ATTENTION! Mac OS X users - changed paths

NOTICE: This forum is archived as read only.
Please use the Github Discussions at https://github.com/exult/exult/discussions
Forum rules
NOTICE: This forum is archived as read only.
Please use the Github Discussions at https://github.com/exult/exult/discussions
Dominus
Site Admin

ATTENTION! Mac OS X users - changed paths

Post by Dominus »

Yesterday Marzo changed the default paths Exult uses on OS X.
Details are in the docs at http://exult.info/docs.php#path_config_osx
Exult no longer uses ~/.exult.

My advice is to backup and delete your ~/Library/Preferences/exult.cfg

It will automatically pick up Ultima 7 games installed to /Library/Application Support/Exult (note that this is NOT ~/Library/Application Support/Exult).
Meaning, that it will pick up
- BG in /Library/Application Support/Exult/blackgate
- SI in /Library/Application Support/Exult/serpentisle

If you put the games in there you don't need to edit ~/Library/Preferences/exult.cfg

Mods and patches will also be automatically used if put into the corresponding games folder, e.g. the Keyring mod would need to be put into /Library/Application Support/Exult/blackgate/mods.
Patches you have made or want to use also need to go to its game folder, e.g. /Library/Application Support/Exult/blackgate/patch

The data folder defaults to /Library/Application Support/Exult/data. If you put the digital music folder and the sfx files in there Exult will automatically use them for the correct game. If you have both the SoundBlaster and Roland MT32 pack in there, Exult will default to the Roland MT32 pack. If you want to use the SB pack you will need to edit exult.cfg (see http://exult.info/docs.php#wave_sfx).

Savegames are saved to ~/Library/Application Support/Exult/gamename, e.g. a Blackgate savegame will be found at ~/Library/Application Support/Exult/blackgate/exult00bg.sav, a Keyring mod game will save to ~/Library/Application Support/Exult/blackgate/mods/keyring/exult00bg.sav.

Also if you use the app bundle, Exult will default to use the data folder inside the app bundle, before looking at /Library/Application Support/Exult/data for additional data. This means that if you really want to you can store the digital music folder and the sfx files in exult.app/contents/resources/data. But be cautious, f you replace the app bundle with a newer version you might lose your music and sfx files if you do that.

This might be confusing at first but if you delete your old exult.cfg and use the new default paths you will find that it's now much easier on OS X.

Please feel free to ask for additional help here :)

Edit: updated with changed paths
--
Read the documentation and the FAQ! There is no excuse for not reading them! RTFM
Read the Rules!
We do not support Piracy/Abandonware/Warez!
monotremata

Re: ATTENTION! Mac OS X users - changed paths

Post by monotremata »

Awesome news.. This should make things a bit easier to find and keep clean hehe..
Morbius Dragon
-==(UDIC)==-
Since 1992!
monotremata

Post by monotremata »

Ooops forgot to ask..

I take it the snapshot on the download page is the newest that takes advantage of the new paths??
Morbius Dragon
-==(UDIC)==-
Since 1992!
Dominus
Site Admin

Post by Dominus »

YES!!! ;)
--
Read the documentation and the FAQ! There is no excuse for not reading them! RTFM
Read the Rules!
monotremata

Post by monotremata »

Doesnt work...

Following everything in the instructions..
Moved static, gamedat, mods, and patch for blackgate and serpentisle as well as the data folder to /Library/App Support/Exult

Moved all my savegames to their appropriate folders under ~/Library/....etc..

Moved the Exult.app to my Applications directory.

Deleted cfg file.

Fired up Exult and get the following message:
'Could not find the static data for either "The Black Gate" or "Serpent Isle". Please edit the configuration file and restart Exult.'

I moved everything back to the way it used to be and it worked.
Having moved my gamedat folders and stuff to the library I just noticed Exult created a brand new gamedat folder in .exult/blackisle.

So apparently its still using the old paths..
Morbius Dragon
-==(UDIC)==-
Since 1992!
monotremata

Post by monotremata »

Damn forgot too add again.. Just checked the date on the snapshot that was just uploaded today.. The actual dmg is dated March 08 and the Exult.app March 07.. If the paths were just tweaked yesterday, maybe the wrong snapshot got uploaded??
Morbius Dragon
-==(UDIC)==-
Since 1992!
monotremata

Post by monotremata »

Aaargh nevermind.. Mono is being an idiot again...
I guess I told it not to overwrite the older Exult-snapshot.dmg that was in my downloads folder or something hehehe.
Just redownloaded it and its working perfectly except I forgot to notice that savegames and such are saved in the ~/Library/Preferences now hehe.

I put them into ~/Library/Application Support/Exult and was wondering where they all went!

Working great so far. Im about to go close the Black Gate again just for kicks.. :)
Morbius Dragon
-==(UDIC)==-
Since 1992!
Dominus
Site Admin

Post by Dominus »

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but after some protests by people who are using Macs much longer and have some knowledge of the os x workings, we are moving the default location AGAIN.
Everything that is in ~/Library/Preferences/Exult will go into ~/Library/Application Support/Exult.
It's not yet in the sourcecode, though, so don't expect it in a snapshot yet, just so you are forewarned :)

It's "live" in the sourcecode, I'll try it out now myself and then will upload a new version!

Edit, there were some things that needed fixing but the new snapshot is on the download page
--
Read the Rules!
monotremata

Post by monotremata »

Awesome work once again Dominus!!
At least this data move is an easy one hehe!
Downloading now!!
Morbius Dragon
-==(UDIC)==-
Since 1992!
monotremata

Post by monotremata »

Only one problem! The snapshot doesnt look in ~/Library/Application Data/Exult for the data folder if it cant find it in the app itself this time.. At least over here.

Just moved my stuff to the new location and mine wont open unless the Data folder is inside the app or you actually specify its location in the cfg..
Morbius Dragon
-==(UDIC)==-
Since 1992!
monotremata

Post by monotremata »

Ok too quick to post again. Just noticed something in the Console output.

Its listing dpath=/Applications/Exult.app/Contents/MacOS/data.

But the data folder is in the Contents/Resources folder..
Morbius Dragon
-==(UDIC)==-
Since 1992!
monotremata

Post by monotremata »

Did I grab the wrong snapshot or something??

Moved the data folder to MacOS just to see if it would start..
Now Exult is still looking for my gamedata in /Library/App Support and not ~/Library/App Support.

I dont have any paths set by hand in my cfg, in fact just deleted it and restarted Exult and same deal..

Now that I think about it, the Exult.app/Contents/MacOS folder is probably the best place for data internally.. Usually the resources folder is just filled up with the icons and gui bits and pieces for an app.. Cant recall where Ive actually seen data other than this put in there before..
Morbius Dragon
-==(UDIC)==-
Since 1992!
Dominus
Site Admin

Post by Dominus »

Please read the first post again, or look at the documentation.
The games go to
/library/application support/exult

The savegames and the gamedat folder (the folder NAMED gamedat) go into ~/library/application support/exult instead of ~/library/preferences/exult.

As for the data folder in the bundle, it is at the correct location. App/contents/macos/ is ONLY for the main binary of the app, all other stuff needs to be somewhere else, mostly in /resources

I'll take a look tomorrow.
--
Read the Rules!
Dominus
Site Admin

Post by Dominus »

Yes something is wrong there. Strange. It's indeed looking at the wrong location in the bundle.

But
Only one problem! The snapshot doesnt look in ~/Library/Application Data/Exult for the data folder if it cant find it in the app itself this time
Exult will look in /Library/Application Data/Exult/data for its data, NOT ~/Library/Application Data/Exult.
That didn't change in the last snapshot, just notice the difference between /path and ~/path, ~ means the path starts in your HOME folder, just / means it starts on the root.
--
Read the Rules!
Dominus
Site Admin

Post by Dominus »

@Mono: Do you have the older snapshots I made? I'd like to know if that happened as soon as we started to change the default locations.
When I make the bundle both on my OS X 10.6 and on my 10,5 the bundle will correctly read the data from the bundle/contents/resources/data.
When I use the 10.5 bundle on 10.6 it will try to read it from bundle/contetns/macos/data...
Very strange....
--
Read the Rules!
Dominus
Site Admin

Post by Dominus »

Scratch that :)
It was probably never working at all. It only worked for me up to now because the bundle was in the source folder and there the data folder is naturally as well :)
The reason it is looking for the data folder in the bundle/contents/macos is because the way Exult works it is always looking for a data folder in the current folder, I guess.
I hope Marzo and me can fix that today/night. Otherwise I'll have to delete the snapshot since I'm going to be gone for a month :)

Edit: Marzo fixed it. I'm preparing a new snapshot. This is gonna be the last one for a month. If you experence any problems, you need to build it for yourself again.
--
Read the Rules!
monotremata

Post by monotremata »

Gotcha!! I still have the last two snapshots you put up..
It was just this one that broke..

Ill grab the new one and try it out in a bit!
Morbius Dragon
-==(UDIC)==-
Since 1992!
Dominus
Site Admin

Post by Dominus »

Thanks!
But the new one is not yet online :)
I had to disable the mt32emu because that could make Exult segfault and I'd rather have snapshot onlne that doesn't do that when I can't update it for a month.
--
Read the Rules!
Dominus
Site Admin

Post by Dominus »

In fact I will not be able to provide a working snapshot.
Something is going horribly wrong at the moment. So I pulled the previous snapshot and will also write this in the snapshot thread.
--
Read the Rules!
monotremata

Post by monotremata »

Eeeeeek!
Well that doesnt sound good! I was just getting to like that MT32 sound too.

No worries, with all the ground youve made just this last week or two, Im sure we can wait a bit until you return hehe..
Exult still compiles just fine I just dont have the magic to make it static or UB yet...

(kicks himself for not going and getting his leopard disc back last night)
Morbius Dragon
-==(UDIC)==-
Since 1992!
Dominus
Site Admin

Post by Dominus »

I found the problem and will probably be able to upload a snapshot after all.
rev 6269 broke Exult for OS X, so you will run into the same problem with current SVN.
--
Read the Rules!
Dominus
Site Admin

Post by Dominus »

Got it to compile and working now. Enjoy, see you in a month :)
--
Read the Rules!
monotremata

Post by monotremata »

Yay!! I just updated my source to rev 6275 about an hour ago..
Compiling just finished but Im gonna go grab yours instead!!
Morbius Dragon
-==(UDIC)==-
Since 1992!
monotremata

Post by monotremata »

Hmm neither mine or this one is working for me...
I get no music on the Exult intro screen, and going to either game and selecting journey onward crashes it. It starts to load your savegame up but then bam all gone..

I removed my old savegames and gamedat folder and let Exult start from scratch.. Right after making a new character in Black Gate and hitting Journey Onward, again crash landing...

This was both with your snapshot and the one I compiled myself, although on mine I still got all the music playing when I fired up Exult... The snapshot was dead silent..
Morbius Dragon
-==(UDIC)==-
Since 1992!
monotremata

Post by monotremata »

Well this is wierd. I just went back and tried two snapshots I have that I downloaded on the 10th.. (that were working beautifully once I got my path idiocy straightened out)

Now both of those are magically trying to find the data path in Exult.app/Contents/MacOS just like the one yesterday did!
Morbius Dragon
-==(UDIC)==-
Since 1992!
Dominus
Site Admin

Post by Dominus »

Before using my snapshot, delete the gamedat folder again. With how that rev. broke exult, games started with that will break my snapsot when you journey onward (probably because not everything was written to it). My snapshot is based on the latest revision with only the changes of the rev I mentioned reversed. No idea why music stopped working :(
so trash your compile (that needs fixing) and trash the gamedat folder again and then try my snapshot...
--
Read the Rules!
Dominus
Site Admin

Post by Dominus »

As for thoes earlier snapshots, this doesn't surprise me. The thing that was not fully working was already not fully working back then.
--
Read the Rules!
monotremata

Post by monotremata »

Ok got the latest one running now..
Didnt have to delete the gamedat folders or anything..

I noticed while watching the console it was not finding the exult_bg.flx file which was still inside the data folder in the .app itself.
I have the music files and the ogg stuff in the /Library/App Support/Exult/data folder and I guess it was looking there for everything.
I copied the flx files from the app to the directory in the Library and now I just picked up my game at the end of the Black Gate!

Music's working again too.. For some reason that first time it didnt work, but I manually changed the config file to use the ogg's since I couldnt get into the game to change the options, and now it works perfect..
Morbius Dragon
-==(UDIC)==-
Since 1992!
MeddlingMonk

Post by MeddlingMonk »

All of these changes played he// with my attempts to fix my mysteriously borked exult.cfg (I ended up just waiting for the dust to settle and then redoing the config) but it's good all this has happened. It's been a long time since there's been this much activity.
monotremata

Post by monotremata »

Haha I hear ya!! If I wasnt so quick to post and then go retest stuff maybe the threads wouldnt get out of control and look like a mess hehe.
Im glad after my 4-5 years of knowing about Exult, the Mac version has made such huge jumps in the last couple of weeks.
Of course go figure nowadays my Mac's too old and slow to keep up and Im doing most of my stuff on a win7 laptop...
Morbius Dragon
-==(UDIC)==-
Since 1992!
Dominus
Site Admin

Post by Dominus »

Hmm, can you confirm problems with the snapshit and crashing on opening containers and/or pressing i for the Avatars inventory?
--
Read the Rules!
monotremata

Post by monotremata »

No crashes here.. Just fired it up and tried both Black Gate and SI.. Black Gate I didnt have any containers near me to try so I just hit I and then opened my backpack..

In SI using both I and opening the couple bags/chests that were near me at the end worked also..

Man I see what you were saying before about my sound effects not being installed right! Since the music always worked I had assumed it did but playing through just now fairly loudly (my mac is my recording workstation so it goes through my mixer and monitoring system hehe) I finally noticed the damn sound effects now that I got the paths all correct! I actually heard a fountains water running just now! :D

Seems to work ok for me!
Morbius Dragon
-==(UDIC)==-
Since 1992!