strange flickering

NOTICE: This forum is archived as read only.
Please use the Github Discussions at https://github.com/exult/exult/discussions
Forum rules
NOTICE: This forum is archived as read only.
Please use the Github Discussions at https://github.com/exult/exult/discussions
bagelobo

strange flickering

Post by bagelobo »

Anyone had this problem? I just installed to the new Exult 1.1.x build and have been playing Serpent Isle for a few days. Suddenly today, the game starts flickering whenever I move around. I didn't notice anything which might have caused it.

I thought maybe my computer needed a reboot, but that didn't fix the problem. I then tried to start a new game, and to my surprise, it did not flicker. Next, i reloaded my save (which was flickering previously) after restarting with a non-flicker game. The loaded save ran smoothly until I walked across the drawbridge of Serpent's fang keep. I noticed that some music was triggered at this spot also, which makes me believe it may be somehow related to that. Lastly, I tried loading the save with Exult 1.00 and I did not have any flickering problems.

I am now debating whether to play Serpent Isle with Exult 1.00 and the inferior music, or to continue with 1.1.x and deal with the annoying flickering, hoping that it may get better at some point. Any help is appreciated.
bagelobo

Re: strange flickering

Post by bagelobo »

I investigated this a little more and it has something to do with the helm of light. When i don't wear this item, the game doesnt have any flickering problems, however, when i wear the helm the flickering starts happening again. :/ I guess it's back to torches.
bagelobo

Post by bagelobo »

Ok.. i think I found a temporary fix in case anyone else has this problem. The flickering is triggered when you wear the helm and move into an area where the lighting is different, like walking into a dark cave from outside in the daylight. If you walk into the area with new lighting, then remove the helm, and put it back on, the area will be lit and the flickering will not happen (until you move into another area where lighting is different, where you would have to repeat the process to fix the flicker problem).
Guru Dragon

Post by Guru Dragon »

I'd like to reopen this problem with the Helm of Light causing flickering, as it still occurs in 1.4.0.5. I'm thankful I'm not epileptic.
marzo
Site Admin

Post by marzo »

You know... instead of digging through countless threads until you found and resurrected a six-year-old, clearly forgotten thread, you should have submitted a bug report with a save game in which the issue can be reliably reproduced. It would have been far less work, and it would have the guarantee that the issue will not sink into oblivion again, as it so clearly has.
------
Marzo Sette Torres Junior
aka Geometrodynamic Dragon
[url=http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html]How To Ask Questions The Smart Way[/url]
Guru Dragon

Post by Guru Dragon »

Sorry about that, I'm still a beginner to the Exult engine and I'm not sure when something should be discussed versus added as a bug. The bug report has been made.
Malignant Manor
Site Admin

Post by Malignant Manor »

You can likely do a kind of temporary "fix", now that the patching is fixed, by unchecking usecode events in Exult Studio and saving it. That is, if it is the problem I can replicate. It will still give off light but not likely full brightness.