Dragon

Post by Neutronium Dragon »

I would suspect that the chests are where your equipment is stored while you're sparring or training. With the chests gone, the game has nowhere to stash the items, and thus returns the "I can't find my keys" comment to avoid an error.

Neutronium Dragon
Soul Harvester

Post by Soul Harvester »

Ah, that makes sense, considering there are six chests.