Worried...

NOTICE: This forum is archived as read only.
Please use the Github Discussions at https://github.com/exult/exult/discussions
Forum rules
NOTICE: This forum is archived as read only.
Please use the Github Discussions at https://github.com/exult/exult/discussions
Scythifuge

Worried...

Post by Scythifuge »

I have not seen posts from Marzo or Wizardry in a while, and only sporadic posts from Dr. Code, ,Malignant Manor, Colorless, and certain others...

I hope that things aren't dead. Ultima lives.

Either way, I continue work on Savage Empire Remake assets, as well as other VI-VII style assets, including modern-to-futuristic assets that I mentioned a while back (the cyberpunk stuff).

Ultima lives...
Dominus
Site Admin

Re: Worried...

Post by Dominus »

I'm worried myself ;(
I spoke to Marzo on IRC the other week and at the moment he's much more interested in real life and other projects but he plans to come back sooner rather than later. He also has some ideas on how to tackle the disappearing objects bug.
Dr.Code recently continued working on the Android port and comitts code for that.
Wizardry is not part of the Exult team and has some tendency to disappear for months (along with the tfl site - no offense meant, btw, these things happen).

Not sure what happened to Malignant, he still posts, though very rarely...

After 11 years we need fresh blood in the development team, but that is easier said than accomplished ;(
--
Read the documentation and the FAQ! There is no excuse for not reading them! RTFM
Read the Rules!
We do not support Piracy/Abandonware/Warez!
Andrea B Previtera

Post by Andrea B Previtera »

From time to time I've tried to setup a compiling environment. Marzo helped me once, too, but because of real life issues and me being a very /very/ oldschool coder, I had some major problems.

Some days ago I've reinstalled Visual Studio 2010 Express: is that good to fiddle with Exult? I am horrible coder but quite good at debugging, and I think I may have some ideas on how to track the disappearing objects thing.

(And maybe have a shot at the selective roof removal and shadow things I always blabbered about ;-) )
paulo

Post by paulo »

C++ is garlic to my vampire.
Dominus
Site Admin

Post by Dominus »

I think VS 2010 should be fine you just need to set all the needed libs up. But I never used it, only used mingw/gcc on Windows.
--
Read the documentation and the FAQ! There is no excuse for not reading them! RTFM
Read the Rules!
drcode
Site Admin

Post by drcode »

Yes, real-life takes its toll, but I am still interested in the Android port, especially user-interface changes to make it more playable on a tiny touch-screen without a keyboard. I'm not sure how relevant it is with the native port being done.

I haven't kept up with the 'disappearing objects' bug. Is this a new problem, or one that's been there all-along?
Dominus
Site Admin

Post by Dominus »

The disappearing objects bug has been reported since 2009 and might be related to what Marzo wrote to the ML in 2008 http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/mess ... d=19935806
The bug is hard to reproduce, I only had it happen once and couldn't reproduce it at that place :(

Android port: the native port is easier to maintain but well, no patch for that yet and I think you doing the Java port will help the interface much more.
--
Read the Rules!
KenC

Post by KenC »

Speaking of real life interfering... I'm still intending to upload a final version of the native patches, but wanted to finish up some work integrating the mods into it first. Lots of other things came up in the mean time, and I probably won't get back to working on it for another couple of weeks.

Ken
monotremata

Post by monotremata »

Ok quick question now.. :D
I dont know a whole lot about Android other then how to root my phone and do some serious damage with sudo (just like on my Mac hehe) but I thought all android apps were done in Java anyways??

You guys mentioning a 'native' port as well as a 'java' port has me confused..

Not that this really has anything to do with Exult being updated..
I wish I could help out more but Im afraid Im limited to just helping in bringing up headaches during compiling..
Morbius Dragon
-==(UDIC)==-
Since 1992!
Mr. Nice Gaius

Post by Mr. Nice Gaius »

"The Android NDK is a companion tool to the Android SDK that lets you build performance-critical portions of your apps in native code. It provides headers and libraries that allow you to build activities, handle user input, use hardware sensors, access application resources, and more, when programming in C or C++."

Game developers in particular have been clamoring for the ability to write native code for the android platform, and they eventually got their wish :)
Dominus
Site Admin

Post by Dominus »

--
Read the Rules!
Colourless
Site Admin

Post by Colourless »

I'm here, I'm on IRC, I watch... but there isn't anything in particular that i want to do with Exult atm.
andar_b

Post by andar_b »

I'd be happy to assist in any way I can, but my C++ skills are only modest. I aced my recent C++ class, but it only covered command-line stuff, and I really struggled with pointers. I personally believe they seem like an accident waiting to happen.

I keep bouncing around a mod idea, but idk.
Cobalt

Post by Cobalt »

I'll be here for moral and emotional support if anyone needs me. I went through 5 or 6 year Ultima 7 dry spell's, over the last 19 years, so I'm pretty battle hardened. ;^)
Scythifuge

Post by Scythifuge »

Either way, I keep plugging away at sprites for The Savage Empire Remake.
paulo

Post by paulo »

Is my no-drop-confirmation patch going to be reviewed?

I'd like it to be in the next version if there is no problem.

I'm not quite sure that all platforms that scumm allows have a CRTL key (the override for this behavior i put in, besides the menu), so it might need some ifdefs (i don't know of all platforms you port to either).
Muzza

Post by Muzza »

Dear forum.

Ultima 7 is the best game ever.

Thanks, for working on it.

Don't sweat the small stuff - objects disappearing solution - can you not put in a quest to purchase contents insurance from trinsic.
Dominus
Site Admin

Post by Dominus »

:)
--
Read the Rules!