Game mechanics

NOTICE: This forum is archived as read only.
Please use the Github Discussions at https://github.com/exult/exult/discussions
Forum rules
NOTICE: This forum is archived as read only.
Please use the Github Discussions at https://github.com/exult/exult/discussions
Caergo

Game mechanics

Post by Caergo »

OK, I just started playing with Exult and I think I need some help.

First, is there anything that can be analyzed to see weapon stats?

Second, there's a hotkey in Exult for "pause combat" as space, when I press space nothing happens. How does that work?

How does food work? I read on one of the wikis that it's a scale from 0 to 31 and at 0 you die or can die. How do I see what my characters currently have?
Crowley

Re: Game mechanics

Post by Crowley »

There is a book in-game which lists weapon and armor values. I don't know any exact location where to find one, but here's a transcript of the book's contents:

http://wiki.ultimacodex.com/wiki/Vetron ... and_Armour

For the food level, when it drops below 5, the party member will begin complaining about being hungry. Their status window will also have an icon with crossed fork and knife at the bottom.
Dominus
Site Admin

Post by Dominus »

http://exult.info/docs.php#misc_gump for the combat options that need to be toggled.

Use Exult Studio to get detailed informations about weapons.
--
Read the documentation and the FAQ! There is no excuse for not reading them! RTFM
Read the Rules!
We do not support Piracy/Abandonware/Warez!
Crowley

Post by Crowley »

Also, from what I can tell, the food level goes down at a rate of 1 per in-game hour, which takes several minutes of real time. So when you start to get notifications about someone being hungry, you have a fair amount of time to deal with that.
Caergo

Post by Caergo »

Thanks a lot!

Question, how does SpaceCombat works? I tried it to see that it works but I had no enemy nearby. I assume that it's paused then I can choose a target as said in the documentation but am I allowed to choose which of my party emembers or is more of whole party choice?
Malignant Manor
Site Admin

Post by Malignant Manor »

You need to be in combat mode when you pause. If you right click on a party member, you select them. When you right click on a target, they will attack that target when the game unpauses.
Caergo

Post by Caergo »

Ah, thanks.
Red

Post by Red »

Can party members really die of starvation? I don't recall any of mine ever doing. In fact, I stopped feeding them because I saw no difference whatsoever (other than them complaining about being hungry). Is this a Exult bug, or it works like that in plain U7?
Dominus
Site Admin

Post by Dominus »

I think we fixed something in that regsrd. Eventually the party member falls unconscious and slowly dies
--
Read the documentation and the FAQ! There is no excuse for not reading them! RTFM
Read the Rules!
We do not support Piracy/Abandonware/Warez!
Malignant Manor
Site Admin

I think the original engine lets them heal every hour even though they are starving, poisoned, or freezing. I changed it so that doesn't happen for Exult on Dec. 10, 2010. (You need the SVN snapshot since the current release doesn't include this change.)

My notes say overheating in SI is not checked since overheating is handled by usecode function 0x6AF. They still don't take damage during scripted sleeping. Hunger damage is only 0-2 hit points.
marzo
Site Admin

Post by marzo »

Regarding hunger: I once ran an experiment in the original games. It involved a bit of custom usecode which periodically fed the avatar, but let the other party members starve. I let the game run for several game weeks, and observed that they never died. So I disabled the custom usecode, and confirmed that the avatar never died either. At best, they collapsed due to damage.
------
Marzo Sette Torres Junior
aka Geometrodynamic Dragon
[url=http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html]How To Ask Questions The Smart Way[/url]
Malignant Manor
Site Admin

In the original engine, you didn't heal over time when starving unless you had 0 or less hp. At that point, you could heal up back up to 1 hp. There seems to be a check every minute for damage. Exult was checking every hour and did 0-2 damage instead of 1.

Poison and freezing will kill you. I didn't bother to check if they let you heal.