exult-like program for U6

NOTICE: This forum is archived as read only.
Please use the Github Discussions at https://github.com/exult/exult/discussions
Forum rules
NOTICE: This forum is archived as read only.
Please use the Github Discussions at https://github.com/exult/exult/discussions
matt

exult-like program for U6

Post by matt »

I don't even care if it is as "complex" as exult, but it would be swell if someone made a program that would anti-alias ultima 6's graphics... (and slowed it down as well, moslo doesn't even help anymore)...
kiler

Re: exult-like program for U6

Post by kiler »

The exult engine is opensource you can make it yourself.
No the Exult team won't be doing an U6 version.
SB-X

Post by SB-X »

I would LOVE to work on a project like this, since U6 is one of my favorite games. Conceivably a "remake" of sorts(but without actually changing and story or dialog) could be done using Exult, when it's editing/creation ability has matured. One thing that might be considered
crucial before you could proceed using Exult is the ability to have multiple planes, since U6 has large areas of dungeons, and caverns, and don't forget the Underworld. I havn't thought much about it yet.
Stephan

Post by Stephan »

While not on topic, I think it's interesting nonetheless to see how many people are referring to the Gargoyle lands as the Underworld. What's up with that?
SB-X

Post by SB-X »

Because we think that's what it is? Please, enlighten us.
Stephan

Post by Stephan »

Oh. I didn't mean that as an insult or anything, but I've seen the gargoyle lands referred to as the Underworld by a lot of people, and I was just wondering where this misunderstanding came from in the first place.

The Underworld was created when the Codex of Ultimate Wisdom was removed from the Great Stygian Abyss and taken to the surface of Britannia.

The Gargoyle lands are most often thought of as being on the opposite side of Britannia - after all, the U6 Britannia is flat. When the Underworld collapsed after Lord British was rescued from Doom, the ensuing destruction caused the Gargoyle world to slowly be torn apart and disappear into the Void.
Hacki Dragon

Post by Hacki Dragon »

The Underworld in U5 is meant to be the same as the Underworld in U6. Don't forget that in both games, you can get to the Underworld through the dungeons.
However, there are really big inaccuracies between the two games. Let me quote from my site:

- Why didn't you see anything from Gargoyle villages in Ultima 5?
- There is a sky down there? Somehow, this contradicts the dark cave system from Ultima 5.
- If Britannia is flat and there is a sky on the other side, then where does gravitation come from down there?
- Ultima 5 implies that the Underworld was created by the magic used to raise the Codex from the Abyss; yet Ultima 6 implies it has always been there...

etc.
---------------------------------------------
Hacki Dragon
-==UDIC==-

Hacki's Ultima Page
Stephan

Post by Stephan »

That's because the gargoyle lands are not supposed to be the Underworld. They look nothing alike. :)
Hacki Dragon

Post by Hacki Dragon »

They *ARE* supposed to be the Underworld. They are a system of caverns below the surface of Britannia, and you can go there through the dungeons. Well, I guess you can put it either way, but you'll have some inaccuracies in any case. I wish Origin had cared a little more for consistency :)
(*sigh*, I know, as far as inconsistencies are concerned, Ultima 6 is a breeze compared to the thunderstorm of UA.)
---------------------------------------------
Hacki Dragon
-==UDIC==-

Hacki's Ultima Page
Stephan

Post by Stephan »

Hehe, looks like we won't agree on this. ;)

Anyway, Ultima VI clearly states that the Underworld collapsed after U5 in several different places. This caused a lot of earthquakes and stuff in Britannia, and started the destruction of the Gargoyle homelands - which, as stated in U7, is "on the other side of the world".
SB-X

Underworld

Post by SB-X »

> Oh. I didn't mean that as an insult or anything

I didn't take it as such. I was serious. I thought that the lands below
were the Underworld, maybe because of inconsitencies in the plot. I really wanted you to tell me why that was not the case. Sorry if it
sounded sarcastic. :)
suraimu

Re: Underworld

Post by suraimu »

Well, actually, the Gargoyle realm -has- to be underground. If they were
on the other side of the world, then you would NOT be able to sail east
from Moonglow and reach Skara Brae. :)
Stephan

Post by Stephan »

You can't, in U6.
Colourless
Site Admin

Post by Colourless »

Yeah, the edge of the world in U6 was surrounded by the Void.

Trivia Time: There was only one way to actually wrap around the world in U6... what was it?

-Colourless Dragon
SB-X

Post by SB-X »

Balloon?
Colourless
Site Admin

Post by Colourless »

Yeah
SB-X

Post by SB-X »

What do I win?
Colourless
Site Admin

Post by Colourless »

/me check the Exult bank balance

Sorry, nothing. We are about $3 Million in the red. We can't afford to give you anything :-)

-Colourless Dragon
artaxerxes
Site Admin

Post by artaxerxes »

I've got a couple text files that explains the architecture of the U6 data files.

I can send them to anyone if you care starting something interesting.

Email me at artaxerxes2@iname.NOSPAM.com

Artaxerxes
Nodling

Post by Nodling »

There's some information here:
http://www.geocities.com/nodling/

I'd also like to mention that Adplug (an open-source Winamp plugin) is able to play Ultima 6 music files.
http://adplug.sourceforge.net/