fun Ultima questions

NOTICE: This forum is archived as read only.
Please use the Github Discussions at https://github.com/exult/exult/discussions
Forum rules
NOTICE: This forum is archived as read only.
Please use the Github Discussions at https://github.com/exult/exult/discussions
Vladimyr

fun Ultima questions

Post by Vladimyr »

1. What is your favorite Ultima moment in part 1 and part 2?

2. What is your favorite quality in part 1 that isn't in part 2 and vice versa?

3. Who is your favorite of Avatar's companions in part 1 and part 2, and least favorite.

4. Who is your favorite NPC in part 1 and part 2 and least favorite.

5. What is your favorite/least favorite city in part 1 and part 2.

6. If you lived to the Hierophants...would you be chaos or order?

7. If you really were the Avatar in the situations in the game what would you have done differently that you're not allowed to do in the game.
marzo
Site Admin

Re: fun Ultima questions

Post by marzo »

1. Meeting LB in a certain hidden room in the mountains of Yew (BG), a sign in Furnace saying "Stop Cheating" (SI).
2. BG: Freedom to look around and explore. SI: More narrowly focused and interesting storyline.
3. Favorites: Jaana (BG), Boydon (SI). Least favorites: Katrina (BG), Wilfred (SI), as both are useless and not that "cool".
4. Favorites: Lasher (BG), Skyrise (SI). Least favorites: None, really.
5. Favorites: Serpents Hold (BG) and Monk Isle (SI). Least Favorites: Emp village (BG) and Gwani village (SI).
6. Balance, of course.
7. I don't rightly know off the top pf my head.
------
Marzo Sette Torres Junior
aka Geometrodynamic Dragon
[url=http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html]How To Ask Questions The Smart Way[/url]
Dominus
Site Admin

Post by Dominus »

7. In BG I'd put some moves on my love interest, more like in SI :)
--
Read the documentation and the FAQ! There is no excuse for not reading them! RTFM
Read the Rules!
We do not support Piracy/Abandonware/Warez!
Donfrow

Post by Donfrow »

7. Talk to NPC's and get more responses to game changing events (mainly in SI). Noone in Fawn even cares about the political happenings of Marsten in Monitor, or your trip to Moonshade and your new found teleportation ability...
TdI

Post by TdI »

1. walking into the tavern in Britain at night with people walking around, seating themselves at a table, shouting for food and eating, the waitresses serving food & drinks, the band "playing".... and getting the "Ultima-Feel", that this world is alive.

2. sailing in SI. The "temperature effects" and needing to dress up in BG

3. Favorites: Dupre (BG), Iolo (SI)
least favorites: dunno

4. Favorites: Nicodemus, Kissme (BG), Mortegro (SI)
least favorites: Jester (BG), Mage Lord (SI)... what a pussy, jesus christ. Makes me wanna kick him in the nuts!!! (sorry, I've been watching South Park just now)

5. Favorites: Britain, Trinsic, Moonglow, Skara Brae (BG) (can't make up my mind), Moonshade (SI),
Least Favorite: New Magincia (BG) just dumb farmers and sheep... like the pirates say - boooring

6. I'm afraid I would be chaos, but judging from the followers, I guess I'd prefer to be order.

7. Kill all Fellowship members, kill Lord British and then kill of every other living thing in the world.
Oh wait... you can actually do that. Ultima VII is such a great game. :)
WWWWolf

Post by WWWWolf »

BG: Perhaps the usual answer here would be Seeing It All Actually Work. Clouds moving, weather changing, people closing the windows I opened...
SI: Too many to count, actually, so many that I have to scrape the foam off the surface and focus on stupid injokes: Probably finding the book about certain very practical uses of U7BG's music. And Test of Purity. =)

BG: More freedom to go where the heck I want, more or less right from the beginning.
SI: Has an actual story and a complex plot, lots and lots and lots of dialogue. Characters are deeper and, by all accounts, there's History around. And the serpent path is much cooler than Mark/Recall. =)

Favourites:
BG: Tseramed and Jaana. Tseramed... well, what a fascinating guy with fascinating tales and not competely useless with bow either. Jaana's practical, though. "Look, I'm bleeding here and here and here and here, could you zap me with that amazing healing spell again, please please?" =)
SI: Petra. Simply because I wanted to make a depressed person happier by giving them another purpose. =)

Least favourite:
BG: I'm not really sure here - I usually end up picking pretty much the same characters over and over again so I don't know if some of the guys I don't pick are worse than the ones I've tried...
SI: Well, at least I have a clear winner here: Wilfred. Ye gods what a jerk.

Favourites:
BG: Horance. Now *here's* a villain that oozes soul-crushing evil. =)
SI: Perhaps I'm a bit weird, but there was something in meeting the Phoenix that touched me. A small bit of cheerful positivity, hopefulness in middle of a complex, mad world.

Least favourite: I don't know, a lot of people in these games are *successfully* annoying. Reasonably antagonistic and all. =)

Favourite:
BG: Moonglow; I've always liked nice wooded areas. Yew is a bit *too* wooded though. =)
SI: Probably Fawn - beautiful architecture and all.

Least favourite:
BG: I don't know. Probably Spektran and Meditation Retreat; tiny places with not really all that much to do.
SI: That... giant... empty... uninspiring... maze thing... near end... argh. So horrible that I can't even remember its name.

Chaos. No question about it. But of course, that's just a matter of principle and I'm more of an actual supporter of both ways. Balance is important. =)

Hand the bloody Notebook to LB. The game would have gotten a much swifter end. See you in Ultima VII Part 1.5: Avatar Tries to Expedite the Council's Bureaucratic Nightmare to Defeat the Fellowship. =)
- Weyfour WWWWolf, a lupine technomancer from the cold north
[a.k.a.: Hoki-Aamrel the Cherry-Red Dragon -==(UDIC)==- ]
Skutarth (not logged in)

Post by Skutarth (not logged in) »

7. Drugs. Everybody wins with drugs.

http://it-he.org/u7_drugs.htm
alagner

Post by alagner »

1. Meeting LB in a certain hidden room in the mountains of Yew

any coordinates? What is he doin' there? That's the one I've never discovered...
Dominus
Site Admin

Post by Dominus »

just teleport around the mountains there and you will meet him (or go into a cave in that area, so the "roof"(mountaintop) vanishes and use the scroll map feature to see where he is hiding. He's waiting for YOU!
--
Read the documentation and the FAQ! There is no excuse for not reading them! RTFM
Read the Rules!
We do not support Piracy/Abandonware/Warez!
Andrea B Previtera

Post by Andrea B Previtera »

> 1. What is your favorite Ultima moment in part 1 and part 2

Indeed when you first leave Trinsic in U7. The world opens wide with no map transitions and you suddenly feel that you're going to experience something different, something you've never experienced before.

> 2. What is your favorite quality in part 1 that isn't in part 2 and vice
> versa?

Obviously, ship travel. Total freedom of exploration.

> 3. Who is your favorite of Avatar's companions in part 1 and part 2, and
> least favorite.

I never had real preferences. When I first discovered the art of cheating I loved going around with temporary npcs as companions, expecially people from the various secret Fellowship underground churches. I had the feeling I was offering them the life they would never live otherwise (being volatile and spawned only for the purpose of fighting and dying)

> 4. Who is your favorite NPC in part 1 and part 2 and least favorite.

In U7 I love Thad (the guy in black who lives in the wilderness and fights to free his sister from the Fellowship plagarism). In SI, my preference goes indeed to Thoxa. She looks sad, powerful and sensitive and you never get to know much about her.

> 7. If you really were the Avatar in the situations in the game what would
> you have done differently that you're not allowed to do in the game.

Well, for once I'd never had all this haste to return to Earth once done with saving the world :D
alagner

Post by alagner »

Dominus, I tried this and I cannot find it, I searched evey mountain from those on both sides Yew to those sorrounding Britain in the north. Should I be near to make him appear there [like in case of monsters] or is he a "fixed" npc?

BTW - by teleporting around I found a strange small room [got no idea how to reach normally], with a carpet, mirrors and lights inside. When I teleported in, lightning from the walls started striking... I never thought that cheating might lead to such areas... BTW - is there any way to complete the maze in the test of truth [I mean, ignoring the right talisman and just going through it], as well as some other ones? Because some of them seem really difficult and complex.

But, answering the questions:

1. In BG - a teleport in dungeons that places you inside a small tower, completely locked from outside, Selwyns Tower afair (btw - does it have anything to do with previous Utlimas or its just there?). In SI - nicely animated training in Monitor.

2. BG - complete freedom. SI - plot, Serpent Bond spell.

3. Shamino - most. Least - Julia or Katrina, as I found most useless, and Tsermed - 'cause I never liked his portrait ;) In SI - I don't really know, I liked them all.

4. Demon from Black Sword in p1. Beatrix in p2

5. I like Moonglow and Fawn. About disliking ones...New Magincia and this weird location that appears when entering Gorlab Swamp.

6. Chaos...

7. Give the Wand to one of my companions to destroy the Gate after my passing it.
marzo
Site Admin

Post by marzo »

I tried this and I cannot find it, I searched evey mountain from those on both sides Yew to those sorrounding Britain in the north.
The hex coordinates are (209,407,0). You will be greeted by an onslaught of lightning and fire and meet LB there.
BTW - is there any way to complete the maze in the test of truth [I mean, ignoring the right talisman and just going through it], as well as some other ones?
Yes and no. You can walk all through it, but you can't "complete" it unless you go to the correct talisman. Walking through it is difficult, with all the invisible barriers and hidden teleports and traps here and there, but it can be done.
------
Marzo Sette Torres Junior
aka Geometrodynamic Dragon
[url=http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html]How To Ask Questions The Smart Way[/url]
alagner

Post by alagner »

Funny, I found this room in while playing with Exult, that's the small one described above, and LB does not seem to appear, only the lightning bolts are striking, while when playnig orginial with Dosbox he does appear and attack me... Weird.

Marzo, I know that finishing the quest equals picking up the right talisman, but I'm just whether the labirynth works - as everytime I tried to go through it ended in casting "Help" and teleporting, because I was stuck beetween these invisible walls.
Anjzi

Post by Anjzi »

1. What is your favorite Ultima moment in part 1 and part 2?:
When I realized I could make houses out of crates and planks stolen from various places(the pirate hideout in the far north for instance).
I created a fort on the island just east of the Trinsic docks.

2. What is your favorite quality in part 1 that isn't in part 2 and vice versa?
I love the relatively upbeat feel of Part 1, I like that it doesn't feel as terribly apocalyptic as Part 2.
I love the portraits and paperdolls in Part 2. I love the little jobs(like picking eggs) in Part 1 and wish they were in Part 2.

3. Who is your favorite of Avatar's companions in part 1 and part 2, and least favorite.:
Ironically, I loved Selena and wanted badly to keep her in my party. I was convinced she wasn't really a bad girl, just mixed up in the wrong crowd.
I blame her sister Lydia, the tattoo artist in Monitor for corrupting her anyway.
Spark I hated the most, Oddly I liked Katrina a lot, though most people seem to think she was terrible. In my mind, she was the played the part of the Avatar's wife more than once.

4. Who is your favorite NPC in part 1 and part 2 and least favorite.
Erstam, Batlin, Rudyom are some favourites. As well as the talking horse and Sherry.
Batlin is also a hated character though, so are the Trinsic Fellowship leaders. And basically all of the racist anti-gargoyle people.

5. What is your favorite/least favorite city in part 1 and part 2.

I like the Emp village but wish they had a shop there maybe, where you could at least buy Silverleaf or something.
Yew is one of my favourite towns. Buccaneers Den is probably my most favourite place.
There should have definitely been more towns in Serpent Isle. Much more.
I can't think of any towns there that I really liked, besides maybe Moonshade.

6. If you lived to the Hierophants...would you be chaos or order?
Chaos.

7. If you really were the Avatar in the situations in the game what would you have done differently that you're not allowed to do in the game.
I would have skipped the main quest and made the entire game into sandbox full of sub-quests(some more complicated, and more important than others) with out any real push to complete the game.
I would basically make the game infinitely replay-able(to a degree it already is!) until you just got bored.
Lord British's Pet Sock
Trevor_Some

Post by Trevor_Some »

Hi,

/////////
1. What is your favorite Ultima moment in part 1 and part 2?:
When I realized I could make houses out of crates and planks stolen from various places(the pirate hideout in the far north for instance).
I created a fort on the island just east of the Trinsic docks.
////////

Thats cool! Could you please make a screenshot of it? I always wanted to see something like this in BG! :)

Thanks,

Trev