Apologise

NOTICE: This forum is archived as read only.
Please use the Github Discussions at https://github.com/exult/exult/discussions
Forum rules
NOTICE: This forum is archived as read only.
Please use the Github Discussions at https://github.com/exult/exult/discussions
kieves1

Apologise

Post by kieves1 »

Hi again

Im sorry if i broke forum rules with regard to a legit download of U7.I went to my parents house this morning and after an hour of searching i found my U7 complete cd rom set lurking next to my old 486 :)
I will re install when i get home but i will have to find the answers to the security questions as i cant find the manual at the moment :(

Again apologies

kieves
Nikoomba

Re: Apologise

Post by Nikoomba »

you can download ultima 7 quiet easily it is abandonware (if im not mistaken of course)

just search ultima 7 on google and you´ll find how to download it

or check out [censored] to download it.

you cant miss it
kieves1

Post by kieves1 »

I dont think the site supports abandonware.Any way i have found my old game anyway now :)
Andrea B Previtera

Post by Andrea B Previtera »

Before this thread gets closed again - I don't know about US, but the (scarce) EU regulations on software- as far as I know, allow one to obtain a copy of a software he previously legally owned - by any mean, provided he still retains the original support/license/whatever came with the original buy.

For example you can buy a pirated music cd on the street, if you retain the original one. The seller is obviously still out of any legal term, but you're not. It's considered equivalent to a silly way to copy your software/music/etc. for personal use.
alagner

Post by alagner »

Abandonware is not a clear term I'm afraid. It's generally sth illegal but no one would care... I bought U7 as well as many other games just because of the respect towards Origin (R.I.P.) and their job. But another thing makes me wonder - isn't it just nice to have a cd box in your hands, a nice cloth map etc.? It's the same way with downloading mp3's - I simply prefer to have the original cd or at least tape - just for the feel of owing a 'real' 'touchable' thing, not just some data on hdd, but a case, booklet made of high quality paper...

But enough of dreaming, wondering and philosophy. Guys, lock this thread plz, as it's rather pointless.

And btw - Andrea - that's more-less the general European law, but in some cases the licence of specific software may differ (i.e. not allow you to make backup copies and stuff like that).
A.M.Miera
vel. Alagner Dragon
marzo
Site Admin

Post by marzo »

In any country which took part on the Berne convention, it is illegal to distribute copies of old software and games without the express permission of the copyright holder; hence, you can't legally download a copy of U7 or SI PERIOD. If you did, you are breaking the law and are a software pirate -- regardless of what the site you downloaded it from may have misled you into believing.

(There is, by the way, a special provision for distributing your legally purchased copy of a software -- the First-sale doctrine.)

While you may have issues with the current law, breaking it is not the way to get it changed. You can try pleading to EA to release U7 & SI into the public domain, try to rally the community into buying the Ultima games from EA and put them into the public domain or you can call your legislators and tell them you are unhappy about this law.

And that is final.
------
Marzo Sette Torres Junior
aka Geometrodynamic Dragon
[url=http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html]How To Ask Questions The Smart Way[/url]