Ultima 7, is scary.....

NOTICE: This forum is archived as read only.
Please use the Github Discussions at https://github.com/exult/exult/discussions
Forum rules
NOTICE: This forum is archived as read only.
Please use the Github Discussions at https://github.com/exult/exult/discussions
hmmmm

Ultima 7, is scary.....

Post by hmmmm »

Ok. I have not played the game for a long time untill recently. These things scare me:

The voices I keep hearing
Time Lord
The thing with magic which I am still troubled by
The moongates which I go through 1 and it takes me somewhere and then I go back through and it knocks me to a strange place like Yew instead of back to Britian.

What are the things that scare you guys in U7? (can be in SI or BG)
SnowyThing

Re: Ultima 7, is scary.....

Post by SnowyThing »

Sure, the Guardian has a weird voice.
Sure, the Time Lord does dick all unless you bug him enough.
Magic doesn't work how you want it to unless you carry around a frick load of reagents. "Oh no! An attacker. *pulls out magic books and prepares reagents for spells.* "Oh, Mr. Liche, could you hold on a second? I'm almost done creating this spell to kill you, k thx!"
Moongates are just... pheh. That's why there are Serpent Gates in SI. :P

But, the real things that scare me in either Ultima VII's... are as follows....

1. Dirty Diapers. "Spare me!", "Aiiiieeeee!"
2. Fawnish Ale. "Bleghhhhhh!"
3. Giant Spiders or Scorpions, plus Alligators.
4. The little 'Troll Doll' from one of the Entertainers corpses in the Britain playhouse.
5. Chuckles.
6. The two ghosts in the fireworks factory in SI.
7. Automatons that say "Hold!" What am I supposed to hold?!
8. Wiggling body parts laying around.
9. St. Bernards running around, sniffing peoples swords.
10. Nakedness. "Kinky!"
IgnitusDragonn

Post by IgnitusDragonn »

The way Snowy attempts to be funny yet fails miserably. Oh and the general happy-sedated feeling you get when you enter Trinsic or Yew OR Cove.
SnowyThing

Post by SnowyThing »

Yew always made me feel happy, though. Harry Potter kinda ripped it off with the Giant Chess Board. Go figure.
XxVenomxX

Post by XxVenomxX »

Yeah, cuz giant chess boards are such an uncommon idea, :P
Even though it was a Knights Bridge board in U7.
http://venom.gamersgraveyard.com
Fantasy art/Illustration by Brendan Setaro
IgnitusDragonn

Post by IgnitusDragonn »

I own a giant chess board. Its in the garage beside my collection of giant tubesocks and a giant replica of katrines wool thong.
SnowyThing

Post by SnowyThing »

I have a giant poster of David Hasselhoff on my roof. :D~
Neutronium Dragon

Post by Neutronium Dragon »

I remember there being a similar "Lanceboard" room in the Ruins of Undermountain module around that time, too. Reminded me of Knight's Bridge the moment I saw it. :)

Neutronium Dragon
hmmmm

Post by hmmmm »

I seen the knight's bridge but just said "WTF do I do here???".
That scared me as well. I just looked at the screen like this O_O
IgnitusDragonn

Post by IgnitusDragonn »

Ditto...is there anything you CAN do there? Besides steal a few pieces and put them on L.B's bed.
SnowyThing

Post by SnowyThing »

Uhh... I think it's just for decoration... like the Time Lord, and Lord British's castle.
IgnitusDragonn

Post by IgnitusDragonn »

The Time Lord is useful.
L.B's castle...errm...
SnowyThing

Post by SnowyThing »

Time Lord? Useful? What has he ever done for you besides standing in his hologram forcefield thingy? Maybe he's your father.

As for Lord British, he should get a hobby. :P
IgnitusDragonn

Post by IgnitusDragonn »

Well he's contributed to....ENDING THE GAME...
SB-X

Post by SB-X »

Lord British hunts animals, and studies astronomy, and researches archeology, and gets it on with the fine female residents of the castle/palace. What kind of hobbies do you have? :)
SnowyThing

Post by SnowyThing »

Oh... a little bit of this, and a little bit of that. You might remember me from such hobbies as "Jaques, the two legged mouse" and "Hark! Didst thou see that flying toaster?"

Afterdark....

~Snowy
Nephal

Post by Nephal »

dunno about scary, but my favorite part of black gate is when you get the demon sword and kill LB with it "ahh you knaves, get him!!!! auuggghh!!!"
IgnitusDragon

Post by IgnitusDragon »

Ultima 7 The Black Gate has a Best Usage Of Gutteral Noises And Screams Of Anquish Of The Year Award.
a bloke from Oxford

Post by a bloke from Oxford »

It's guttural not gutteral, and:

it's anguish not anquish.

Otherwise it seems just about right. A-. Now excuse me while I go to engage in secret and wildly perverted sexual practices with my fellow Masons.
IgnitusDragon

Post by IgnitusDragon »

Well I was just being all mean and junk because you mentioned before(with another name) that you had grammer problems, this is just my way of fitting in by speleing stuff rong.

In the gutter all!
Wuff

Post by Wuff »

Well, the only thing in Ultima VII that scares me is ... Oink! Your mother is an orange peel on my greatsword! Silly evil mirror and Lord British clone. >.<
IgnitusDragon

Post by IgnitusDragon »

Wheres the L.B clone your talking about?
Evil mirror? Orange peel?
What about the no cheating signs like that one in the gargoyle place in SI, if you remove like a ton of debris and bricks you get a sign that says "NO CHEATERS!"
The fact that they knew what I was doing scares me.
Wuff

Post by Wuff »

::chuckles:: Sorry Ignitus, I guess it does deserve explanation since not everyone might've seen it.

If you start off due North of Britain and head North-West (I think it was anyways, I'm a little vague on this but I will check if you want), you'll hit the mountain there, turn on the walk through everything and soon enough, in the middle of the blackness you'll come across a room. It has nothing in it but a red carpet. At one end you have a large oval mirror and at the other end you have ... either a throne or a seat, I'm not 100% on that. You walk in and you basically get sucked into the chair. Lord British hops out of the mirror and shouts, "You cheating b******, thou shalt pay!" or something like that (yes, he cusses) and you get sucked into the chair.

At which point he starts hitting you with very nasty lightning bolts. The only way to not die is to fiddle with the cheat mode. You have to set yourself invincible to not die and then you have to teleport yourself somewhere. Once you've done that, the whole game goes into Serpent "Your mother was a Hamster because you didn't get the copyright protection right!" Isle mode. I'm really not making this up or on anything. Try it out for yourself.
Wuff

Post by Wuff »

Heh, this reminds me of the American Football field in Serpent Isle too where the monsters are American Footballers, that could be reached without the all-walk though I think ... I think it was under that mage guy's (the one who says anything is possible if you have the money for it) stairs. This was so long ago though and I've only just started replaying. That was pretty damned messed up too.
wjp
Site Admin

Post by wjp »

Yeah, there's a secret door under the stairs to Pothos' house in Moonshade.
IgnitusDragon

Post by IgnitusDragon »

He cusses? Well jumpin' Jehosaphat Billy Bob!
I knew of that place, I just didn't realize it wasn't the real British, technically of course it would be easier to just make up a british clone. I had forgotten the mirror as well, as I remember, that "no cheaters" room is near Yew.
Wuff

Post by Wuff »

I was right? o.O; Jinkies, my memory is better than I thought, perhaps too good, maybe I should stop popping those ginseng pills now ... eh, nah.

Heh, I remember plenty of scary stuff in Ultima VII (BG and SI) but I think those two had to be the darned whackiest and most out there, by far.
Wuff

Post by Wuff »

Well, it doesn't have to be a 'clone' but I always thought it wasn't the real Lord British, at the time to me it sort of seemed like it was some magical representation of him set there, if it were a plot element, I'd blame it on the Guardian. Though I don't think even he's powerful enough to make everyone speak Oink!.
IgnitusDragon

Post by IgnitusDragon »

yeah I figured it might be the actual British(his npc number is 115 isn't it?) then I realized Ultima 7 doesn't usually work directly like that, most likely it was a clone. Infact if memory serves me correct I think in Serpent Isle theres a "LB_clone" npc.
SnowyThing

Post by SnowyThing »

I wouldn't doubt that there's a Lord British spawn egg somewhere.... like there are for cats and dogs and various other things.
Natreg Dragon

Post by Natreg Dragon »

Sea shanty scared me a lot :)
ratavA

Post by ratavA »

1)The "Osciloscope on LSD" load screen is scary.
2)The quotes are VERY scary.
3)The fact that Male Avatar looks like Björn Borg is SCARING THE HELL OUT OF ME!!!!!YIKES!!
annox

Post by annox »

end scene is still (and it was when i seen it first time ) scary.
Atmosphere is very scary.
Big Chess game board...
mysterious craft on corn field...
Isle of Avatar...
Dungeons...

yee, Serpent Isle is more scary, all people dies ... Dupre dies
U8 is very sad, because you are you own. No party or company...

Btw, i got originals (including cloth maps magic stuff , manuals etc..)
- 5,25" floppy Ultima 5 commodore 64 version
- 3,5" ultima 6 PC
- 3,5" ultima 7 Black Gate PC
- 3,5" Forge of virtue PC
- 3,5" Serpent Isle PC
- 3,5 ultima 8 Pagan + Speech Pack PC
- Ultima Collection CD PC
- ultima 1-6 on 1 CD !!!
- ultima 9 PC

Great games. Great history of Britannia.
U7 is the best rpg game engine ever seen. Sad that EA has lost it or ..something. Good work Exult team. Some day i like the make my own game with this great Exult tool.
SnowyThing

Post by SnowyThing »

EA didn't lose it... otherwise they couldn't have released the Ultima Collection or release patches for the games.
annox

Post by annox »

uu. i mean the source code is 'lost'
hmmmm

Post by hmmmm »

Exactly, "lost". ;)
bobed

Post by bobed »

this game is freaky. once i got so scared i stopped playing! earlier did the stairway toheaven cheat got stuck in the teleporers got stuck in this mountain forest place, accedently overwrote my file and i only just got the password from the mayor and have been attacked by wolves, a guy who throws rocks and worse! my compains and i will shout stuff like "d**n your offspring!" or "i shall have thine head!" pluus , here is a short list of creepy stuff:

1. the guardian talking
2. silentness then things attack
3. people stalking you if they see you in their house atnight
4. the self turning chair and self shuting door in christiphors shop

anyway, is there a way to get out of the cheat room without teleporters or cheating?
Dominus
Site Admin

Post by Dominus »

Thread necrophilia is really really scary. It's a ten years old thread...
And no, you can't get out of the *CHEAT* room without using the teleporters or... CHEATING!
--
Read the documentation and the FAQ! There is no excuse for not reading them! RTFM
Read the Rules!
We do not support Piracy/Abandonware/Warez!
joebonk

Post by joebonk »

The dead baby in the mountains of freedom prison.
One thing that bothers me is the history of serpent isle. I can't piece it together.
I know it started in ultima 1. And the destruction of the gem turns the lands apart. But then when did the gargoyles show up, were they the ones that built the pyramids and ruins? This is the same island in ultima6 right?
So, then the ophidians come and they use the serpent ideology. They are humans, the silver seed addon has the death watch and it's not in ruins (still used and well kept). So the ophidians are human? Not Gargoyles? But the gargoyles built the pyramids? Then the ophidians leave, ceptin' the death watch. Then later The Mad Mage brings everyone from Britannia to escape The tyrant brattish. This happens when ultima 4 introduced the virtues. So this is after the gargoyles left serpent isle. But in ultima6 the gargoyles are there. There was one brief mention by a monk or by Gwenno that time moves differently in serpent isle then it does in britannia. but is that an explanation for the history, or something different anyways. I wish they said something like the Avatar's journeys to serpent isle were at different time periods covering different eras. If this is explained then it missed me. Does someone know the history of Serpent isle?
Thanks in advance.
Dominus
Site Admin

Post by Dominus »

Look it up on the net. But it's part of the lands of U1 not U6.
http://ultima.wikia.com/wiki/Serpent_Isle
(No mention of the demons/gargoyles, though)
--
Read the documentation and the FAQ! There is no excuse for not reading them! RTFM
Read the Rules!
monotremata

Post by monotremata »

"I remember there being a similar "Lanceboard" room in the Ruins of Undermountain module around that time, too. Reminded me of Knight's Bridge the moment I saw it. :)"

Actually I think its in the module thats based on Lewis Carrolls Through The Looking Glass. I cant remember what the two modules were called but I definitely remember that in there. The game board was printed on the inside of the cover so you could actually play on it when you got to that particular encounter..
Morbius Dragon
-==(UDIC)==-
Since 1992!
bobed

Post by bobed »

what is Thread necrophilia?
and can you stop the guarian talking?
Dominus
Site Admin

Post by Dominus »

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.p ... ecrophilia
And no you can't stop the guardian from talking
--
Read the Rules!
abp

Post by abp »

Scary: nothing.
Eerie: lots of things, but the simpler the eerier.

Example 1: small, abandoned house in the thick of the woods. Inside: a charred corpse. You will never get an explanation.

Example 2: dead baby body inside a dead dragon body, somewhere in a cave.

Example 3: dead guy buried in a cave which, I think, is only reachable by cheating. Inside his body, a scroll says that his name is Daniel, along with his last wishes before dying of starvation.
agentorangeguy

Post by agentorangeguy »

I remember the dude in "Example 3", he was near Vesper right? I vaguely remember somehow stumbling in there without cheating but if I am remembering correctly, I was unable to find a way back out..
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ultima 6 Mod for Exult site: http://www.ultima6.realmofultima.com/
Malignant Manor
Site Admin

Post by Malignant Manor »

There's a teleporter to example 3 at 2104x, 0744 y (39 N, 117 E). It's in a room with several bodies inside a cave on the north western part of the desert.
abp

Post by abp »

but after you get there there's no teleporter back, so you're basically dead, right? If so, it could be the only way to get stuck and lose any unsaved progress in the original.

Poor Daniel.
Korneluk

Post by Korneluk »

doesn't the recall spell work?
Malignant Manor
Site Admin

Post by Malignant Manor »

Yes, recall would work and so would the moonstone, help spell, black sword's teleport, and killing yourself.
MV

Post by MV »

I think what is scarey is getting wiped out by a stone harpy while your entire party is wielding the most bad-ass magic weapons ever forged.

Crud, I totally forgot and got too used to the glowing magic swords and hammers. :)