BG or SI

NOTICE: This forum is archived as read only.
Please use the Github Discussions at https://github.com/exult/exult/discussions
Forum rules
NOTICE: This forum is archived as read only.
Please use the Github Discussions at https://github.com/exult/exult/discussions
eternal light

BG or SI

Post by eternal light »

I think SI is better then BG
Orioneth

Re: BG or SI

Post by Orioneth »

I might agree. When I first played the game (at the grand age of 6), the Black Gate always confused me. It didn't have enough direction. Serpent Isle's story seems so much more cohesive and less "follow Elizabeth and Abraham about a bit and let that be the story".

In BG, I'd just resort to building a fort on the pirate settlement on one of the northeast tips of Britannia, slowly becoming more infuriated as pirates respawned there (I didn't know about eggs back then). 'Ger off my land!!'
Vasculio294

Post by Vasculio294 »

"at the grand age of 6"

Wow! You were a youngling!

I was starting my first years of middle school when Blackgate was born.

I'm guessing you around 21 right?
Uncle Rico: Napoleon, you know we can't afford the fun pack. What, do you think money grows on trees in this family? Take it back! And get some Pampers for you and your brother while you're at it.
Vasculio294

Post by Vasculio294 »

But agree with everone! Serpent isle is my favorite
Uncle Rico: Napoleon, you know we can't afford the fun pack. What, do you think money grows on trees in this family? Take it back! And get some Pampers for you and your brother while you're at it.
Orioneth

Post by Orioneth »

"I'm guessing you around 21 right", yeah just coming up to my 20th birthday! :)
Andrea B Previtera

Post by Andrea B Previtera »

As trite, old and obnoxious the "BG vs SI" question is, it has that special lure all the important life questions seem to have ;) So one is bound to answer and discuss about it anyway!

Well, I can't tell which one of the two is better. They're just different:
BG is all about exploration, freedom. It's the way some rpg masters will let their players play: they build a world in detail, then they let them roam in it like lab rats and create a story by themselve. It's a colorful game with a slow pace and no real mysteries. Your quest is clear from the beginning. The fellowship is evil, the guardian is coming, etc. So you'll just slowly explore the land, occasionally tripping in some fundamental quests.

SI is all about unveiling great mysteries and getting involved in a well defined sequence of events. The whole world is built around this concept, so that it's linear and you're not free to explore it as you wish. No boats, areas which are unlocked only at a certain points of the story, and so on. The plot is a lot more complex, so it's like reading an interactive and well written interactive fantasy novel.
yhevhe

Post by yhevhe »

Still, I find SI lacking something... Not that's not good, but it's lacking... I like games that make you think about your own existence, or philosophies, games that somehow touch your emotions and reality without getting out of the game and fantasy atmosphere.
Ethan

Post by Ethan »

More nonsensicality! I really enjoy SI up until the point where everyone dies. After that, it just seems like a kinda boring hack-and-slash, carry X to Y game. Still creative, but it doesn't hold my attention. Not to mix topics, but I'd really like to see some alternative bane storylines implemented.

E
Omnibus

Post by Omnibus »

I agree completely. It had been so long since I played SI that I forgot all the people in the world died! Man, it was quite a downer after that. Mainly what I remember about SI is having to download patches and patches and patches that sometimes worked and somtimes didn't. I played U7 all the way through a couple times, but could only choke SI down once, and was relieved when it was over. True, it had it high moments, like the island of naked people, but nothing can outdo the frustration of dealing with things that just plain don't work. And since most of the game happened after the whole world was dead, it was definately not as fun as U7. I liked the freedom of U7 where you could take time to explore the world without (too much of) a fear of forgetting where you were in the Quest.
Vasculio294

Post by Vasculio294 »

Karnax mention something about the people of serpent isle being resurrected once balance was restored. But that never came into effect.
SB-X

Post by SB-X »

He says that something like it may happen in the future, not while you're still on SI. I think the developers added that to make the player feel a little better about the bane's killings. (still, some players liked the new banes story)
Vasculio294

Post by Vasculio294 »

(still, some players liked the new banes story)
Whats this new bane story?
SB-X

Post by SB-X »

Sorry... I shouldn't have said "new". I mean there was an original story and they didn't have time so they replaced it with this new one. Where everyone in the cities is killed by the banes.
eternal light

Post by eternal light »

does anyone notice that a "city" is usually compiled of only 10 or 11 charcters?
Vasculio294

Post by Vasculio294 »

Sorry... I shouldn't have said "new". I mean there was an original story and they didn't have time so they replaced it with this new one. Where everyone in the cities is killed by the banes.

Yeah! Originally Some of the moonshade residents were suppose to have survived.

I'm not sure about the rest of Serpent Isle
_olarin

Post by _olarin »

HISTORICAL ULTIMA FACTS

goblin king pomdirgun might have had an easy time conquering fawn and monitor, had the rumours of a fearsome troll taking up residence in the forest been true. alas, when he sent a company of goblins to talk or tame the beast into an alliance, they found only a human outlaw by the name of stokes, embroiled in an intense argument with other, distant humans via the strange writing on his glowing box.
_olarin

Post by _olarin »

argh! i replied to the wrong thread. that was meant to respond to the UU1 thread.