SIfixes New Game Loads Quick Save?

NOTICE: This forum is archived as read only.
Please use the Github Discussions at https://github.com/exult/exult/discussions
Forum rules
NOTICE: This forum is archived as read only.
Please use the Github Discussions at https://github.com/exult/exult/discussions
Knight Captain

SIfixes New Game Loads Quick Save?

Post by Knight Captain »

As part of poking around the flags and such I'd like to start a new game using the SIfixes mod. When I choose the Start New Game option I get the prompts for the Name and Portrait, but Journey Onward seems to load the Quick Save instead.

Can anyone else recreate this issue?
Knight Captain

Re: SIfixes New Game Loads Quick Save?

Post by Knight Captain »

Plain old SI starts a new game correctly.
Dominus
Site Admin

Post by Dominus »

Hmm, works for me. Maybe your gamedat folder is read only or somehow access rights have been altered?
--
Read the documentation and the FAQ! There is no excuse for not reading them! RTFM
Read the Rules!
We do not support Piracy/Abandonware/Warez!
Knight Captain

Post by Knight Captain »

The path being:
C:\Users\Owner\AppData\Local\Exult\serpentisle\mods\sifixes\gamedat
Correct?

That shows inherited permissions for Full Control for my user account.
Dominus
Site Admin

Post by Dominus »

Yes that should be it. Delete that and try again.
--
Read the documentation and the FAQ! There is no excuse for not reading them! RTFM
Read the Rules!
Knight Captain

Post by Knight Captain »

Deleting that gamedat folder does not fix the issue, nor deleting both gamedat and moving the saves folder outside of the AppData folder.
Knight Captain

Post by Knight Captain »

My further attempts at playing with a patch have now caused this problem in the main non-SIfixes SI. I was trying to get the death of Shmed to set Global Flag 123, as though we recovered fishnet stockings from a backpack on his corpse (which I have yet to figure out how to add).

After I set Shmed's NPC75 to use this custom usecode from the SI patch folder and Saved All in ES, each time I restarted the game it would go back to where I saved the game at the time. Each resave in ES seems to cause the Start New Game function to load that instead of the correct behavior.

This is the code I was trying. It looks like he doesn't finish dying so the NPC Dead flag does not get set, he's also stuck in Move2Sched.

Code: Select all

#game "serpentisle" //This should be set elsewhere in larger patches.

enum quickdirty //just needed something here to allow compiling
{
	DEAD = 4, //constants.uc
    //SHMED = -75,
	FOUND_FISHNETS = 0x7B //123, si_flags.uc might need to be updated
};

void Shmed object#(0x44b) () //NPC75

{	
    if (get_item_flag(DEAD)) //If Shmed is dead...  to simplify from constants.uc
		gflags[FOUND_FISHNETS] = true; //Set global flag to ask about fishnet stockings.
    else Shmed.original(); //He's his usual self.
}
Knight Captain

Post by Knight Captain »

Ah, the new Avatar name applies, so it is treating it as a new game. Now how can I roll this back short of blasting my entire installation?
Dominus
Site Admin

Post by Dominus »

That is a problem with saving in ES. ES saves every change in the patch folder and thst is what gets loaded when you start a new game. Your whole progress up to the moment you edited with ES.
Since you might be fine with just usecode changes, it might bd enough to nuke your patch folder except for your custom usecode (but back it up).

The proper way to edit a game with ES is to start a new game with the edit command line. So it goes right away into edit mode.
--
Read the Rules!
Knight Captain

Post by Knight Captain »

Looks like renaming initgame.dat to initgame.old or removing it from the patch directory fixes this, same for the mod folder.

How do I start a new game with the edit command line? From checking the ES doc it isn't obvious to my Friday afternoon mind.
http://exult.info/studio.php#command_line
Dale

Post by Dale »

Dominus.. I think that response also helps me out with one of my dead-ends from a few years ago. I think I wasn't really understanding the difference between a patch and a mod. Thanks!

I also struggled with the command lines, so I am no help there.
Dominus
Site Admin

Post by Dominus »

Knight: exult.exe --edit and then start a new game as usual. ES will start automatically once the game starts.
Next start, DON'T start a new game but use "exult.exe --si --nomenu --edit" (or different game pointer, see http://exult.info/docs.php#command_line)

Dale: there really isn't a difference between a mod and a patch, except that a patch affects all games you start and a mod is started via the menu. All patches can be mods (by adding a modname.cfg and moving the patch to /mods/modname) and all mods can be patches by moving the mod contentds to /patch.
--
Read the Rules!
marzo
Site Admin

Post by marzo »

Note that the contents of the "global" patch dir do not affect mods.
------
Marzo Sette Torres Junior
aka Geometrodynamic Dragon
[url=http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html]How To Ask Questions The Smart Way[/url]