Crashing when clicking a plaque in SI

NOTICE: This forum is archived as read only.
Please use the Github Discussions at https://github.com/exult/exult/discussions
Forum rules
NOTICE: This forum is archived as read only.
Please use the Github Discussions at https://github.com/exult/exult/discussions
roks

Crashing when clicking a plaque in SI

Post by roks »

Everytime i click on the plaque by the blue flame (where you're supposed to put down the lightning whip... abandoned outpost? to get rid of the force barriers i get str8 to desktopped.)

1.5.0 SVN WinXP latest snapshot (4-12-13...improved some crashing issues w.r.t that damn inn, you know the one.)
Dominus
Site Admin

Re: Crashing when clicking a plaque in SI

Post by Dominus »

Can you post a savegame?
--
Read the documentation and the FAQ! There is no excuse for not reading them! RTFM
Read the Rules!
We do not support Piracy/Abandonware/Warez!
roks

Post by roks »

passed it but i should have a save close so i'll try.
Dominus
Site Admin

Post by Dominus »

If you can point me in the directions I can try to trigger it myself. Ccordinates would be good with the way SI map is layed out ;)
--
Read the documentation and the FAQ! There is no excuse for not reading them! RTFM
Read the Rules!
Dominus
Site Admin

Post by Dominus »

Never mind, found the spot, but it doesn't crash for me. So a savegame would be really useful. I did however notice that on the way there when you are in the room with the exits suddenly blocked by energy fields neither the poison nor the explosion shooters react...
--
Read the Rules!
roks

Post by roks »

Ok finally figured out where the save files are... but this time I found the same bug somewhere else (I'm not exactly sure where I am ... adventuring heh heh.. but you may recognize it)... as soon as i click on a plaque, boom, desktop.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/121 ... lt05si.sav

Same config as before.
Dominus
Site Admin

Post by Dominus »

And it's plain Silver Seed not SI fixes?
--
Read the Rules!
roks

Post by roks »

This is running the latest 1.5.0 binary on the GoG released complete U7 // of course each is in their own directory as mentioned.

It's been running really smooth other than clicking on these plaques randomly which seems to dump me to desktop. Haven't had a overworld / dungeon crash in a long time.

Had another plaque crash going for the water of discipline... i got more information from the stderr this time.

Warning, trailing slash in path: "\"
Warning, trailing slash in path: "\"
Digital SFX's file specified: ... but file not found, and fallbacks are missing
Shape::store_frame: framenum >= frames_size (7 >= 5)
Illegal egg itype: 0
Digital SFX's file specified: ... but file not found, and fallbacks are missing
roks

Post by roks »

http://exult.info/snapshots/Exultwin32.exe

natch.

IDK what SI Fixes are.
roks

Post by roks »

The crashes have been happening in serpent island... -- not just the silver seed plaque... in fact i cleared the silver seed earlier today with no issues.
Dominus
Site Admin

Post by Dominus »

Sorry, have not been clear. SI fixes is a mod for SI with the add-on Silver Seed. Because I knew from your first post that you are running SI+SS, I just labeled it Silver Seed :)
--
Read the Rules!
roks

Post by roks »

Would trying out SI fixes flub up my current saved game or is it worth trying to salvage these crashes to press on?
Dominus
Site Admin

Post by Dominus »

hmm, I have no idea what is happening there for you. I cannot reproduce these crashes. I tried current snapshot of OS X and Windows (tried on XP).

Can you copy/paste your full exult.cfg? Maybe it has something to do with some other setting that I do not have set.
--
Read the Rules!
Dominus
Site Admin

Post by Dominus »

don't bother with SI fixes. You'd need to start a new game or some problems would probably arise.
--
Read the Rules!
roks

Post by roks »

C:\Program Files\GOG.com\The Complete Ultima VII\Ultima7

(default)

sqsfxbg.flx

(default)

C:\Program Files\GOG.com\The Complete Ultima VII\Serpent

(default)

sqsfxsi.flx

(default)

yes

no

gs

no

gm

no

no

no

no

yes

no

yes

yes

yes

yes

yes

no

yes

yes

no

keypause

yes

normal

yes

no

double

yes

no

no

Scale2X

yes

no

Aspect Correct Centre

Point

yes
Dominus
Site Admin

Post by Dominus »

Nothing obvious, but I'll try these settings tomorrow. You could try putting SI into a path without spaces (e.g. NOT C:/program files/...). I doubt that this is still an issue but we have an old warning about that in our docs.
--
Read the Rules!
wjp
Site Admin

Post by wjp »

I can't reproduce this either, but just on a hunch, does this still happen after you cast the Translation spell?
Dominus
Site Admin

Post by Dominus »

sorry, I tried my best to reproduce it. but nothing I do helps. I installed the GOG version, used the same path as your old GOG install uses (GOG eventually got smart and doesn't install the games to C:\Program Files\... anymore since that is asking for trouble on Windows Vista upwards with limited write rights as standard user in the Program Files folders...), used the same settings (AFAICT) -> no crash
--
Read the Rules!
roks

Post by roks »

@ wjp -- HA! I did cast it (translation) just now and i can read the plaques now... what the freaking deuce?
wjp
Site Admin

Post by wjp »

I'm not at all sure what would cause this, but these plaques are in the serpent script, while the Translation spell turns them into roman script. Could be a corrupt font file, maybe.
Dominus
Site Admin

Post by Dominus »

Can you redownload from Gog and reinstall, just to make sure no corruption occured?
Be careful though, newer gog installer no longer installs to c:/program files/... meaning you might have to change the path in exult.cfg
--
Read the Rules!
roks

Post by roks »

NOW THAT YOU MENTION IT -- i do use a certain font file that renders the normal text you read into a font that isn't absolutely atrocious for my horrible eyes -- let me show you a screen + provide the font file and see you can replicate my crashes then.

I'd love to be able to play with this font even if it's the problem because the original in game font, while classy, makes me squint and bothers the hell out of me overall.

roks

Post by roks »

Here's the font file in question -- other than the plaque issue it's been so much easier to read the normal text and makes the game so much more pleasant for me personally it would suck if i have to change it.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1210987/FONTS.VGA

(drag / drop into STATIC folder and overwrite fonts.VGA) ((obv i saved the original just in case =p)) this works in both BG and SI.

On a totally unrelated note -- is there any way to change the fonts / font size of in game books? I feel like i need eagle vision to read them usin' 800 x 600 scale x2 hehe.
Dominus
Site Admin

Post by Dominus »

You need a font for SI. Search the forum (make sure you search all dates) there is one for SI.
Putting a font replacement for BG in SI is resulting in your crashes because the serpentine runes are missing.
--
Read the Rules!
Dominus
Site Admin

Post by Dominus »

--
Read the Rules!
roks

Post by roks »

Ah yeah that's practically the same font (buried in that thread) I was using but it works on the plaques (and i assume the books as well... they were just blank w/o translate) so, awesome! thanks! now... to restart or try to remember where i was without a faq .... =p

ugh playing the game with a faq feels dirty but don't you just hate it when you cant find a barely hidden key that no one told you to look for or threw away that one tiny item somewhere? Ah well this game rules anyway.

I just wish the in game books had a better font as well now, love reading in game books.

Thanks again and will report back !

P.S. Where did you all decide to go to the Silver Seed area? Did you wait for it to become a more major plot point or did you just use the necklace asap and checked it out non-linearly? I ask because I kind of like having a plot point reason to do a thing but at the same time SS has so many good items that make inventory management etc so much easier.... it's hard not to just want to God Mode through it immediately on a restart.