Ultima VII: The Feudal Lands Alpha 0.1

NOTICE: This forum is archived as read only.
Please use the Github Discussions at https://github.com/exult/exult/discussions
Forum rules
NOTICE: This forum is archived as read only.
Please use the Github Discussions at https://github.com/exult/exult/discussions
Wizardry Dragon

Re: Ultima VII: The Feudal Lands Alpha 0.1

Post by Wizardry Dragon »

> Since SERPENT ISLE is installed in another directory (C:\Exult\ULTIMA7 and C:\Exult\SERPENT), do I have to install TFL there as well...?

Not as is, no. Im not sure how we'll handle it when we start redoing SI, to be honest, but for now, just installing it to the BG dir should make it work properly.

Cheers, Wizardry Dragon
Lead Designer, Ultima VII: The Feudal Lands
www.thefeudallands.ca
Cheers, Wizardry Dragon
www.thefeudallands.ca
sio

Post by sio »

Is there another place I can find a pocketwatch?
Peter Olafson

Post by Peter Olafson »

A question.

As mentioned elsewhere, I'm working on a walkthrough of TCU. It also covers the principal Exult mods. I know this one's still in an early state, but wonder if there's enough already in here, content-wise, to begin a write-up. :)

With thanks,

Peter
marzo
Site Admin

Post by marzo »

Right now, most of the new content is either from the Keyring mod, inaccessible without using map teleport cheat or not yet completely operational.
------
Marzo Sette Torres Junior
aka Geometrodynamic Dragon
[url=http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html]How To Ask Questions The Smart Way[/url]
Wizardry Dragon

There will be some beginning content soon. I'm not going to give an exact date, because my schedule is insolvent and busy, but I've got something of some preview quests that will be in the next release.

Cheers, Wizardry Dragon
www.thefeudallands.ca
Cheers, Wizardry Dragon
www.thefeudallands.ca
Achile Dragon

Post by Achile Dragon »

I have found a partial workaround for the Black Sword trouble:

Global Flag to set (after you've try to forge the black sword)

815, 818, 819, 820, 822, 823, 827, 848

I miss something, it's seem that arcardion refuse to bond with me and tell me to put the gem and the blank sword in my hand even I had in my hand.

Something tell me that I miss some NPC flag
Der

Post by Der »

WTF? I downloaded the last TFL patch and installed it on the last Exult snapshot, and still can't see a change. I tried selecting Start New Game on both BG and SI, and started in the same point as on the original games. Tried using Ctrl+Alt+T, and got a message saying "Map not found".
Fahed Al Daye

Post by Fahed Al Daye »

I am unable to get the game running. I installed it at the default value c:\Ultima7, now what? What do I do? I installed the original Ultima 7 there too but I all I get is blackgate and forge of virtue. Nothing else. How do I get the game to be detected in Exult and to work? Can someone please give me step by step configuring it work? Thanks in advance.
marzo
Site Admin

Post by marzo »

Assuming that U7 is installed in "C:\Ultima7": there should be a directory called "STATIC" at "C:\Ultima7\STATIC". TFL is correctly installed if there is a directory "C:\Ultima7\mods", and inside this directory is the "tfl" directory and the "tfl.cfg" file.

Now, a recommendation: avoid installing Exult and U7 in the same dir, this could lead to trouble. Best would be to install Exult to (say) "C:\Ultima7" and U7 to "C:\Ultima7\U7" (or "C:\Exult" and "C:\Exult\Ultima7", or whatever).

Fahed: reading the documentation usually works.
------
[url=http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html]How To Ask Questions The Smart Way[/url]
Fahed Al Daye

Post by Fahed Al Daye »

I know how to install Exult, I have installed Exult at program files and Ultima 7 in C:\Ultima7. So what you are saying inside Ultima7\static is where I should the folder mods then?
Fahed Al Daye

Post by Fahed Al Daye »

I have C:\Ultima7\mods this configured and inside the folder mods is a tfl and tlf.cfg, but nothing happens when I play the game. All I get is still Forge of Virtue and Black Gate and there is no indication of the expansion what soever. How do I get the expansion to work and who do I need to talk to or where do I need to go to reach the expansion, thanks in advance?
marzo
Site Admin

Post by marzo »

Just to be sure: you are using the Exult snapshot, correct?

If so, given that it seems to be setup correctly, you should see a "show mods" button for BG in the main Exult menu, and this button allows you to select TFL. You should see a brand new TFL intro screen if everything is correctly configured.

Just to make sure, this is a skeleton of how the file structure should look:

Code: Select all

C:\
  +--- Ultima7
    +--- Mods
      +--- tfl
      +--- tfl.cfg
    +--- Static
      +--- (static files)
------
Fahed Al Daye

Post by Fahed Al Daye »

I got it working! The second I saw that gypsies get her cats on the table and arrange and the fact I cannot pick up the cards but only her can pickup the cards and the fact you changed the sound of the inventory opening, etc the fact my desire for an Ultima 7 Construction Set have reached a climax that no sex in the world could ever give me in existence.

I need an Ultima 7 Construction Set SOOOO BADLY it hurts my body and ache my muscles, as soon as my cash is coming I am going to go as far as 10,000 USA to pay a programmer to make it happen. You will see, I will make it happen. One it happens I will uninstall every other PC game from my HD and this will be only the thing I will be using until I gain white hair and die. I will make games and games and games and games and games and games and games and games and games and games using Ultima 7 engineand that is all I will do. I will sell the product so I can infest it worse than any virus in existence, I want to flood the entire network with Ultima 7 engine...I...I desire it so badly to be the ONLY engine....ever for games. * Sigh * Funny thing is, it is like a food that I will never get tired of eating...I will look forward for a the next 1,234,587,123th new title game that uses Ultima 7 engine.!
marzo
Site Admin

Post by marzo »

Fahed: I am warning you, any further posts you make in this or any other thread about this subject ("Ultima 7 Construction Set") will be deleted. If you don't want to use Exult Studio and UCC (which are what was used to make TFL), then be quiet about it.
------
Der

Post by Der »

There isn't a "Static" directory in my Exult folder. What do I do?
marzo
Site Admin

Post by marzo »

It should be in your U7 folder, not in your Exult folder.
------
Der

Post by Der »

Oh, right. It's right there. Still can't access the mod's features and maps, though.
Malignant Manor
Site Admin

Post by Malignant Manor »

Are you using the snapshot version of Exult? If using the snapshot, there should be a "Show Mods" under the Ultima 7 game text.
Der

Post by Der »

Yep, I am. No, there isn't.

Should I try copying the files from the RAR file, rather than using the installer?
Malignant Manor
Site Admin

I just tested using this installer and as long as you tell it the path to the ultima 7 folder that Exult is setup to use, it should work. If not, just manually install it from the rar.
Wizardry Dragon

Specifically, the engine will look for a mods configuration file in a certain location, make sure you're pointing the installer to the ULTIMA7 directory and not SERPENT ISLE or EXULT, and it will work fine, so long as the exult paths are properly set up as well.

The #1 problem people are having with the installer is installing it to the Exult or SI directories, instead of U7. Please make sure you haven't.

If the problem persists, and you're sure you have the proper install path, you can make your own mods configuration, though come to think of it Im not sure it's documented how. I'll post again when I'm not at work about it, and probably tack up some more FAQs about it on the TFL site.

Cheers, Wizardry Dragon
www.thefeudallands.ca
Cheers, Wizardry Dragon
www.thefeudallands.ca
Der

Post by Der »

...Oh. So the "Ultima7" directory means the BG directory, not Exult? ._.

Why not be more specific in the installer? I mean... BG isn't the whole U7, you know.

Anyway, thanks for your help.
Fahed Al Daye

Post by Fahed Al Daye »

I want to skip exploring britannia etc because I have played this game soooo much like over 50 times, so can someone tell me exactly where can I explore Feudal lands, where is it located? Thanks in advance
Wizardry Dragon

Exult is not Ultima VII, its an engine, and given the Exult installer uses the same terminology, I felt it would be best to be consistent.

Cheers, Wizardry Dragon
www.thefeudallands.ca
Cheers, Wizardry Dragon
www.thefeudallands.ca
Malignant Manor
Site Admin

The installer also says, "Please specify the location of your Ultima VII: The Black Gate directory." Reading Marzo's posts should have made it obvious too. Also, why the heck wouldn't people say "Ultima 7" instead of "Exult".
Malignant Manor
Site Admin

Oops, it should read "would".
Wizardry Dragon

Fahed: There will be a quest to take you to the new lands, but it is not yet implemented. Start the game, and then do the gypsy intro - you will need the virtue settings that this sets, for things to work properly (otherwise you will get some very odd responses from the new NPCs, and the NPCs with rewritten conversatons). Then when it teleports you to Britannia, you can interact with the Britannian end of the new NPCs by talking to Zuriel to start the quests (more information about that in Marzo's keyring mod thread), or you can switch maps until you're in the Feudal Lands one.

The reason why I have delayed on the release is I want the next alpha release to contain the intro quest for TFL, and it's proving a little troublesome (and my work schedule has been cutting into what time I have.) Originally I thought just to fix the bugs in the orignal Alpha and then release the fixed version, but since Ive had so much enthusiasm about people wanting to play the new Feudal Lands and explore, interact, and so forth, I've decided that I want to implement the beginning quest before I release the next version.

Cheers, Wizardry Dragon
www.thefeudallands.ca
Cheers, Wizardry Dragon
www.thefeudallands.ca
Fahed Al Daye

Post by Fahed Al Daye »

You said I need to talk to Zuriel. Where is he located? Thanks in advance.
marzo
Site Admin

Post by marzo »

You said I need to talk to Zuriel. Where is he located?
You know, the text immediately after his recommendation was "(more information about that in Marzo's keyring mod thread)". A slight suggestion that, maybe, reading the thread could help; or that, say, the Keyring readme file might give the answer. The name is actually "Zauriel", BTW; Wizardry misspelled it above.
------
Der

Post by Der »

"Exult is not Ultima VII, its an engine"

I know.

"The Exult installer uses the same terminology"

The Exult installer asks me to specify the directories for The Black Gate and Serpent Isle, not "Ultima 7" and Serpent Isle.

"Why the heck would people say "Ultima 7" instead of "Exult"

Because asking for the "Ultima 7" directory makes it sound like it's asking for a folder containing the whole game (not just TBG), and Exult is the only folder that meets that requirement (assuming that you copied the TBG and SI files into the Exult folder)?
marzo
Site Admin

Post by marzo »

Because asking for the "Ultima 7" directory makes it sound like it's asking for a folder containing the whole game (not just TBG),
If you had paid slightly more attention to foody's query, to which I was replying, you would have seen this:
[...]I have installed Exult at program files and Ultima 7 in C:\Ultima7.
which is the answer to all your issues.
------
Wizardry Dragon

I'm going to sound blunt and entirely unsociable saying it, but I'm not programming things for people who don't have a clue, and cant read the readme, or the documentation, or ... well, you get the idea. =)

I do this in my free time, for my enjoyment, and the enjoyment of people who are into Ultima and whatnot, if you really want to get asanine about one sentence in the installer after several posts explaining what to do in the forum that have been quite clearly stated, well, you can keep talking, but you'll have to excuse me if I may not reply. I'm not terribly fond of repeating myself, or things Marzo has said a few times now.

Cheers, Wizardry Dragon
www.thefeudallands.ca
Cheers, Wizardry Dragon
www.thefeudallands.ca
Der

Post by Der »

Geez, calm down. "Why don't you make the instructions in the installer more specific" was just a suggestion so that even clueless bastards like me can install the mod, not a complain. I figured you would want the instructions in the installer to be clear for everyone, so I just gave a suggestion about how to make them better.

And I did read the instructions before posting here. But I'm sorry for not reading the whole thread before posting and for annoying you (I'm being sincere here).
Oblivious

Post by Oblivious »

""Geez, calm down. "Why don't you make the instructions in the installer more specific" was just a suggestion so that even clueless bastards like me can install the mod, not a complain. I figured you would want the instructions in the installer to be clear for everyone, so I just gave a suggestion about how to make them better.""

I second this (I'm also a clueless bastard)
Fahed Al Daye

Post by Fahed Al Daye »

I am just honored my quote is used to give you guys a lecture :D :D :D :D
Dominus
Site Admin

Post by Dominus »

Enough of this. If there are any issues with this alpha or if TFL team wants to open up a new thread.
To Der, Oblivious and Fahed: Please learn to read instructions. OR give actual advice on how to write it better, instead of just cluttering threads.

@Marzo, feel free to reopen it if you want, I just wanted to stop that bickering for now :)
--
Read the documentation and the FAQ! There is no excuse for not reading them! RTFM
Read the Rules!
We do not support Piracy/Abandonware/Warez!