Animations from the SNES version?

NOTICE: This forum is archived as read only.
Please use the Github Discussions at https://github.com/exult/exult/discussions
Forum rules
NOTICE: This forum is archived as read only.
Please use the Github Discussions at https://github.com/exult/exult/discussions
NH

Animations from the SNES version?

Post by NH »

Is it possible to import the animations from the SNES version of Ultima7 somehow?

They are superior to the PC version.
SepiaAndDust

Re: Animations from the SNES version?

Post by SepiaAndDust »

I doubt it. IIRC, we can't even legally use graphics from SI in BG unless a specific check is done ensure that both games are installed. I don't know of any way we could ensure that a legitimate SNES cartridge is owned.
torgus dragon

Post by torgus dragon »

If you have the rom on your harddrive by law you have to own the cartridge. Isn't that the same logic exult uses that because the game is install you own a copy of the actual game?

I never knew there was an snes version any major differences? I know what I'll be playing tonight...
torgus dragon

Post by torgus dragon »

Exult doesn't do a cd check in order for it to run. Why would we need to do a cartridge check? The rom demands ownership of game.
Dominus
Site Admin

Post by Dominus »

Yes we do not check for the CD-Rom or floppy since it's just too many things to consider and WE do not provide n installer for the games.
But keep it honest and you must say that about 99% of the people having the rom do NOT own the game...
--
Read the documentation and the FAQ! There is no excuse for not reading them! RTFM
Read the Rules!
We do not support Piracy/Abandonware/Warez!
Colourless
Site Admin

Post by Colourless »

Exult could be modified to load the data from the ROM, but someone would first have to find out all the data offsets in the ROM and then you'd need to do palette conversion as i'm assuming that the SNES game doesn't use the same palette as the DOS game. As we wouldn't be providing the ROM, or the graphics from the ROM there shouldn't be any legal problem with Exult loading data from the ROM.

Exult as it is doesn't remove the copy protection checks from the original games. You still *need* the original manuals/map in order to play the games.
Malignant Manor
Site Admin

Post by Malignant Manor »

There's a ton of problems with this and here are just a few of them.

I the snes version has lie down frames at all nor likely casting frames (guess you can use the spell item animation frames). Dead bodies definitely are not shown though you could use the dos shapes for them, other missing frames would look wrong. Another problem may be size especially since when I was forcing myself through parts of the game, I didn't notice many different creatures nor many of the weapons. There are no animations for weapons not in the snes game.

Only neutral animals I remember are two frame sheep and horses. Many things like the spider, drake, and cyclops are not animated to use the dos weapons/unarmed. I doubt the companions or other humans have any attack animations at all. Weapons also only show in hands when swung.

But keep it honest and you must say that about 99% of the people having the rom do NOT own the game...
Less than .0001 percent of people with roms of games they actually own extracted all of them themselves which is the only legal way. So this may likely not include anyone playing Exult at all.
Malignant Manor
Site Admin

Post by Malignant Manor »

I changed part of a sentence and forgot to fix it.
I the snes version has lie down frames at all nor likely casting frames (guess you can use the spell item animation frames).
= I don't think the snes version has lie down frames at all nor likely casting frames (guess you can use the spell item animation frames for casting).
NH

Post by NH »

I think at least some option (even if its not from the SNES version) is worth considering, because the animations in the PC version are really bad.
Dominus
Site Admin

Post by Dominus »

I think at least some option (even if its not from the SNES version) is worth considering, because the animations in the PC version are really bad.
Can you elaborate on which animations you mean?
The only option that can be offered is that people make new art.
--
Read the documentation and the FAQ! There is no excuse for not reading them! RTFM
Read the Rules!
We do not support Piracy/Abandonware/Warez!
William

Post by William »

I really don't see how the graphics of the SNES version are preferable. They seem about the same as the PC version to me. Maybe slightly smoother edges, but in other ways they leave a lot more to be desired for me.

Post by Guest »

They're much more fluent
devon2

Post by devon2 »

do you just mean smooth scrolling? I know the snes had that while the pc one was limited to 8px tile/jerky scrolling. Other than that I can't see much of a difference in the animations, but I am playing the snes version on my ds... so not a huge screen and the timing is way off to begin with. The color palette is way different on the snes, much brighter, and imho worse, but my friend likes it better so who knows.