new dungeons again

NOTICE: This forum is archived as read only.
Please use the Github Discussions at https://github.com/exult/exult/discussions
Forum rules
NOTICE: This forum is archived as read only.
Please use the Github Discussions at https://github.com/exult/exult/discussions
eternal light

new dungeons again

Post by eternal light »

Recently i've been getting nothing but silence from everybody(sorry if this is tech. spamming)(don't really even know what spamming means.. I assume advertising and i guess this wouldn't count. anyway...) about an idea to remake the old dungeons in u7 liek destard and wrong and despise, the problem with them is they are far to small. For example once in a dungeon in u6 i went 6 levels down into the earth, and these are big levels too some twice the size of the whole dungeon in u7. also i'm not even counting the size of the dungeons in previous ultimas. I figure maybe we could increase the size of some dungeons even if its for the sake of treasure finding. maybe work in a side plot. the dungeons in u7 have one level and it aint that big either.

Thanks.
yhevhe

Re: new dungeons again

Post by yhevhe »

Well... I guess that's not easy, and it would change the original game. Some people say that this has it's reasons in the fact that the underworld colapsed (althrough there is a deep dungeon below Castle Britannia in UWII). Also, I don't know if the engine would let you have multiple level dungeon (I think it does, at least in SI). I guess that if you are willing to help make the dungeons, some other people may want to join too :)
eternal light

Post by eternal light »

I would, except I am only 17 and have no background or training in the area of programming. If there is someway people could give me simple directions or explanations though i would be happy to go through with it.
eternal light

Post by eternal light »

Besides maybe the underworld collapsed, but what about the stygain abyss in UU1? or what about the dungeons like you said. And besides, when U6 finished and we sent the codex back, it was supposed to stop it there would be a little bit left. After all how could an entire world, like in u5 completely collapse? (by the way were there any towns or cities or people in the underworld of u5?)
Curiousis

Post by Curiousis »

If you were doing that, I'd use Exult's multi-map support to create a separate map and design all your dungeons on that map. You could then use teleport eggs to transfer the party from outside of the dungeon to the inside and through the various levels of the dungeon.
Crysta the Elf

Post by Crysta the Elf »

id be happy to help on the construction side... im pretty good with layout and decoration, and with Exult Studio its not too hard to do

now.. what he said...... should make a second map and do the additional floors on that, adding stairs to them in the original dungeons... move some native NPCs around if necessary... heck, the hard part would be adding new NPCs so things can even out.. (biggest part of NPC additions i would say'd belong to Destard.. the place the Abyssal refugees were sent, iirc :P)
Snizzle

Post by Snizzle »

What someone should make is the gargoyle homeworld. After the codex was returned the underworld should have stopped collapsing and started growing back, so there should be some gargoyles down there reclaiming there homeworld.

plus it could add a whole new batch of side quests :)
eternal light

Post by eternal light »

I AGREE!!!! YES FOR THE UNDERWORLD! lol
marzo
Site Admin

Post by marzo »

While I agree that making larger dungeons would be interesting, I think that re-making the Gargoyle homeworld would be a step backwards. There would be no reason for them to move to Britannia, and all gargoyles from Terfin and Vesper would have to be relocated. A huge amount of dialog would have to be rewritten -- and not only for Gargoyles, as some humans also mention it. The whole racial conflict would have to be dropped. And so on. So: improve the dungeons yes, but leave the Gargoyle homeworld out of it, please.
------
Marzo Sette Torres Junior
aka Geometrodynamic Dragon
[url=http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html]How To Ask Questions The Smart Way[/url]
Crysta the Elf

Post by Crysta the Elf »

yeah... especially since they already moved their shrines... it would be a heckuva lot of work to move em back :P
cyberfugue

Post by cyberfugue »

The gargoyle race should definitely stay in Britannia - but it would still be cool to be able to access an abandoned semi-ruined Gargoyle homeworld, via a side quest. There could be a few NPC gargs there that never moved and still managed to survive.
eternal light

Post by eternal light »

I agree with cyberfugue
Snizzle

Post by Snizzle »

I didn't say to relocate the entire gargoyle race, but just add a small group (2-4) that are trying to make the underworld hospitable again. Or maybe they could just be an expedition trying to recover some stuff that was left behind.
Timo Takalo

Post by Timo Takalo »

"Also, I don't know if the engine would let you have multiple level dungeon (I think it does, at least in SI)."

In Serpent Isle the stairs in dungeons are for the most part just teleporters sending you to another part of the dungeon which is actually located somewhere deep in the inaccessible sea.
eternal light

Post by eternal light »

is it possible to combine engines from other games withpot completely rewriting the game?
SB-X

Post by SB-X »

huh?
What other games? What do you mean by "rewriting the game"?
eternal light

Post by eternal light »

other games
like u said the SI engine does but BG doesn't. Rewriting the game meaning doing it all over.
dag

Post by dag »

well, rewriting the game will be fairly easy, as rewriting exult itself ;-)