Food Duplicates in BG.

NOTICE: This forum is archived as read only.
Please use the Github Discussions at https://github.com/exult/exult/discussions
Forum rules
NOTICE: This forum is archived as read only.
Please use the Github Discussions at https://github.com/exult/exult/discussions
SnowyThing

Food Duplicates in BG.

Post by SnowyThing »

I was just playing BG this morning and stopped by the baker. Once he puts the dough in the baking hearth and he steps away to prepare another piece, the food pops up into it's edible form.
Now this is where it duplicates........ when he walks over to the food that just popped up from the dough in the hearth, pick it up before he picks it up and stuff it in Iolo or something. He will continue to pick up the now gone food. He will walk to a table and drop down a 'duplicate' of the item that you took.

Strange, eh? If he can pull things out of mid-air, why does he even both baking? :P
SnowyThing

Re: Food Duplicates in BG.

Post by SnowyThing »

Then after a little while it corrects itself. When he bends over to pick up the foodstuff that you took, he walks back over to the table to drop the food, but instead when he drops the food, the dough he was preparing during the cooking process disappears into his hands, then the process goes on again.

Also, when the baker delays in picking up flour, the baking time increases significantly. Makes me wonder if the hearth is timed with the Bakers schedual?

Just thoughts.
wjp
Site Admin

Post by wjp »

It's a magic bakery; the bread is ready exactly when the baker wants it to be ;-)
SnowyThing

Post by SnowyThing »

This also occurs in Lord British's castle kitchen/bakery. Except that I didn't harass any of the cooks there. I thought each NPC was different. Once one action gets screwed up or bugs on one NPC, the others that do the same action suffer as well?
Sort of like a plague... or even a strike, as the Bakers go.
Dunno. I suggest trying it to see if it will happen with you.

~Snowy

It could be a serious bug if you break other NPC's scheduals(sp?)
Roman

Post by Roman »

well, I break npc's schedules by killing them and it isn't a bug.
XxVenomxX

Post by XxVenomxX »

This happened in the original. If you went to Zorn in Minoc, and kept taking his blanks after he put them on the anvil, eventually he would put down blanks of the Black Sword. I soon had 3 black sword blanks without having visited the Isle of Fire yet.
I suppose this is something similar.
http://venom.gamersgraveyard.com
Fantasy art/Illustration by Brendan Setaro
IgnitusDragonn

Post by IgnitusDragonn »

This is an original bug even though you didn't note any opinion otherwise, if the usecode had some sort of "breadthere" flag it would fix that, I mean, if the baker went to get bread and then the game checked to see if it was there or not, you wouldn't have the problem.
drcode
Site Admin

Post by drcode »

The schedules aren't controlled by usecode; we had to code them by hand. They could be improved to be more realistic, but nobody thinks it's all that important yet. We have talked about making them scriptable, but that's still a bit in the future.
IgnitusDragonn

Post by IgnitusDragonn »

Schedules are set in that schedule.dat file as far as I know, I'm not saying they are controlled by usecode, I'm saying that the action of baking is controlled by usecode(to the best of my knowledge).
wjp
Site Admin

Post by wjp »

No, as DrCode said, we had to code the action of baking by hand. (Same for sewing, playing, patrolling, smithing, etc...)
IgnitusDragonn

Post by IgnitusDragonn »

Oh I see, so you don't have some type of, err...way of finding if there is bread that is actually there...or better yet have the same item(as was baked) pass into the bakers inventory and then desposited on the table?
Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't that sort of a scripted type thing? In context, shouldn't it be in usecode?
SnowyThing

Post by SnowyThing »

Well, it does seem to me as a serious bug. Where are you supposed to get your food from once the baker breaks? That, and when you break one baker, they are all affected. Am I supposed to BUY my own food from the lady at the tavern? I don't think so, that would completely take away the whole meaning of the 'Avatar'.

Here is a situation that I believe would be a result of this problem.
------------------------------
Iolo: "Is that virtuous?"
Avatar: "Shut up and just stuff this food non-chalantly in your backpack!"
Iolo: "Die!"
Avatar: "Don't attack me, since I stole all the food from the Baker, he has developed a complex so he can't bake."
Iolo: "Die!"
Spark: "Aiiieeeee!" *runs into a corner.*
Guard: "Thou ragamuffin! Wilt thou come quietly?"
----------------------------
See how a seemingly innocent situation can turn into a major problem?

*hugs DrCode so he can fix it.*
IgnitusDragonn

Post by IgnitusDragonn »

*offers Dr Code some silverleaf donuts and a night on the weekend with any selection of my lovely tavern wenches*
What can I say? I have ties with the House Of Comforts.
SnowyThing

Post by SnowyThing »

Yeah, well... DrCode, I have a free enrollment into the Doctor school of your choice, just for you.
Also, a free stay at 'The Bath House' in Buccaneers Den. :D
IgnitusDragonn

Post by IgnitusDragonn »

However, I have four girls from the Bath House(one might be a guy, I'm not sure) who you may take anywhere you'd like, not restricted just at the bath house.
SnowyThing

Post by SnowyThing »

Yeah, well, Lord British is willing to give over his reign to you, DrCode.
IgnitusDragonn

Post by IgnitusDragonn »

Don't listen to Snowy, hes the anti-avatar.
Bad Snowy...promising things only I can give.
SnowyThing

Post by SnowyThing »

*frowns.* But I can promise you riches beyond your wildest fantasy.
I can also let you drop the Silver Seed and let it fit perfectly in the wittle hole. :D