U6 Online

NOTICE: This forum is archived as read only.
Please use the Github Discussions at https://github.com/exult/exult/discussions
Forum rules
NOTICE: This forum is archived as read only.
Please use the Github Discussions at https://github.com/exult/exult/discussions
LinkDragon

U6 Online

Post by LinkDragon »

I'm not sure if any of you already know about this site,
but I've been playing this lately and it really seems like
more people should be playing!
So if you guys don't already know about it, here ya go.
I don't ever recall seeing it mentioned here, but I may
have missed it. :)

http://www.geocities.com/galleondragon/
Vasculio294

Re: U6 Online

Post by Vasculio294 »

Question about this online game? Is it the official game itself, rigid to support multiplayer? Or is it U6 rebuild that is online?

If this game becomes a success, i wonder if they might be interested in doing Savage Empire and Martain Dreams online?
Garrett

Post by Garrett »

It's fanbased, that's for sure, and AFAIK you need the original game files in order to play. Someone will no doubt add the Ultima Worlds later on.

It sounds cool an' all, and I'll definitely give it a go, but I'd sooner have an online U7... sigh...
Mandragor

Post by Mandragor »

This is great! (sort of)

I advise anyone with Ultima6 to at least try it for one or two hours. Great
fun and helpful players, although not a "thriving" community compared to
WoW and UO.
drcode
Site Admin

Post by drcode »

What can you do in the game? Is there a U6-like plot you can follow?
artaxerxes
Site Admin

Post by artaxerxes »

been playing for 2 days now. It's amazing! The game is split in 2 parts: the quest stuff and the non-quest stuff. Every quest item exist only once per player. For instance, if you and I are playing together and we approach a shrine, if I got the moonstone already, it won't show for me but it will show for you! Non-quest stuff shows the same for everyone. You really got to try it. It fabulous. A work of art!

Artaxerxes
Garrett

Post by Garrett »

WHAT?! Instanced dungeon items!?

Wow. And I thought that idea only existed in my head. ;)

mmm... must try... yessss... awesome stuff...
MV

Post by MV »

I just tried to make a new character, but after doing the tedius questions thing, it "froze" on the screen that had the large beaker of colored waters in it. :( Ah well.
LinkDragon

Post by LinkDragon »

My brother had that same problem the first time he tried to make a character, and I suggested he just try closing the game and start a new character again. It worked for him that time.. I'm not sure what the problem was, though. Could be something caused by miscommunication between the game and the server..
Dangus

Post by Dangus »

You know..... if we could merge this with Exult somehow, that would be pretty amazing.....
MV

Post by MV »

Man I've been playing this all day, and only level 2 so far..... It's very good, and a few things are different, that's why I'm getting a little confused. :)

I found that you get no starting equipment, so that means no spell book, I have to go buy one, and you start with no companions, I've yet to find iolo, he's gotta be someplace. And no orb of the moons either, at least I havn't found it yet if there is one.
Garrett

Post by Garrett »

Are you supposed to get AI companions at all? Perhaps this is like other MMOs and you're supposed to team up with humans... although that would probably cause some plot problems...
Mandragor

Post by Mandragor »

You can recruit fighters in bars, not sure if you can recruit people like
Iolo, Dupre and the like..

It's pretty hard for a newbie, though, I'm level 3 and I'm still mainly
fighting sewer rats.
MV

Post by MV »

Hey, you were just in the game I was playing then. My character is Doh. :D

And yea, I'm STILL level two, but I can advance to 3, but I've just bought a boat and will make my way to jeholm as I want a strength increase.

And I've so far "liberated" 3 shrines

I was able to recruit dupre and shamino in the castle, but I couldn't find Iolo, but I told them to leave as I wanted to go solo. As far as I can tell, it's a multiplayer single player game. As in you'll be able to do the whole adventure by yourself with your own party, while everyone else can do the same thing, or they can team up (just follow around) each other to places.

Based on this, they should make a U7 based game for sure.
Garrett

Post by Garrett »

Yeah, I remember Doh. :)

Can you ride in other players' ships? It would be cool to grab a few people and go, er, somewhere.

As for an U7 version the mouse control is the big issue. It would probably need to be like U8 where only a nearby item can be moved.

For an U7 version it would be nice to have a formal joining process like with the NPCs. That way you could see the other player's HUD icon so you know when to heal them or whatever, and there could also be arrows at the side of the screen so you can locate your misplaced buddy if they go offscreen without you.
artaxerxes
Site Admin

Post by artaxerxes »

here is what I know so far:

You start with almost nothing. Stealing is very strongly opposed, so that really, you have to do the game without any stealing at all. The monsters only give out 1 or 2 gold piece at a time (maybe 3 but rare) and no equipment, so you have to fight a lot to get anywhere. Money managment is crucial in u6o. Also, healing is tough. LB will only cure you, not heal nor resurrect, so you are dependant on either: spells/potions, other players or food.
The game is obviously not turn-based, so if you stay beside a monster for too long, you'll be dead. Exp is hard to get by and after playing many hours, I'm only getting close to level 4. If you die (which happens easily if you are not careful) you can be resurrected by another player, or you can press F1 but then you loose 1/8 of your exp.
I would not call it a multiplayer singleplayer online role since you can team up with others to go adventuring (which happens all the time).
The shading effects are great, just a pain that it is dark so often and for so long...
And Iolo is by his hut! Don't forget to ask him about the book!

Artaxerxes
Moneo

Post by Moneo »

Its a nice game - though, as was mentioned: an exult U7 online game would be 100x better
MV

Post by MV »

Hey, moneo, I hope you got started good. :)

Artaxerxes, I would call it a singleplayer multiplayer game, as I've pretty much solo'd to the point where I've now done 5 shrines and am looking for the tomb in moonglow. I just forget where the heck it is. :D I did the library, and found the two books, but for some reason I can't give the wizard of oz to lord british. As for healing, don't forget the healers can heal you too. :)

EXP is easy enough to come by, you just have to make sure you know your limits and don't die. Sadly I was doing lots of dying when I was level2, and several times could have leveled up, but I kept dying. Ah well, I'm at 4 now anyway, and really need 5 though to really get the game going as level 5 is where you can use the pickpocket spell...... And I am finally strong enough to kill gargoyles at the shrines, (only one on one though).

Oh yea, I thought that Iolo would be at his house with the horse, and he was. :) You have to ask him for the book though, as he doesn't have it in his inventory.

I also did the spider cavern, it's pretty cool, just make sure you have red potions or a spell book with cure in it.

The only time I've gotten really stuck was at the shrine of spirituality. I couldn't get out so I had to KAL LOR myself out. Which is ok because you loose about half of the EXP you would from dying and pressing F1.
Kensu

Post by Kensu »

Played it. Eeeh. I'll wait for the Savage Empire upgrade.
Then they could call it Tribes. :)
Vasculio294

Post by Vasculio294 »

Ah! Another fan of Savage Empire.
Kensu

Post by Kensu »

Yeah, I'm a big SE fan. In some ways I like it better than MD. You need to understand that I played SE in late 91 and MD in 2000.
The U6 engine is so aggrivating once you've used the U7 one...
I can honestly say I'd actually put in some serious time on an online version of Savage Empire. Especially if they had a dedicated scenarist who would add plots to the game... That and they added a double-click-most-likely feature to the game. (I mean, seriously, do you think people would click on a book because they wanted to attack it?)
Vasculio294

Post by Vasculio294 »

Did you see any easter eggs in Savage Empire? Like the Moe, Larry and Curly?
Kensu

Post by Kensu »

Yeah, I found the stooges. What's interesting is that Moe has a specific response for "Nyuk".
Paladin

Post by Paladin »

Hey, having Savage Empire wouldn't be a bad idea! I just have to actually play that game for real for once! :P

Anyway, this sounds fantastic from what I heard so far. I think I'll have a go as soon as I get back home from work. Like everyone else, I'd DEFINATELY like Ultima 7 (perferably the Serpent's isle part) be made online if it possible.