Compiling on ubuntu?

NOTICE: This forum is archived as read only.
Please use the Github Discussions at https://github.com/exult/exult/discussions
Forum rules
NOTICE: This forum is archived as read only.
Please use the Github Discussions at https://github.com/exult/exult/discussions
bobthecowboy

Compiling on ubuntu?

Post by bobthecowboy »

So I was trying to build the RC1 on Ubuntu 10.10 today. I did it about a week ago on my desktop with the same OS, but I can't seem to replicate my success on my laptop. Is there a list somewhere of what packages might be needed on a Debian system?

I've installed build-essentials, libvorbis-dev, and libsdl1.2-dev

Here's a snippet that might help. I guess I'm missing some kind of X11 dev lib? Building with --disable-tools btw, which is the only way I was able to get it to work on my Desktop.

libtool: link: g++ -O2 -Wno-long-long -g -O2 -o exult actions.o actorio.o actors.o args.o browser.o cheat.o cheat_screen.o combat.o delobjs.o dir.o drag.o effects.o exult.o exultmenu.o game.o gameclk.o gamedat.o gamemap.o gamerend.o gamewin.o istring.o keys.o keyactions.o menulist.o monsters.o mouse.o npcnear.o npctime.o palette.o party.o paths.o readnpcs.o schedule.o shapeid.o tqueue.o txtscroll.o version.o xdrag.o pathfinder/.libs/libpathfinder.a audio/.libs/libaudio.a audio/midi_drivers/.libs/libmididrv.a audio/midi_drivers/timidity/.libs/libtimidity.a flic/.libs/libflic.a conf/.libs/libconf.a imagewin/.libs/libimagewin.a server/.libs/libserver.a usecode/.libs/libusecode.a shapes/.libs/libshapes.a shapes/shapeinf/.libs/libshapeinf.a objs/.libs/libobjs.a gumps/.libs/libgumps.a files/.libs/libu7file.a files/zip/.libs/libminizip.a gamemgr/.libs/libgamemgr.a -L/usr/lib /usr/lib/libSDL.so -lz /usr/lib/libvorbisfile.so /usr/lib/libvorbis.so -logg /usr/lib/libasound.so -lm -ldl -lpthread -lrt
xdrag.o: In function `Get_window_coords':
/home/bsanders/Downloads/exult-1.4.9rc1/xdrag.cc:51: undefined reference to `XQueryTree'
/home/bsanders/Downloads/exult-1.4.9rc1/xdrag.cc:53: undefined reference to `XFree'
/home/bsanders/Downloads/exult-1.4.9rc1/xdrag.cc:59: undefined reference to `XGetWindowAttributes'
xdrag.o: In function `Xdnd':
/home/bsanders/Downloads/exult-1.4.9rc1/xdrag.cc:88: undefined reference to `XInternAtom'
/home/bsanders/Downloads/exult-1.4.9rc1/xdrag.cc:89: undefined reference to `XInternAtom'
/home/bsanders/Downloads/exult-1.4.9rc1/xdrag.cc:90: undefined reference to `XInternAtom'
/home/bsanders/Downloads/exult-1.4.9rc1/xdrag.cc:91: undefined reference to `XInternAtom'
/home/bsanders/Downloads/exult-1.4.9rc1/xdrag.cc:93: undefined reference to `XInternAtom'
xdrag.o:/home/bsanders/Downloads/exult-1.4.9rc1/xdrag.cc:94: more undefined references to `XInternAtom' follow
xdrag.o: In function `Xdnd::client_msg(XClientMessageEvent&)':
/home/bsanders/Downloads/exult-1.4.9rc1/xdrag.cc:132: undefined reference to `XGetAtomName'
/home/bsanders/Downloads/exult-1.4.9rc1/xdrag.cc:154: undefined reference to `XGetWindowProperty'
/home/bsanders/Downloads/exult-1.4.9rc1/xdrag.cc:190: undefined reference to `XSendEvent'
/home/bsanders/Downloads/exult-1.4.9rc1/xdrag.cc:200: undefined reference to `XConvertSelection'
xdrag.o: In function `Xdnd::select_msg(XSelectionEvent&)':
/home/bsanders/Downloads/exult-1.4.9rc1/xdrag.cc:258: undefined reference to `XGetAtomName'
/home/bsanders/Downloads/exult-1.4.9rc1/xdrag.cc:275: undefined reference to `XGetWindowProperty'
/home/bsanders/Downloads/exult-1.4.9rc1/xdrag.cc:307: undefined reference to `XFree'
xdrag.o: In function `Xdnd':
/home/bsanders/Downloads/exult-1.4.9rc1/xdrag.cc:108: undefined reference to `XChangeProperty'
/home/bsanders/Downloads/exult-1.4.9rc1/xdrag.cc:108: undefined reference to `XChangeProperty'
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make[2]: *** [exult] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/bsanders/Downloads/exult-1.4.9rc1'
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/bsanders/Downloads/exult-1.4.9rc1'
make: *** [all] Error 2
Johann

Re: Compiling on ubuntu?

Post by Johann »

Dominus
Site Admin

Post by Dominus »

This is fixed in SVN.
Maybe grab that instead of the release (or just grab configure.ac revision 6586 and replace the one from the release code with that).
--
Read the documentation and the FAQ! There is no excuse for not reading them! RTFM
Read the Rules!
We do not support Piracy/Abandonware/Warez!
bobthecowboy

Post by bobthecowboy »

Oh, good. I'll grab the snapshot... are the save games from 1.4.9rc1 forward compatible with it? I wonder why the compile worked on my desktop machine... I grabbed the same copy of Exult.
Dominus
Site Admin

Post by Dominus »

save games are forward compatible.
Desktop machine same Ubuntu flavor? Some time ago some distros changed the behavior of how x11 gets found, maybe you run an old one on your desktop?
--
Read the documentation and the FAQ! There is no excuse for not reading them! RTFM
Read the Rules!
bobthecowboy

Post by bobthecowboy »

Nope, Desktop and Laptop are both running the same standard version of Ubuntu 10.10. I suppose the laptop is more current on updates, but only by a few days or so.
Dominus
Site Admin

Post by Dominus »

Then the only other idea might be that you disabled exul studio support when you ran exults configure on the desktop machine...
--
Read the Rules!
bobthecowboy

Post by bobthecowboy »

Hmmm, according to my bash history, I just did ./configure --disable-tools, which is what I did on the laptop as well. Anyways, using SVN did solve the problem.

Out of curiosity, is there a specific bug blocking the next "release"?
Malignant Manor
Site Admin

Post by Malignant Manor »

Two major bugs are blocking it.