Crashing when loading save

NOTICE: This forum is archived as read only.
Please use the Github Discussions at https://github.com/exult/exult/discussions
Forum rules
NOTICE: This forum is archived as read only.
Please use the Github Discussions at https://github.com/exult/exult/discussions
Raptomex

Crashing when loading save

Post by Raptomex »

I was originally using Exult 1.4. I noticed various shops lost all of their stuff. The disappearing bug I guess. Well I downloaded the latest snapshot on Friday and it seems whenever I'm in a carriage the game will sometimes lock up and I'm forced to close it. Sometimes Exult will just close randomly no matter what I'm doing. But the real bummer here is when I load the game back up, Exult will just immediately close. I attempted another new game with a back up save file. I would save a backup file whenever I enter a new area but now each time I load any of my multiple saves it crashes. Is this a common problem.
Dominus
Site Admin

Re: Crashing when loading save

Post by Dominus »

I'm not understanding clearly:
Do you still have problems with a complete new game and current snapshot?
--
Read the documentation and the FAQ! There is no excuse for not reading them! RTFM
Read the Rules!
We do not support Piracy/Abandonware/Warez!
Raptomex

Post by Raptomex »

Sorry, I'll try to explain it better. I have Ultima 7 legit from GOG. I was using Exult v1.4 for the longest time before I recently noticed some shops didn't have what they were supposed to have inside anymore like display cases and furniture for example. I assumed it was the disappearing bug. So I did some research here and decided to try the latest snapshot.

I'll start a new game with the latest Exult snapshot. Sometimes Exult will just close for no reason, no error message or anything. I'll run Exult again and load up my save. But many times I will load up a saved game and Exult will immediately close so I can't continue my game. I've also noticed whenever I'm riding in a carriage it will sometimes cause Exult to crash and I get the generic "Exult is not responding" message and sometimes even after that I am unable to load my game. It's weird. The last time I played I saved the game twice. My main file and another labeled "Backup". I was playing my main file and Exult randomly closed on me. I loaded up my main file again and it just closed again. I tried loading the backup file and it, as well, just closed. I didn't get very far so it's not like I lost tons of progress. But I can never seem to get past Britain. I usually start my game, leave Trinsic, head to Paws, then Britain. It's just annoying since I can't make any real headway.
VisElEchNon

Post by VisElEchNon »

I would suggest, if you're trying to just start a new game anyway, completely uninstall both U7 and Exult. Then reinstall U7, then Exult, and start a new game with completely clean files. It's possible (though I don't know how likely myself) that some of the files got corrupted in your save directory and, even though you upgraded to the snapshot, the damage was already done.
Raptomex

Post by Raptomex »

Well I did delete the old save files (in-game) before installing the new snapshot but I can try again when I get the chance. I'm not too upset since I didn't get very far but I'm just tired of repeating the same stuff every other time I want to play. I was just curious if this is a common thing or if there's any kind of fix.
Dominus
Site Admin

Post by Dominus »

Can you upload one of the problematic savegames before you delete them? I'm really curios what happens there. Also a complete reinstall is mostly not necessary. It is often enough to get rid of the gamedat folder and make sure you are not running a mod or a patch that could wreak havoc.
--
Read the documentation and the FAQ! There is no excuse for not reading them! RTFM
Read the Rules!
Raptomex

Post by Raptomex »

Next time I'll save the savegame file. Since I didn't lose too much progress it wasn't a huge deal. Even a reinstall isn't that big of a problem for me. I had no mods running either. I guess this problem isn't as common as I thought. Thanks for the help, though.
Raptomex

Post by Raptomex »

Ok. I uninstalled both Exult and Ultima 7 and deleted any other files remaining. I reinstalled Ultima 7 (GOG version) and the latest snapshot of Exult. I started a brand new game. I have a carriage, got to Britain, talked to a few NPCs, I was headed to see Lord British next and Exult unexpectedly closed again. If I attempt to load my main file or my backup file, Exult immediately closes forcing me to start a new game. I even attempted to start a new game then load my previous files from the menu. Even after doing this Exult would just close. This has happened several times for me. I have uploaded my save game file to the bugtracker here.

https://sourceforge.net/p/exult/bugs/1861/
Dominus
Site Admin

Post by Dominus »

I'll take a look tomorrow. This shouldn't happen...
--
Read the Rules!
Raptomex

Post by Raptomex »

Ok, thanks.
Dominus
Site Admin

Post by Dominus »

Hmm, I wonder if Jeff or Malignant broke something with their last commits
--
Read the Rules!
Raptomex

Post by Raptomex »

It crashed for you as well?
VisElEchNon

Post by VisElEchNon »

lol When you say you'll take a look tomorrow you apparently mean "right away" tomorrow... :D
Dominus
Site Admin

Post by Dominus »

Nah, didn't look, just thought about it and jeff's desk schedule could be the culprit.
--
Read the Rules!
Dominus
Site Admin

Post by Dominus »

yeah, crash confirmed. Also confirmed that it is revision 7433 that bombs it. My snapshots before that work fine. So Jeff did something bad :)
--
Read the Rules!
Raptomex

Post by Raptomex »

How does it effect multiple saves at a time? I can't even load my backup save.
Dominus
Site Admin

Post by Dominus »

The bug triggers there, no matter what savegame ;)
--
Read the Rules!
Raptomex

Post by Raptomex »

Good to know. I'm surprised nobody else encountered it. I'll wait for a fix or new snapshot. Thanks.
Malignant Manor
Site Admin

Post by Malignant Manor »

The bug first started at 9-29 and most people don't report bugs. This will be fixed when the snapshot gets updated (r7437).
Dominus
Site Admin

Post by Dominus »

Thanks Raptomex for being so patient and testing it over and over. When Exult crashes it's never good and your savegame helped to pinpoint the bug very fast.
Thanks Malignant for your fast bug fixing.
--
Read the Rules!
Raptomex

Post by Raptomex »

Not a problem. I see a new snapshot is available. That's awesome. I know the beginning by heart now, hopefully I can get past Britain. Thanks to everyone for the help.
Bloodynst

Post by Bloodynst »

I just found exult a few days ago and love the features but had this exact problem until I stumbled upon this post. The last reply says a new/fixed snapshot is available. But on the download page the date still says 10-03-13 was last update. Am I looking in the wrong place?
Malignant Manor
Site Admin

Post by Malignant Manor »

Use ctrl-F5 to refresh the page, and it will show the correct time. I asked WJP in IRC if he can do anything about the page update issue.
Bloodnyst

Post by Bloodnyst »

Yeah I already redownloaded and installed after I posted the message and everything works fine now! I can get to Lord British! Also, I refreshed and seen the new date, Ill have to remember that... Thanks Malignant