Bypassing Thoxa

NOTICE: This forum is archived as read only.
Please use the Github Discussions at https://github.com/exult/exult/discussions
Forum rules
NOTICE: This forum is archived as read only.
Please use the Github Discussions at https://github.com/exult/exult/discussions
Samatar

Bypassing Thoxa

Post by Samatar »

Has anyone else experienced the bug right at the beginning of SI (bypassing the Thoxa interaction)? Did this also occur in the originla game or is it an Exult thing?
wjp
Site Admin

Re: Bypassing Thoxa

Post by wjp »

Which bug is that?
Achenar

Post by Achenar »

I noticed in Exult you can "run" way past the intended location of the Thoxa encounter before it eventually kicks in (presumably you could get all the way down to the Monitor city wall, but I didn't attempt it) ...

The original (from memory) forces the Thoxa sequence to kick in just after the boulder.
Samatar

Post by Samatar »

If you run past the point where thoxa appears and keep going, you can completely bypass the interaction with her. If you caome back later the usual sequence will begin, albeit with the rest of your party around you. Obviously if you do this you don't get the hourglass so you can't ressurect your party members. The game also goes a bit haywire for a moment, there is some ocean where the land is supposed to be and a staircase leading onto the mountains; also there is an infinity bow that you can collect if you are fast enough, once the storm passes everything returns to normal. It doesn't cause any permanent problems so you can try it out if you like.

While on the subject of mildly amusing bugs, I also discovered today that Yurel will continue to give me purple spheres as long as I can keep giving him cheese. You can't do anything with the extras though.
Garrett

Post by Garrett »

No, you're a little confused. The Infinity Bow is on the first shore. When you are inevitably hit by the lightning it seamlessly teleports you to the REAL shore slightly over to the right, and THAT is where Thoxa is. The only point to bypassing her is that you can also skip the copy-protection, it's completely unrelated to the Infinity Bow.

The original game also supported this to an extent with the mountain stairwell--when you go to get the Infinity Bow turn a hard right and go up the stairs, when you're teleported you'll end up on the mountains right beside Monitor's parapets. I think you should be able to create a stairwell down from there with gear out of your backpack, but I haven't tested it.
Samatar

Post by Samatar »

I don't think I was confused but I am now... the first shore?? All I know is that you can collect the infinity bow and it doesn't dissapear with the rest of my belongings... and as far as I know that only way to get it is by going past the point where Thoxa appears before the test is over, so it is related to bypassing Thoxa in the sense that you have to bypass Thoxa to get it, isn't that correct? Or is there another way to get it after the Thoxa interaction?
Garrett

Post by Garrett »

Sorry, what I mean is that they're both accessed through the same way incidentlaly, you don't need to do the one to do the other.

If you look at the teleport map there's more than one shoreline. When you see the lightning screw up your gear what you don't see is that it also teleports you seamlessly across to the real shore, the one connected to the mainland. Since the fake shore is unfinished the parts where you weren't meant to get look odd until you get teleported, it's not actually a glitch in the graphics.

This also explains why another exploit doesn't work. Due to the game's limitations the lightning can't destroy an item that isn't onscreen, which means you theoretically should be able to dump your gear outside the storm area and come back for it. However when you go back it's gone, because any undeleted items are actually over on the fake shore. The fake shore is probably solely for anti-cheating purposes (overlooking the fact it's a cheat in itself of course).

Even weirder, one time through on 1.2 I managed to get past Thoxa *after* relocating to the real shore, even though I wasn't yet past the part where her cuscene initiates. Go figure. :)

Does that help? :)

The worst part about Yurel taking additional cheese is that there's TWO pieces in the dungeon, so it's very easy to end up giving him both, as I also did my first time through. :)
Samatar

Post by Samatar »

Oh OK. I don't have a teleport map but I understand what you mean now. Another strange thing that happened to me when I went back to get the hourglass from Thoxa... I asked all my party members to leave because I wanted to see if anything would happen if they got in the way of the battle between Thoxa and the other monk whos name eludes me for now (nothing did). Anyway after the battle I found Iolo standing in the railing of the old jetty/dock, unable to get down. Still not sure why that one happened.
Dupre

Post by Dupre »

"I don't have a teleport map"

Yes you do. Just hit F3 to bring it up. You will see the two '
fake' shorelines plus the real shoreline. You can jump around anywhere on the map to explore. What Garret said about it set up for anti-cheating makes sence.
Soule

Post by Soule »

Yep Garret is correct.

I used to wonder how Origin got over the cheat method when you leave your items on the floor before venturing into the storm. I thought they just removed your items from your inventory.

Apparently they do remove the relevant items if you venture into the storm with them. However if you left them on the shore, they will be on the fake shore and you can retrieve them later after Thoxa.

That's how I kept the spell book!