ipack / shapes.vga trouble

NOTICE: This forum is archived as read only.
Please use the Github Discussions at https://github.com/exult/exult/discussions
Forum rules
NOTICE: This forum is archived as read only.
Please use the Github Discussions at https://github.com/exult/exult/discussions
SepiaAndDust

ipack / shapes.vga trouble

Post by SepiaAndDust »

Having a bit of trouble lately when adding new shapes. If I make a new shapes.vga file for my mod, then ipack -u newshapes.txt, everything works fine... the *first* time.

The next time I try it, however, I get an error message:

Reading \"
Warning, trailing slash in path: "\"
Digital SFX's file specified: jmsfx.flx... but file not found
Shape::store_frame: framenum >= frames_size (3 >= 2)
terminate called after throwing an instance of 'std::bad_alloc'
what(): std::bad_alloc

and

Exult version 1.4.05cvs
Built at: Sep 3 2008 11:44:49
Compile-time options: USE_FMOPL_MIDI, USE_EXULTSTUDIO, HAVE_ZIP_SUPPORT
Compiler: gcc, version: 4.2.1-dw2 (mingw32-2)

Platform: Windows 98 SE Version 4.10 Build 2222
Exult path settings:
Data : data
Digital music : data\music

Black Gate : not found (\.)
Forge of Virtue : found
exult_bg.flx : found
Serpent Isle : not found (\.)
Silver Seed : found
exult_si.flx : found
Starting a BLACK GATE game with the 'Newmod' modification.
Game path settings:
Static : C:\UC\ULTIMA7\static
Gamedat : C:\UC\ULTIMA7\mods\Newmod\gamedat
Savegame: C:\UC\ULTIMA7\mods\Newmod\saves
Patch : C:\UC\ULTIMA7\mods\Newmod\data

Gamedat identity FORGE
Reading usecode file.
Support for SI Paperdolls is enabled.
Support for SI Multiracial Avatars is enabled.
Loading /exult_bg.flx...
Loading default keybindings

So... what have I got messed up here? It was working without any significant problems not long ago, so I've obviously broken something, somewhere.

It started giving me the problems with an older (a few weeks ago) version of Exult and Studio, so I upgraded to the newest, but that didn't help. Also, I'm using the newest Exult Tools.

Any help will be greatly appreciated! Thanks.
marzo
Site Admin

Re: ipack / shapes.vga trouble

Post by marzo »

If you make the VGA file directly from ES (discarding the old one and importing the pngs manually), does it cause any problems? Have you been using ipack to update vga file or to create one that you put on patch dir?

If you try putting relative paths in the ipack script, does the problem still happen? (i.e.: put the ipack script at "C:/UC/ULTIMA7/mods/Newmod/data/" and remove that path from all paths in the script (no leading slashes in the script); in the command line, cd to that dir before calling ipack.)

It *is* possible that ipack got broken recently; these questions might help narrow down the problem.
------
Marzo Sette Torres Junior
aka Geometrodynamic Dragon
[url=http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html]How To Ask Questions The Smart Way[/url]
marzo
Site Admin

Post by marzo »

Oh, and: are you trying to create flats past the first 150 shapes (not supported)?
------
[url=http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html]How To Ask Questions The Smart Way[/url]
SepiaAndDust

Post by SepiaAndDust »

Yeah, I made a new shapes.vga file from ES in Newmod/data. I've also made a newmod.vga file, and it has the same problems. If it matters, I deleted it after the test.

I have ipack and the config file for it both in Newmod/data, and it doesn't seem to matter whether I use absolute or relative paths or which dir I call ipack from.

I haven't gotten the dadgum thing to run since its last crash, so I haven't had a chance to check if I can edit directly in ES, but I'll let you know once it's up and running again.

Thanks for looking into it.
SepiaAndDust

Post by SepiaAndDust »

Extra flats aren't supported? That could be the problem. Lemme get the mod running again, and I'll try some non-flats. Thanks for cluing me in!
SepiaAndDust

Post by SepiaAndDust »

OK, I simply deleted the whole mod (but not my backups... I may be slow, but I ain't dumb) and made a new one. Then I added a new blank map and a new shapes.vga.

Using ES to directly add shapes works fine, as far as I can tell. Tried ipack again, only without the "flat" designation, and I got the same error as before. So, later tonight, I'll try making a test dir and reloading the original game there, then adding a new mod. I'll also reinstall Exult, ES, and Tools, just to make sure. I'll letcha know.

Thanks again!
marzo
Site Admin

Post by marzo »

Out of curiosity: is it a new mod or a new *game*? Because for mods, you don't have to really create a new shapes.vga, just directly edit the one ES finds and it will save only the difference.

Later today (when I am back home) I will make some tests with ipack just to be sure it isn't broken and to try to find the cause if it is.
------
SepiaAndDust

Post by SepiaAndDust »

New mod. I was only creating a new shapes.vga to try to get the crashed mod running.

OK, here's what I did tonight. I installed U7 from disk into a new directory. Reinstalled the newest Exult, ES, and Tools. Started the game, brought up ES and made a new Mod. I let everything go to its default destination--the small shapes.vga went to the Patch directory, for instance. Closed down, and restarted the mod and ES. Made a new blank map and manually added a few shapes for scrolls and beds. Up to this point, no troubles.

I updated the paths in the config file for ipack and tried to add a few non-flats... same error. Well, there is one small difference. The error I was getting was:

Reading <00.png
Error reading from file <00.png

The newest one is:

Reading -00.png
Error reading from file -00.png

Dunno if that means anything, though.

Once ipack errors like that, the shape #s it references (1200 and 1201 in this case) are gone... at least, ES isn't showing any shapes beyond the haystacks. For all I know, it could be corrupting the entire Patch/shape.vga file. I'll have to check that.

Thanks!
SepiaAndDust

Post by SepiaAndDust »

OK, it doesn't seem to be affecting the entire Patch/shapes.vga file, only the shapes listed in the ipack config. Also, I'm still able to use ipack if I remark out all but one line at a time, like this:

archive C:/Ultima/Ultima7/mods/Newmod/patch/shapes.vga
1202/15: C:/Ultima/Ultima7/mods/Newmod/patch/Graphics/Streets/STRTALL_
# 1203/2: C:/Ultima/Ultima7/mods/Newmod/patch/Graphics/Streets/Swords/SWD_
# 1204/3: C:/Ultima/Ultima7/mods/Newmod/patch/Graphics/Streets/Swords/SCIM_
marzo
Site Admin

Post by marzo »

I think I got the bug.

It is actually interesting: technically speaking, ipack has been broken for, well, just about forever. However, the issue never shows up... unless you are adding shapes starting at 1200 or higher; then all hell breaks loose. It is fixed now.
------
SepiaAndDust

Post by SepiaAndDust »

HA! I picked 1200 so that the Keyring Mod's shapes could later be mixed in with as little difficulty as possible. Odd that it would turn out to be the start of the broken area.

Thanks, Marzo!
marzo
Site Admin

Post by marzo »

As I noted in another thread, SVN is down for writing, so the fix will be delayed by up to 24 hours (according to SF site status).
------
SepiaAndDust

Post by SepiaAndDust »

Thanks for the heads-up. Twenty-four hours? I guess I have time to go break UCC now, too. ;-)
marzo
Site Admin

Post by marzo »

As it turns out, it took far less time than they had stated; they fix is away.
------