forge of virtue

NOTICE: This forum is archived as read only.
Please use the Github Discussions at https://github.com/exult/exult/discussions
Forum rules
NOTICE: This forum is archived as read only.
Please use the Github Discussions at https://github.com/exult/exult/discussions
Alweiser

forge of virtue

Post by Alweiser »

At what earliest point in the game do people recommend heading to the Isle of Fire?
Thanks!
Andrea B Previtera

Re: forge of virtue

Post by Andrea B Previtera »

Whenever you need to roast some meat.
Alun Bestor

Post by Alun Bestor »

Leave it as long as possible, I say. The game is easy enough without an instant-kill sword and your stats boosted to max.

Though, it might seem a little silly to put it off until you're about to head to the Isle of the Avatar - I would do it around the time you start on the generator quests.
Alweiser

Post by Alweiser »

Great thanks! Now I have another question...

I was trying to install Forge of Virtue using the original disk. After it asks me what directory I want to install this to (c:), it gets stuck while looking for a legal directory... any help?
Thanks!
Alun Bestor

Post by Alun Bestor »

Well, you could try putting the original Ultima VII files in C:\ULTIMA7. Failing that, try C:\U7. I can't remember what the default install directory was.
Alweiser

Post by Alweiser »

Hmmm, nope... that didn't work either :( I tried putting the Ultima 7 folder right on the C drive and naming it ultima7 and u7, neither worked.

It's almost like it's a DOSbox problem, I noticed it gets stuck on a different directory when I increase the frameskip and F12 cpu speed... Or somehow some sort of incompatibility with the DOS emulator...
Alweiser

Post by Alweiser »

I've also tried running the install file from windows and encountered the same problem, locking up while searching for a legal directory. Actually when I go from the windows menu it starts searching for the legal directory and then closes down the window automatically without installing it.

I've also tried copying all of the contents from the disk into my ultima7 folder and running the install from there, no luck either. :(

I may need to purchase the Ultimate CD edition if I want to enjoy this game from my past completely. :(
Gradilla Dragon

Post by Gradilla Dragon »

Maybe you should try from an actual DOS system, or booting clean from a Win95/98 machine.
- Gradilla Dragon
dag

Post by dag »

Gradilla Dragon

Post by Gradilla Dragon »

He already tried using DOSBox.
- Gradilla Dragon
Andrea B Previtera

Virtual PC.
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtualpc/default.mspx
Nothing played all my old games better than that. From the famous, big ones, to the almost unknown from the eighties, games which run in 4 colors, used bizarre memory models, and so on.
dag

Post by dag »

> He already tried using DOSBox.

Ups. You're right, sorry.
MV

Post by MV »

You don't need dosbox or any other emulator to actually install the game/s. It'll just have a spew about running in protected mode when it gets to the sound setup screen and you just ignore that.
MV

Post by MV »

At what earliest point in the game do people recommend heading to the Isle of Fire?
Thanks!
When you're level 6.

Magic storm comes in handy when doing the test of courage. (lich and drakes).
Achile

Post by Achile »

I made it before going to Empath Abbey for the smoke bomb
Keldryn

Post by Keldryn »

I'd like to see an option in Exult to tone-down the stat boosts from Forge of Virtue. The stat boots do make the game far too easy, and make training for the Avatar mostly worthless.

Yes, I could play the game without doing the Isle of Fire quests, but they're fun, and a great part of the game.
Dominus
Site Admin

Post by Dominus »

you can easily cheat your stats down.
--
Read the documentation and the FAQ! There is no excuse for not reading them! RTFM
Read the Rules!
We do not support Piracy/Abandonware/Warez!
Natreg

Post by Natreg »

I usually go to the isle of fire after going to Vesper in the first place following Abraham and elizabeth (very early in the game). If you think that we the stat boosts it´s too easy, give Iolo the triple crossbow and someone a magic bow and they will make the game difficult enough thanks to their amazing AI :)

The game is too easy with the BlackSword. I have done entire dungeons with just the Avatar, including lthe last one with all the liches. The only way to make it difficult is having an entire party who can aid the enemys lol
Andrea B Previtera

Now, since everyone complains about how easy U7 is (with or without FOV), I must say that I can't remember an episode of the saga which was particularily hard to beat.

Maybe Pagan - because of that dreaded water and some very strong monsters - but again, you could jump run and slash in the woods for a couple hours and your stats would grow you to superhero levels.

Ultima 7 was easy but you didn't notice it - it was all about exploration and wondering on all those brilliant colours, and the world filling the whole screen instead of being confined to the upper left corner.

Ultima 6 was medium difficulty, but like all the other turn-based games - and thus also U5...U4...U3 and so on, once you understood how the enemies "thought" you could win any foe easily with minor spells and long range weapons.

Ultima 9? hahahaahhahahahahahahaha. Take a club. Left click, left click, left click, left click - ending sequence. And I wonder, I really wonder why they went through god knows which coding efforts to put in all those complex moves for each weapon, and that intricate magic system - when you can go through the game without casting anything and using the first thing you find on your path to win everyone.
Tristan de Inés

Post by Tristan de Inés »

U9 had some very ugly gameplay decisions, but it was "pretty" at the time.

Though I remember being very disappointed after hearing it would be full 3D 3rd person. I had hoped for U7 style gameplay with Diablo-style graphics.

Well... lets not start a U9 whining session again...
Alun Bestor

Post by Alun Bestor »

Dunno about you, but I found Ultima V bloody difficult - especially in the Underworld, where you'd get your ass handed to you if you were unprepared. There's a few unbalanced ways you can make the game much easier for yourself (magic axes, anyone?) but the combat and general game difficulty was still challenging and well-rounded.

Certainly a lot more challenging than I found Ultima VII. It has been said many times that U7 wasn't a game about combat, but that doesn't mean the game couldn't have been more enjoyable with a better combat system and balance.

In any case, I think Dominus has the right idea - If I replayed now, I'd hack my stats back down to normal levels again (or leave myself with a 'suitable' boost, like +5 or so), though there's not much you can do about the Black Sword except not use it.
noja888

Post by noja888 »

To go way way back..... Ultima 3 had a good combat progression (yes its quite dated) . U7 was a challange to keep your other party members from killing themselves in their AI sillyness. But I never noticed that really when the game was new.