A mystery switch...

NOTICE: This forum is archived as read only.
Please use the Github Discussions at https://github.com/exult/exult/discussions
Forum rules
NOTICE: This forum is archived as read only.
Please use the Github Discussions at https://github.com/exult/exult/discussions
Ezric

A mystery switch...

Post by Ezric »

In BG, at 3 North, 10 East (040c, 044d in hex), in the courtyard of Candice's house in Britain, there is a switch hidden under a tree (hackmove the tree out of the way). Can someone tell me what this switch does/triggers? And can entry to this small courtyard be gained legitimately?

While I'm asking about a switch, I may as well ask about another... I'm almost certain I remember a switch being somewhere in Lord British's castle that opens a wall allowing access into the small room on the roof in the northeast corner that contains a musket and some armor. Am I misremembering? Is there a switch? Where is it?

And off-topic entirely, anyone else notice how much wasted space exists inside barrels graphically? Everything gets compressed down into a tiny square when there's so much more space available. Seems like something that could be changed to make full barrels a little less crowded.

Thanks in advance and keep up the excellent work.
Crowley

Re: A mystery switch...

Post by Crowley »

I can at least tell that the switch to open the NE tower is right beneath the secret door, in the secret passage behind the kitchen under a crate.
SepiaAndDust

Post by SepiaAndDust »

"And off-topic entirely, anyone else notice how much wasted space exists inside barrels graphically? Everything gets compressed down into a tiny square when there's so much more space available. Seems like something that could be changed to make full barrels a little less crowded."

I wonder if that's not intentional. Real-world barrels are pretty deep, so you have to dig stuff out to get at the goodies on the bottom.
marzo
Site Admin

Post by marzo »

If memory serves, the courtyard hidden switch does something to nearby lampposts. It has been a while since I looked at its usecode, and I may be wrong, though.
------
Marzo Sette Torres Junior
aka Geometrodynamic Dragon
[url=http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html]How To Ask Questions The Smart Way[/url]
Malignant Manor
Site Admin

Post by Malignant Manor »

All the lampposts around the castle and mint will turn on.
Ezric

Post by Ezric »

Thanks for the answers! Greatly appreciated.

One more if I may...

Is there a key to the locked door in the jewelry shop in Britain? I've never found one.
Malignant Manor
Site Admin

Not that I've found. I've got a compiled list of keys and what they should open (or would if the key existed) here.
Natreg

Post by Natreg »

I may be wrong but I think in my first playthrough of ultima 7 I managed to open that door... I don't remember where the key was ....

btw Malignant Manor, good list. But I think the numbers missing are just qualities for levers and switchs.
Malignant Manor
Site Admin

I've gotten the gold plenty of times but only because I collected so many items that the walls disappeared.
Wizardry Dragon

Post by Wizardry Dragon »

The mint door can be lockpicked, with great difficulty. Failing that you can steal the key from the nearby house, the mayor's if I recall correctly.

Wizardry Dragon
Cheers, Wizardry Dragon
Lead Designer, Ultima VII: The Feudal Lands
www.thefeudallands.ca
Malignant Manor
Site Admin

We're not talking about the mint door. We're talking about the jeweler's door. There's no key with that quality in game. (Search for it in Exult Studio.) Also, lockpicks will not work on the jeweler's door nor the mint's.
Wizardry Dragon

Lockpicks definetely work on the mint door, though I was cheating at the time so that may be a factor. I misunderstood what door you were talking about. Indeed, the jeweler's door has no associated key. The only half-legitimate way of getting in is hackmoving, if you can call that half-legitimate.

Wizardry Dragon
Cheers, Wizardry Dragon
www.thefeudallands.ca
Shaun

Post by Shaun »

You could get the key to the mint by killing the banker; she had the key on her. You can then resurrect her and she would continue to exchange money for you. The stockpile at the jeweler's wasn't that impressive so I never tried it, but he might have the key on him...
Wizardry Dragon

It's something I should edit in but no - if you search for a key for that door in es you won't find one.

Wizardry dragon
Cheers, Wizardry Dragon
www.thefeudallands.ca