zaurus port

NOTICE: This forum is archived as read only.
Please use the Github Discussions at https://github.com/exult/exult/discussions
Forum rules
NOTICE: This forum is archived as read only.
Please use the Github Discussions at https://github.com/exult/exult/discussions
OCA|

Speed..?

Post by OCA| »

Just curious here - is the game supposed to rune smoothly as is? For me, the sound skips regularly (1-3 times per second), and the games seems to "lock up" for about two seconds every time I start going towards a new area. Is this normal..? If not, any ideas how to speed this up..?
SB-X

Re: Speed..?

Post by SB-X »

On a PC running TiMidity+ at the same(when I used it), or increasing screen size with scalars will slow it down like that for me.
artaxerxes
Site Admin

Post by artaxerxes »

btw, disable sound altogether and tell me what gives.

Artaxerxes
artaxerxes
Site Admin

Post by artaxerxes »

To all users having a Zaurus or considering getting a Zaurus:

For your information, I've finished SI yesterday on the zaurus. Playable to the end. No problem. No cheat either. It even plays the endgame! :-)

Now that I'm done playing SI, I'm stopping the development of exult on the zaurus as I've achieved my goal.

(-; .gniddik tsuJ

Artaxerxes
OCA|

Speed..? (now without sound)

Post by OCA| »

The game runs a good deal better without sound now, but the second-long pauses when I start roaming in an area I'm new to still persist. And besides, without sound, the game really feels like it's missing something =(

Another quickie.... when I'm walking along a trail, sometimes a text box will appear trying to tell me something, and it seems like it instantly dissapears if I walk. The only way I have been able to catch them is when I see them, load, save closer, and walk step-by-step untill it appears.

Thanks for your help,
Jim
artaxerxes
Site Admin

Re: Speed..? (now without sound)

Post by artaxerxes »

and what does the text box say ?

Also, you might want to disable music but to leave the sfx on and the speech on.

Lately, Xiph.org has released their non-FPU Ogg decoder in BSD licence. That means it might be possible to use Ogg for exult in the zaurus, since it is supported by 1.1 CVS. More on this later though.

Artaxerxes
OCA|

Speed.. and now, Text Boxes!

Post by OCA| »

Bah. I can do without sound effects. I want the music!

As far as what the text boxes say - it varies. The best example I can remember is if you leave the first town in BG going north or south, and the Guardian tells you (depending on which way you're going) wether you're going the right or wrong way. The display of that text dissapears INSTANTLY. Granted, there is speech for those. But it does that it seems with all scripted text.

As far as Ogg music.... I love Ogg, but it's quite unlikely I'll be able to squeeze the oggs on there, considering I have so much on the device (Doom2, Final Doom, BG, 24+ songs in Ogg format....). And wouldn't the speed of that be slower than syntesising it?

Although... just dawned on me, I wonder if I can recompress the oggs at a lower bitrate... probably help both those issues....

Okay, I'm starting to think alloud on messageboards, that means I need sleep =P

Thanks again,
Jim
micron

Post by micron »

Hey, OCA|. I noticed the same sound problems as you seem to be having. I think it is due to the default config file having dual_opl set to yes. After changing that to no, I had much better MIDI performance. Wave still stutters though (Guardian's voice in BG intro is waaaay out of sync).
OCA|

Speed..? dual_opl

Post by OCA| »

Holy crap! That's a *HUGE* difference. The music almost never skips now! Thanks for the tip!

-Jim
artaxerxes
Site Admin

Re: Speed..? dual_opl

Post by artaxerxes »

thx for the info...

I'll push a new package soon.

Artaxerxes
artaxerxes
Site Admin

Re: Speed..? dual_opl

Post by artaxerxes »

new version available on the usual place.

Includes the dual_opl = off change plus all the latest that happen up to yesterday

Artaxerxes
minex

Re: zaurus port

Post by minex »

I just want to say that the Exult development team and Artaxerxes are pure genius for making this happen! Never in a million years would I have thought I'd be playing Ultima 7 on a handheld smaller than a gameboy. It runs very nicely too... now I just can't wait till a Commodore 64 emulator comes out. :)
David

Post by David »

What ROM do you guys use? I have tried OpenZarurs, the Offical Sharp, and Crow's ROM. There are things I like and dislike about them all. Any suggestions?
artaxerxes
Site Admin

Post by artaxerxes »

personnally, I use the official and maybe even outdated rom
v2.12

Artaxerxes